New to EPI: Phantom

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: New to EPI: Phantom

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Dec 2020, 11:57

ahh.... so the lesser Slippery Elm did help.... but since he is also now feeling poorly, not wanting to eat, etc. etc.... these are typical signs of SID.... i would contact the vet and ask that they prescribe a 45 days course of Tylan/Tylosin Tartrate Soluble Powder antibiotic (with breakfast and dinner) and about halfway thru this 45 day regimen...start giving a pre+probiotic called Proviable. Typically i would suggest trying Proviable next BUT.... when they lose their appetite and start vomiting along with the horrific gas..... sometimes it helps more to do Tylan and then implement the pre+probiotics...

The other thing that might be needed....if he is still upchucking, but the poos are better.....( although hold off on this for at least a week of Phantom being on Tylan) ... is he "might" need Omeprazole..... but hold off on this until we try the other things first to see if it is really needed...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Dec 2020, 12:12

oh... meant to say... thanks for the pics... when people posts pics it REALLY helps us better help them when we can see the actual results............ :D
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TaylorN
State: Texas
Pet name: Phantom
My name: Taylor

Post by TaylorN » 23 Dec 2020, 12:13

As of lunch, he is not eating, even with the pumpkin mixed in. Gah! This dog. I have called my vet and am trying to get a Tylan prescription over the phone. No idea if they’ll do that, but they close tomorrow for the holidays and I work all day today. Man, this dog. :lol:
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:
  • 11/27: 42lbs, 12/3: 45lbs
    12/11: 48lbs, 12/17: 51lbs
    12/26: 55lbs, 1/6: 58lbs
    1/13: 61lbs

TaylorN

Post by TaylorN » 23 Dec 2020, 13:59

So, the vet doesn’t want him on Metro or Tylan. I approached asking for Tylan, and she talked about how Metro kills good bacteria and for an EPI dog, it’s bad. She went on to say Tylan does the same thing. Seems contradictory to what I’ve heard here.

She is prescribing some anti-nausea medication. She says that because he doesn’t have runny/bloody poop and is gaining 3lbs/week, he is “doing great for an EPI dog” and basically telling me not to shoot for the stars here. She did ask me to start him on FortiFlora. As of our phone call, I have ordered Proviable from Chewy and should have it soon. I really have no clue what caused the hacking this morning - he ate out of a slow feeder last night and did not have any issues until this morning. He has not vomited since the tiny bit he produced at 5am.

We will see how this goes.
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 23 Dec 2020, 15:55

he must be sore inside,

all I can suggest is no meat

Kara had scrambled egg and mashed potato for 14 days when she shedded her bowel due to gut inballance

but you need to insist on the Tylan

its your dog your money, or go eleswhere, I learned that early on, you stand your grand

and akk why they wont prescribe
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 23 Dec 2020, 18:24

Taylor, I buy my Tylan from a bird supply house called Foy's. No prescription. Once I had to call in an order & they confirmed that I knew the product was meant for pigeons, I said YES, and that was that. It's the same product I got from my vet.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

TaylorN

Post by TaylorN » 23 Dec 2020, 18:57

Pam I was looking but it seems they are out of stock. :\

EDIT: I have ordered the Tylan 100g from Stromberg's, another bird site. I will try convincing the vet at our next in-person appointment on 1/5/21, however, this will do for now. Let's hope it comes soon after Christmas.
Last edited by TaylorN on 23 Dec 2020, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

Weight progress:

TaylorN

Post by TaylorN » 23 Dec 2020, 19:11

Oh my goodness...so my vet's main argument regarding prescribing Tylan was the fact that Phantom's poop was "good." Look at what I came home to. I could scream.
Attachments
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (118.82 KiB) Viewed 2481 times

Weight progress:

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Dec 2020, 11:16

Hi Taylor - that is definitely NOT a good poop. Maybe you should email your vet a picture of the poop along with a picture of the Purina fecal score chart that we have on our website and point out that regardless of being an EPI dog, that's not a good poop and every EPI owner will tell you once their dog is stable their poops don't look like that they are usually a #2 or #3 on the scale. Also, you might want to print out the research we have on our website regarding using Tylan. Unfortunately your vet is not correct about Tylan killing the good bacteria - Tylan from my understanding does not kill any bacteria, rather it keeps the bad bacteria from reproducing. My vet was against Tylan as well when we were first diagnosed until I gave her all of the information regarding Tylan from our website and that was BEFORE we had the latest research. I'm glad you were able to find the Tylan - be sure to look at the dosing chart to make sure you're giving the right amount and give it 2x a day 12hrs apart for 45 days and then slowly wean off. If your dog's weight is within 5lbs of the next higher dose I would go ahead and give the higher dose knowing your dog will be gaining weight and you'll need to adjust it.

Keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Dec 2020, 11:23

Here are some quick links of things to give your vet

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/ (there is a link on this page to January 2020: Tylosin (Tylosin Tartrate/Tylan) is now listed in WSAVA (THE WORLD SMALL ANIMAL VETERINARY ASSOCIATION) “List of Essential Medicines for Dogs and Cats” )

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/tylosin

https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/tylosin
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.