1 Month with Phantom

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
TaylorN
State: Texas
Pet name: Phantom
My name: Taylor

1 Month with Phantom

Post by TaylorN » 26 Dec 2020, 20:05

Hi all,

Wanted to share a Phantom update. For those that are unfamiliar - I adopted Phantom on 11/24 at 42 lbs. He is some kind of GSD mix (DNA testing this weekend!) and we are estimating that he should be around 70 lbs. I work at a shelter and watched him lose 12 lbs in 2 weeks as we struggled to diagnose him with EPI. No one knew what to do with a scraggly dog that had cow patty poops. Numerous families fell in love with his personality but ultimately said no to his unknown health issues.

I’m currently attending Texas A&M University for pre-vet. I fell in love with him. So sweet despite the neglect he lived with...

His previous owner came to reclaim but did not want to pay the $70 reclaim fee. He also did not want to pay for the “powder” that “prevented him from throwing up.” We tried to get more information out of him, however he would not share what was wrong with the dog he surrendered.

But that is the past! After 4 weeks with me on enzymes, Phantom is now 55 lbs. 🥰
9773CC7A-E6DD-4F7C-BD9F-EB05A04221C6.jpeg
9773CC7A-E6DD-4F7C-BD9F-EB05A04221C6.jpeg (636.75 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:
  • 11/27: 42lbs, 12/3: 45lbs
    12/11: 48lbs, 12/17: 51lbs
    12/26: 55lbs, 1/6: 58lbs
    1/13: 61lbs

TaylorN
State: Texas
Pet name: Phantom
My name: Taylor

Re: 1 Month with Phantom

Post by TaylorN » 26 Dec 2020, 20:06

Thank you to everyone on this site for being so helpful. I would be incredibly lost without you.
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:
  • 11/27: 42lbs, 12/3: 45lbs
    12/11: 48lbs, 12/17: 51lbs
    12/26: 55lbs, 1/6: 58lbs
    1/13: 61lbs

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Dec 2020, 20:34

The photos tell the story! YEA, Taylor & Phantom! Can't wait to hear the DNA test results. Tucker is supposed to be a shepherd/lab, but the non shepherd part looks more like a ridgeback. Like you, I always wanted a shepherd. Personally, though, I think mutts have some of the best personalities, and rescues----well, they are always appreciative, because they know. Keep us posted!---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Dec 2020, 21:26

Phantom looks awesome!
Keep up the great work.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Dec 2020, 22:37

Hi Taylor.... WOW!!!! not only are you Phantom's special human angel who opened her heart and home to him.... but you are also doing an amazing job rehabilitating him... you have made GREAT strides with him in just the 4 weeks that you have had him... that is a wonderful weight gain record AND to see him finally start to enjoying life, be more active/running... that must have made your heart soar!

In the 12+ years that i have been involved with Epi4Dogs..... i have observed that there is something extra special about many of these EPI dogs... it is almost like they know they are sick but somehow, once we get them properly diagnosed and then start properly treating their EPI.....they seem to understand that we are do everything we can to make them feel better..... and then an extra special bond happens. I cannot even begin to tell you how many members over the years have said that their EPI dog became their "once-in-a-lifetime" dog.... a "beyond" special friendship like no other..... and i suspect that that is what is in store for your and Phantom.

Thanks for sharing the great news!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 27 Dec 2020, 09:12

they are very special as you fight to keep them alive

you have done wonders for Phantom, and probably yourself, it gives you a lot of confidence caring for them

Jxxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 27 Dec 2020, 10:21

Hi Taylor - WAHHHOOOOO - Congratulations to you and Phantom on the weight gain and managing EPI! He looks GREAT! I'm so glad he found his way to you - you two were meant to be together.

Please do keep giving us updates - we all tend to bond over these dogs through their stories even if we never meet in person. Oh and definitely keep us posted on your vet progress :) You'll be a great addition to the field one day.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Dec 2020, 12:27

Hmmm... Taylor...... since you are studying to be a vet.... maybe also specialize in EPI (gastrointestinal concerns) .... hint....hint...... since you have opened your heart and home to Phantom and you a bringing him back to health..... EPI is a chronic condition that needs to be managed for the life of the dog... and during that life... OMG..... you will learn SOOOoooooo much and be way ahead of the curve...... just thinking out loud here ;)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Dec 2020, 18:28

I agree! All of my dogs are rescues, but there is something extra special about my relationship with Tucker. Like my signature says, he is my boyfriend!---P
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 Dec 2020, 18:56

What a great update! Congratulations, Taylor, to you and Phantom. How you have changed his life.

Kolby did not gain weight for quite a while when he was first diagnosed. He stopped losing, but he was a very slow gainer. So you are doing an amazing job with Phantom in only one month.

He is so fortunate to be with you.

Barb