Slow Feeder with EPI Enzymes

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
TaylorN
State: Texas
Pet name: Phantom
My name: Taylor

Slow Feeder with EPI Enzymes

Post by TaylorN » 22 Dec 2020, 19:38

Hello all,

My boy Phantom eats 2 cups in the blink of an eye. I have noticed lately that he will burp and pass some gas following meals, and it is NOT pleasant. I did plan to have him use a slow feeder, and I did buy one when I adopted him. However, when the enzymes finally came into play I scratched the idea due to the need to soak the food evenly. Now I’m thinking it will help him greatly even if I have to go the extra mile when incubating the enzymes.

What I did tonight was this: I soaked the enzymes in his usual stainless steel bowl before pouring the food into the slow feeder. I gave him both bowls so he could eat the food out of the slow feeder and lick any wet residue out of the stainless steel bowl.

When he came up after his meal, he had some slop on his nose (though he licked it off). He does not leave a single drop of food uneaten.

Yadda yadda yadda, my question - is there any reason NOT to do this? Should this be okay?

Yes, I am paranoid. Thanks guys. :P
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:
  • 11/27: 42lbs, 12/3: 45lbs
    12/11: 48lbs, 12/17: 51lbs
    12/26: 55lbs, 1/6: 58lbs
    1/13: 61lbs

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Slow Feeder with EPI Enzymes

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Dec 2020, 20:23

Hi Taylor,

If i am understanding this correctly, this will not work out well long term.

The enzymes NEED to be mixed in with the food, not given separately. If given separately there is a very good possibility that he will develop mouth sores at the very least and because the enzymes are not mixed in with the food.... you will most likely be inviting SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) to get really out of control... which, from your description above... it sounds like his SID is started to rear it's ugly head. This happens often once a few weeks have passed from when you started the enzymes.... i have to clarify this with the EPI researchers (which i plan on doing after the holiday)..... but if i remember correctly....all the undigested particles / rotten fermentation that accumulated prior to the EPI diagnosis and proper treatment with the enzymes.... well ... it's kind of like once the enzymes are given, things finally start getting digested and moving and all the rotten stuff gets shaken loose and now you are noticing SID (the stinky gas) ..... SOOooooooo... the following is the order of how to address this:

1. Try a prebiotic.... we suggest try slippery elm .... less is often better.... it is given according to weight (and it is nice and cheap :)) guideline on this page: https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/... with slippery elm you will know if it is working by the poos firming up and gas subsiding within a few days.

2. if the Slippery Elm doesn't do anything at all..... then try giving a pre+probiotic. At this time, until something better comes along, we are recommending PROVIALBLE probiotic.

3. if the Pre+Probiotic doesn't help things at all within a few (2 or 3) weeks..... then tell your vet you need Phantom on a 45/twice a day course of Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate soluble powder antibiotic)... DO NOT let your vet give Phantom Metronidazole for this (SID). Metro will kill ALL the gut bacteria and that is bad as some of the bacteria will never come back no matter how many probiotics you give Phantom. Whereas Tylan is a macrolide antibiotic and it inhibit bacterial reproduction.... so you can actually give probiotics while giving TYlan without Tylan killing everything.

Hope this helps.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TaylorN

Post by TaylorN » 22 Dec 2020, 20:34

I may have worded it weird. I am mixing the food and enzymes with water in the stainless steel bowl for 20 minutes before pouring this mixture into the slow feeder. I let him eat the food out of the slow feeder as well as lick the stainless steel bowl clean. Sorry about that!

We are working on the reduced SE for a few days before trying the next steps. Thank you for the help, always!
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Dec 2020, 22:30

Oh..I mis understood... Since you are mixing the enzymes with the food and then putting it all in the slow feeder..that is perfectly fine. Are the poos good?
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TaylorN

Post by TaylorN » 22 Dec 2020, 23:31

They are better, but still mushy and not solid. We are seeing some soft cylindrical shapes rather than a pile of sludge. I will update with some photos soon to the original thread once another day or so passes.

Weight progress:

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Dec 2020, 09:53

I am thinking of buying a slow feeder for Tucker. His mouth is fine, but beneath his snout, well the bottom of it, outside on his face, he has developed some kind of irritation. It seems to itch badly, because sometimes he scratches his chin so hard he cries. I've started putting Aquafor on it, but he runs & hides under the coffee table when he sees me coming. I was thinking of soaking his food & transferring it like you do, in case it's the dipping into the enzyme mixture that is causing the problem.. Thanks for sharing this; I now have the answer to my question, from a new friend on the forum!---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Dec 2020, 14:27

Hi Pam...... might want to try making a mixture of Povidone / Betadine solution (it is an iodine solution safe for dogs that kills bacteria) mixed with warm water and wipe down the outside of his face to kill any possible bacteria he may have there ... OR..... just mix up a solution of warm water & baking soda and wipe down down that section to help clear any possible bacteria....................

Neither will hurt him if he licks it.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 27 Dec 2020, 11:10

Hey Taylor! Yes you can absolutely use a slow feeder but typically with burping, gas and bad poos the SID is flaring up. I know you have a couple of different threads on here and I'm not sure what has already been suggested as far as this goes, but be sure the B12 is being supplemented, and if you've already tried Slippery Elm and probiotics then a course of Tylan is likely needed. If you've tried all of that then the next thing to try is an antacid like omeprazole and finally it might be that the food you are using isn't quite right for Phantom.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 27 Dec 2020, 11:42

when Kara was desperate for food we used a very big bowl like a food mixing bowl, and put two tennis balls in so that she had to move them around, whilst eating, slowing her down

the other thought is feeding by hand
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx