I am allergic to the powder enzymes. Need some help please.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Andrewp
State: Oklahoma
Pet name: Chloe
My name: Andrew

I am allergic to the powder enzymes. Need some help please.

Post by Andrewp » 27 Dec 2020, 21:17

I use enzyme dianes Powder for my dog. I tried wearing a mask, got an air purifier and everything still makes me weeze and cough. My question is can i take enzyme dianes powder and put it in the gel capsules. I use about 1 tsp per cup. Has anyone made their own capsules from the powder. I just cant take using this powder makes me feel like crap everyday. If anyone has done this what size capsules did you use and did you administer teh capsules before eating. Thanks. I open to other ideas. I dont want to change from enzyme diane at all thats out fo the question nor am i going to buy raw pancreas. Just trying to see what i can do with the enzymes so i dont end up dying from it lol.

Thanks a bunch

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: I am allergic to the powder enzymes. Need some help please.

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Dec 2020, 23:30

Hi (Andrew is it?)

So sorry you are having breathing issues from the enzymes..... :(
But YES! you can pour the designated enzymes in empty gel caps. Other people have done this.
I personally used to just make a little funnel with a square of paper, and pour (i did this with the TYlan antibiotic powder) and pour the designated amount into an empty gel cap. I used size "00" gelatin capsules. When you di this with enzymes, the only thing is that you might need to give a little more enzymes in a gel cap, try 1/8 of a tsp more.

Maybe wrap the gel caps in a soft food (i used cream cheese but only use cream cheese if you dogis fine with dairy products)so that you KNOW some food is going down with the gel cap, just in case you give the enzymes gel caps before a meal and your dog decides not to eat the meal. Or you can give the dog the gel caps after she / he has had a few bites of food.

You can buy the gel caps at any health food store or jsut order from Amazon.

Hope this helps!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Andrewp

Post by Andrewp » 28 Dec 2020, 02:29

Thank you i just ordered size 00. Can i make her food and just throw in the pills. Or since its in a pill i have to do it before hand?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Dec 2020, 06:25

yes, you can make her food and thro in the pills :)

Just do keep an eye on the poos (that they are not going soft/mushy) to make sure that this is working well for your dog, or if because the enzymes are now encapsulated in the gel caps, if you need to add a little more enzymes to the food or if all is okay as is.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Dec 2020, 10:05

But if you have to fill the capsules, how is that different from scooping it into the food? Seems like even more contact, and then giving 8 capsules per cup of food is a lot. I'm sorry, I guess I'm just not understanding. I wonder if wearing nitrile gloves & protective glasses might help. Have you tried holding your breath, and adding liquid as soon as the enzymes are in the bowl, so the dust isn't floating around in the air? I do have to do that, or I become congested; I've read the enzymes are harsh on the lungs. I'm really not trying to argue, and whatever works for you is great. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Andrewp

Post by Andrewp » 28 Dec 2020, 10:11

Your right it is more contact. But I can just fill up a ton of capsules in one day. So like bang out 300 capsules and deal with the reaction for one day. Then I'll be fine for 300 doses or more.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Dec 2020, 12:34

all joking aside, we actually had a lady years ago, just like you, who was highly affected by the enzymes she had to give her dog... she started using a gas mask for herself when preparing the dogs food.....

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Dec 2020, 16:58

Andrew, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I thought I was really missing something. Good luck!
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 31 Dec 2020, 17:30

Hi Andrew! Hope the capsules work for you - allergies are the worst.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 31 Dec 2020, 18:00

Andrew, can you read Millie's thread, and see that her vet prescribes a pill called Pancreazyme? It has to be crushed, so it may not give you any relief, but I thought you might want to check it out. I guess I'm just being nosy & bored. Or something like that!---Pam