Thoughts For The Future

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Thoughts For The Future

Post by Montgomery » 21 Jan 2021, 10:24

Montgomery met someone new yesterday. His new friend (he liked her very much) has a great deal of experience with human digestive problems and raised some good questions. The first one is, could he possibly have ulcers, seeing how a great many things (such as probiotics) will give him foul, watery black diarrhea. The next thing she said was that he could be prone to osteoporosis and arthritis as he gets older. He'll be nine in March, which is barely middle-aged, but I want to keep him healthy and strong. He's a normal, active cat.
His veterinarian has never brought anything like this up, but I'm wondering what your experiences with aging animals are. Frankly, I haven't been able to get much in the way of answers from the clinic lately and I'm getting frustrated. Their answer to the extreme and very scary bout of reverse sneezing? Is he eating and drinking? Okay then. No, that was not okay.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Thoughts For The Future

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2021, 14:50

hmmm... interesting question. It depends on how dark and if the stools have kind of a tarry consistency to them that would then make me worry.... cause that could indicate stomach bleed....and yes, that could be triggered when one has ulcers.

However.... just darker stools when giving probiotics could be a particular ingredient in the probiotic that is triggering this, and if one is not drinking enough water and on the edge of dehydration, that too can trigger darker stools. Many times, certain foods (the color of the food) will also trigger a darker stool... so it really depends if this is something to consider (ulcers) or not...............

The stinky smell... to me that would suggest that something in the current probiotic you are giving is simply not agreeing with Montgomery's personal own digestive gut flora..... can you change products and when you do, try giving a lot less? See if the same thing happens? Doing something like this might also help you have a better clue to what is going on.

The problem with OTC probiotics is that they are "one-size-fits-all" and each of our animal's gut flor is very individually composed of it's own set of bacteria.... so one-size fits-all probiotic may agree with many but not always every animal. I personally could not give ANY probiotics to my EPI gal, Izzy. However, my other dog does just fine with probiotics............

Not sure if this helps, but maybe if you tried a different product that would give you a clue.

The other thing you can try is try raw green tripe instead of packaged probiotics. it might (or might not) work better......... i would recommend https://www.greencuisine4pets.com/products.htm but the company is in the USA and you are in Canada if i remember correctly.... but maybe if you contact them they can give you a Canadian source...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 21 Jan 2021, 15:47

I don't feed him probiotics because every time I've tried, he's developed this watery black diarrhea long before we ever get close to a theraputic dose. He's tried ProGut, FortiFlora, Omega Alpha, and something else from the clinic but I don't remember the name. It was an obscure thing we'd used years ago on a different cat and it worked for her, but not for him. His stools are usually formed, and about the same colour as his cat food. They don't smell as bad since we switched to Enzyme Diane.
I'm concerned that I should be doing something for joint support as he ages, which is why I brought up the Triacta, which I use with two of my senior cats with great success. I'm wondering if he's going to be a good candidate for bone and joint problems as he ages because of all his digestive difficulties, and if I can at least prevent some of it from happening.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2021, 19:19

Montgomery sounds like my Izzy..... she couldn't do ANY brand of probiotics.... so we just didn't. WHen she had a flare-up (which thankfully was not very often) we gave her Tylan.

Ahhh.... hip and joint... i think it just depends on the individual EPI pet. And i am basing this opinion solely on my personal experience.... so this is just an opinion not fact. My Izzy was diagnosed with EPI at 1+ yrs old ... she lived until she was 15 years old and even though her bones and teeth were smaller then the norm for her breed.... she was still jumping up by herself on the couch 1 wee until she passed away,.... and the night before she still did the turkey (or frog) position when she laid down.... she obviously had no debilitating joint/hip concerns.

My remaining dog (same breed) who does not have EPI, is having a LOT of trouble with her hips and joints.... so my take away is that it al depends on the individual pet... i suspect EPI does not influence, or not to any big degree, joint/hip issues.........................................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 21 Jan 2021, 20:40

Thanks, that was really helpful. I'd be lost without this forum. You've helped me so much with this little guy!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 22 Jan 2021, 03:44

Hi

My Kara couldnt do pre orprobiotics either

as for joint support have youthought of

Extract of green lipped mussel, its as it says extract of mussels from the sea, and is from New Zealand, helped all three of my Sheps and an elderly cat who lived to 20, cat would eat them ! very fishy smell

Glad he has a new friend
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 22 Jan 2021, 21:09

I do Triacta HA and green-lipped mussels with my eldest cat, and have seen a huge improvement in her mobility. Its funny, because the mussels I got from the veterinarian smell like tomatoes, the ones I got from Big Country Raw smell extremely fishy.
He makes friends like crazy. Can't take him anywhere. I'm not the most social person, so it can be a challenge sometimes.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 23 Jan 2021, 10:12

Montgomery is so lucky to have you! My EPI boy so far has not been able to tolerate any probiotics - poop always goes to diarrhea not black or smelly but just runny and soft.

Thanks Olesia for the information as always :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.