Tylan

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Mandalong22
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Nati
My name: Amanda

Tylan

Post by Mandalong22 » 30 Jan 2021, 06:40

So Nati has been on enzymes since May. She gained about 5 lbs right away but now we continue to fluctuate. She did the B12 shots and now her B12 is good but still had bad folate. My vet put her back on royal canine gastrointestinal because the lab suggested it. She still hasn’t gained weight and that was in November. She is on Fortiflora and is on 8x pacreatin from enzyme Diane. I also use slippery elm if I hear her gertrong a lot of gas or catch her eating something she shouldn’t. Her poops are solid but she still is eating inanimate objects and her stool. I go to the vet today and I am going to ask for Tylan. Do you think that’s the right course?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Tylan

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Jan 2021, 11:01

Although her poos are fine, and since you already have her on probiotics and do give her SLippery Elm as needed.... i think a course of Tylan won't hurt.... to see if SID (even without loose stools) is out of control in her gut flora and it is possible that the Tylan could be just the extra help that she needs to get back on track. Sid can definitely interfere with weight gain... so worth trying a course.

The fact tough that she is eating inappropriate objects.... hmmmmmmmmmmm.... have you considered putting a friendly muzzle on her ? SOmething like this ( you can purchase these online, cheap, from Amazon.com).. Although eating inappropriate things start with necessity.... sometimes it can become a bad habit.... although usually it subsides once the dog gets enough nutrition.... but as you suspected.... this "could" be happening because of SID.

When you say B12 is good.... is it upper mid-range or higher?....and if yes .are you continuing to give a maintenance dose of B12 to keep the good level up?

And the last thing that comes to mind is her Diet. Is she getting approx 150% of what a dog her size would normally require and served in smaller portions but more meals throughout the day?
Attachments
muzzle.jpg
muzzle.jpg (17.31 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Jan 2021, 09:27

there are many soft muzzles on the market, my friend had to resort to one when her dog ate stones, and ended up in hospital with major surgery, what is she eating that not acceptable
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 31 Jan 2021, 11:38

Hi. Low B12 can affect weight. When was the last time she had B12 supplementing? EPI dogs typically require B12 supplementing for life. You can try the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills which most of us use (use code EPI4DOGS15 at checkout for 15% off).
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 01 Feb 2021, 23:51

Ramona Riddley ate a shoe once, which became lodged in the hairball she was forming and landed her in the clinic. Luckily the whole mess came up and we avoided surgery. She was one miserable moggy. If she goes for a particular material, stash it, or tabasco it. I wouldn't want to relive that fiasco and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 02 Feb 2021, 18:32

Kolby did not start gaining weight until we got his B12 up .I agree with Madelon and Olesia that Wonderlabs Pet Factor is an excellent product and very reasonable. If the B12 is the issue, it would be an easy fix.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Feb 2021, 23:04

Hi Amanda,

So did Nati see the vet? If so..... did everyone agree to try Tylan at this point... and any feedback on the B12? What the levels were, are you still giving B12 ... or a maintenance dose of B12???
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Feb 2021, 21:02

I'm also wondering if a food change might be needed. I know the lab suggested it but that there's no need to restrict the fat which is what that food does. In fact restricting the fat can inhibit the weight gain. Have you looked at our food list? Unless there is another medical reason there is no need to feed prescription food - we recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less and feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be but with smaller meals throughout the day.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.