Benefits of green tripe

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Johnnycake
State: Texas
Pet name: Johnny
My name: MacKenzie

Benefits of green tripe

Post by Johnnycake » 27 Jan 2021, 10:01

Hey guys! I tried doing a search here and on the main website and just found brief mentions and not anything super detailed but I might be missing something obvious... if so I apologize!

I've been doing some reading and it sounds like green tripe might have some benefits for EPI dogs? I know I've seen mentions of it being fed in EPI diets multiple times, and some people apparently have success feeding freeze dried green tripe as a treat without experiencing any bad poop or digestion issues - I've read it contains some amount of digestive enzymes? I also read that it can be a good source of B12 and probiotics.

Does this sound about right to you guys? I've been feeding Johnny Solid Gold's canned green tripe food pretty regularly (he LOVES it) and was considering buying some freeze dried green tripe to try and use as training treats (I also have some frozen pancreas to try dehydrating but I don't trust myself to get it right on the first try, haha).

I was just curious if I was actually providing him with any of these benefits, and what everyone else's experiences with green tripe might be!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Benefits of green tripe

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Jan 2021, 13:11

Hi MacKenzie, I don't have any input on this other than it sounds very interesting!
Will be looking forward to hearing answers.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 29 Jan 2021, 13:47

ALL of.my dogs loved green tripe. it it made me sick

as far as feeding inbetween meals.Kara would eat between meals without enzymes. but I would never recommend it. and it was only treats and may be pieces of meat. never a full meal
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Jan 2021, 18:05

Hi Mackensie,

Ahhh Green Tripe.... i can give you some information about this, hopefully it will help.

Green tripe is loaded with a wonderful bacteria called Lactobacilllus. Lactobaccillus is a "good" common bacterial strain that "most" dogs do well with, that is why it is in many probiotics... BUT..................... here in lies the rub. There are many MANY different strains of Lactobacillea bacteria. we don't even know of all the strains... (we are talking hundreds or more)

EPI dogs sadly are lacking in gut flora (bacteria) numbers.... they don't have enough bacteria nor do they have enough variety. When they studied the stools of the EPI dog.... there was an over abundance of Lactobaccillus bacteria excrement. WAY too much of the Lactobaccilus bacteria.... https://epi4dogs.com/microbiomemicrobiota-research/
Lactobacillis.jpg
Lactobacillis.jpg (209.36 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
However.... they are starting to discover that certain strains of Lactobacillus are actually very helpful with EPI dogs and helps with SID.....but then there are other Lactobaccilus strains that are really not needed because they already have too much of it. Currently they are working on this.

SOOOoooooooo.... in short.... some dogs might really benefit from certain added bacteria, others may not. If you want to give your dog green tripe, i would recommend the real stuff, raw green tripe. And i personally would suggest trying:
http://www.greencuisine4pets.com/.... but start with a small amount at first and see how well your dog tolerates it. THere are some phenomenal results with real raw green tripe... again, it depends on the individual dog... but well worth trying.

I personally am anxiously awaiting what they find with more research so that they can better advise us as to specifically which bacterial strains can benefit dogs with SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) which is what all EPI dogs have... rather than the way they prescribe probiotics currently,....in other words, 'one-size-fits-all" .. cause sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.....

SO.... in summation, if your dog likes the tripe, and if you want the best benefit from it if it is going to benefit your dog, and if you can handle the stench... try raw green tripe. Just do not feed it as a meal.... but rather as a supplement :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 31 Jan 2021, 11:47

I've considered trying green tripe for my boy but he's so darn sensitive to everything I'm too afraid to try it LOL. Let us know if you do and how it goes.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Jan 2021, 17:34

i can attest to the fact that it really does STINK!!!! i used to wear gloves when handling it and my hands still stunk afterwards.... but it is very beneficial... There are tons of info on the benefits of Green tripe ... the following is taken from Green Cusine 4 pets.... they did an actual analysis:
http://www.greencuisine4pets.com/whygoraw.htm

Why should my dog eat it?
So…why Green Tripe? The answer is simple: because it is the best, most natural food you could feed your dog. Top breeders/kennels of performance dogs have known this for years. The following excerpt from Juliette de Bairacli Levy's book, The Complete Herbal Book for the Dog, says it best:

"I would suggest breeders make good use of such flesh foods as the following: ...paunches of all animals (the raw, uncleaned paunches of healthy grass-fed animals can be fed with much benefit to all breeds of dogs). I learned this from a gypsy in the Forest of Dean: this man had bred many famous greyhounds, and he told me that such fare was the finest of natural food tonics."

How can something so disgusting be so good? These same gastric juices and enzymes not only aid the animal in digestion, but they also aid the dog in digesting and efficiently utilizing his food. The amino acids are necessary for muscular development, and the other gastric juices, I believe, are the best cleaner for their teeth!

An analysis of a sample of green tripe by a Woodson-Tenant Lab in Atlanta, Georgia found the following:

The calcium to phosphorous ratio in green tripe is 1:1.
The overall pH of green tripe is on the acidic side, which is better for digestion.
The percentage of protein is 15.1.
The percentage of fat is 11.7.
Green tripe contains the essential fatty acids, Linoleic and Linolenic, in their recommended proportions.
Green tripe contains Lactic Acid Bacteria, also known as Lactobacillus Acidophilus, which is the “good” intestinal bacteria. It is the main ingredient in probiotics.
Finally, because of its rubbery texture, serving green tripe in large chunks also aids the dog in strengthening its jaw muscles and serves as a form of canine dental floss.

Why “Green”?
The white tripe you find in the grocery store has been cleaned, scalded and bleached. It has almost no nutritional value for the canine. This tripe is usually found in dishes such as menudo. Green tripe does not necessarily refer to its color; in this instance, it refers to the fact that it has not been touched—not cleaned, not bleached, and not scalded. Its actual color is brown; however, sometimes there will be a greenish tint due to the grass or hay the animal ate just before slaughtering.

Nothing beats the "green" tripe from a freshly slaughtered animal, but since that’s not always an options, GreenTripe.com and its authorized distributors offer green tripe products that have been ground, frozen, and packaged. GreenTripe.com’s products come from grass-fed and organic animals that are USDA inspected and passed for human consumption. They are antibiotic free, and no hormones have been added.
Want to learn more about the origins of Green Tripe? Read No Guts, No Glory, by Mary C. Voss, owner of GreenTripe.com.

References:
The Complete Herbal Book for the Dog, Juliette de Bairacli Levy
Give Your Dog A Bone, Dr. Ian Billinghurst
The Hollistic Guide For A Healthy Dog, Wendy Volhard & Kerry Brown, DVM
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........