Sudden increase in grass eating

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
CarolinaT
State: California
Pet name: Nilla
My name: Carolina

Sudden increase in grass eating

Post by CarolinaT » 03 Apr 2021, 18:32

My 12.5 year old pup with EPI has suddenly started eating grass on every walk. I am not sure if I should increase her B12 or enzymes. She has grass in her stool. I'm thinking she wants to make herself throw up. Do any EPI dog owners get regular edemas for their pups? She was so backed up before I started treating her for EPI last year. I guess I am worried that she may be backed up again or have some other digestive issue. Thanks in advance for any guidance on whether there is a connection between grass eating and EPI treatment.

Carolyn

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Sudden increase in grass eating

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Apr 2021, 20:50

Hi Carolyn,
How often is she pooping?. I had a JRT who ate grass like a cow and not when he was sick. Are you noticing sloppy stools, gas rumblings?
Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

CarolinaT

Post by CarolinaT » 09 Apr 2021, 00:10

Thanks, Jill. Her stools do not look as firm as they used to be. I believe this has coincided with her grass eating. I am thinking about increasing her B12 and maybe then her enzymes if the B12 increase doesn't help. I've read on this forum that dogs can sometimes dip back into major EPI systems after everything has been going fine. I don't hear much grumbling. I don't currently give her Tylan.

She is on one heaping teaspoon of 8x Pantenex per cup of Royal Canin GI moderate calorie kibble and Wonderlabs B12.

Carolyn

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 09 Apr 2021, 07:22

Do you mean enema, not edema? In which case, I’ve never read of an epi dog needing one, usually quite the opposite! Mine only eat grass to throw up. There must be discomfort, so maybe a vet can tell you whether you need an antacid or antibiotic? If you’ve never had a problem with the enzyme dose, I wouldn’t tweak it or the B12. Maybe slippery elm could help, but that is just a guess, which won’t help the vets diagnosis.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Apr 2021, 09:03

Hi Carolyn, a couple things to mention for you to try if things don't come back.

The RC GI contains grains which most Epi animals can't have. You could switch to a grain free kibble with 4% fiber or less. Please make sure peas, lentils, pea flour and legumes are not there or if they are at the lowest amount. Most grains seem to interfere with the effiicacy of the enzymes.

The 8x enzymes are stronger and starting point for those is 3/4 teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup kibble. So I might say DECREASE enzymes by a tad and see if that helps.

If you choose to increase the B12 and it works please keep the other 2 suggestions in mind.

Patsy has some great points.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

CarolinaT

Post by CarolinaT » 10 Apr 2021, 01:29

Thank you for these tips. I will talk with the vet and explore alternative food options.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Apr 2021, 22:48

another tidbit......

in the springtime.... sometimes some dogs just naturally eat a lot of new fresh grass.... just because.... and not because there is a problem
But of course, most of the time, when they eat grass, they do do it cause (we think) their tummy hurts and they are trying to feel better ................

just wanted to throw this out there in case it is jsut new fresh springtime grass.... and if you are not seeing any other indication that it could be tummy not feeling good issue.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 19 Apr 2021, 14:07

My non-EPI dog constantly eats grass - I guess it's got something her body needs but she has perfect poop. Every now and then I'll catch my EPI boy eating grass for no apparent reason.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 19 Apr 2021, 14:47

Our Kolby wanted to eat the DIRT under the grass. We only have grass in the front of our house, stone in the back.....but he would always go looking for the patch of grass that sprung up between the stones and then shake the dirt off so he could eat it. If we went to the front of the house to get the paper or the mail (which he loved to carry), he would grab the biggest patch of grass and start eating the dirt under it. I know there was either something missing for him in his diet or his tummy was uncomfortable. We never found out what it was. If only they could talk.

Barb