Phoebe, Chronic Pancreatitis and Voracious/Starving

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Cranberry21
Pet name: Phoebe
My name: Debra

Re: Phoebe, Chronic Pancreatitis and Voracious/Starving

Post by Cranberry21 » 04 Jun 2021, 01:59

Barb wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 09:07 You might want to check this out with your vet, but after Kolby had a horrific experience with bloat, we put him on a daily dose of Gas-X (yes, the one for humans) after his evening meal. Actually, our vet said we could give it to him after each meal, but for him the evening meal was sufficient. It worked like a charm. You can buy it in any drug store over the counter. It is Gas-X Extra Strength Simethicone 125 mg soft gels. 1 pill per dose.

Barb
I will check. I tried one dose of GasX a few weeks ago and it seemed to consolidate the gas. Phoebe had 3 explosions of diarrhea through the night.

You probably aren’t dealing with such loose stools but on the off chance, does it cause anything like this?

I appreciate the tip!

Cranberry21

Post by Cranberry21 » 04 Jun 2021, 02:09

jilbert57 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 16:47 You might have said but has she had a food allergy test done? I don't get it, why she can't with out it causing this issue. I will think more on it.

Jill
I suspended TotalZymes as of today. Clearly they work for lots of dogs but there must be something in them Phoebe can’t tolerate. Last night was horrible. Vomiting, diarrhea, regurgitation, painful agonizing gas…we were up all night. There’s nothing else new in her routine or diet so I’m quite sure it was the enzymes (some regurgitation due to how I gave activated charcoal).

The constant gas production in her abdomen is a frustrating problem that is interfering and seems it should be solvable. But the real problem is absorbing nutrients from food and the continued weight loss.

It’s a vicious cycle and I’m not sure we have the time with her to solve it. It makes me sad to type that. But we’ll keep trying!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Jun 2021, 09:17

Yes, I note you came to us March 13 and we really haven't helped alleviate issues. I know Phoebe is in pain.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Cranberry21

Post by Cranberry21 » 04 Jun 2021, 19:02

In retrospect I should have simultaneously had Phoebe tested for food sensitivities and have done the food trials I did. That was a mistake on my part & I’ll have to live with that regret.

I feel terrible about not being able to find a comprehensive solution for her. A few things have improved her health but her age & my disability, my inability it seems to try enough things quickly enough have gotten in the way.

I don’t mean to use anyone’s time here frivolously. I respect all the suggestions every person has offered, as well as the kindness of support. My thanks to you Jill and all others who have tried to help. I know this help often comes from painful experience.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Jun 2021, 19:09

We don't look at it as wasting our time. If you have questions between all of us we can usually figure things out. I am sure you are frustrated!

Does she have a normal thyroid function?

I forget, have you tried her on an antihistamine?

I wonder what they do for people with reactive guts like Phoebes. I am going to look that direction.
Give Phoebe a pat and hug.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Cranberry21

Post by Cranberry21 » 04 Jun 2021, 19:58

Thanks Jill.

Phoebe was diagnosed in Jan. 2021 with hypothyroidism. She takes Thyroxine (though I notice her tail hair is falling out again).

I have not tried an antihistamine with her. Would you suggest children’s Benadryl (no xylitol)? Would I give the same dose as if she was stung by a bee, for example? What is the benefit? Does an antihistamine help with nutrient absorption?

BTW, not sure who suggested it but today I made her scrambled egg whites (one yolk) and mixed them into her rice. I’ll see how she does with them.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Jun 2021, 21:44

I was thinking maybe an antihistamine would help the violent reactions she has to things. Maybe barking up the wrong tree. You would need to google dose and maybe run it by your vet. It was just a thought.

I used to mix rice and egg white and a tad rice flour and drop into dollar size pancakes onto non stick griddle, cook on both sides. Then cut bites to cool and drizzle a tad sirup on it. Man Mick loved the sweets.

Jill

Cranberry21

Post by Cranberry21 » 04 Jun 2021, 23:23

Maybe the antihistamine would work?!

I love the pancake idea. I can picture it. I may have to try that!

alex
Pet name: douzi
My name: alex

Post by alex » 14 Jun 2021, 12:04

Hello! Cranberry
I read all your posts. Phoebe seems to have diarrhea when eating any food, which I think is more like a gastrointestinal problem than a pancreatic problem.
After eating a light diet, she made the behavior of hunched back and stomachache. The reaction is so fast that it should be the food that has just been eaten that caused the pain in the body, and the speed is so fast that it is likely to be a stomach problem.
Diarrhea is too serious. My previous experience is that after diarrhea occurred, I banned water and fasting, and at the same time, I received an infusion to replenish electrolytes. Oral montmorillonite powder (strong antidiarrhoea, do not use too much). After the diarrhea stops, make the chicken breast into minced meat, mix the soft rice soup, and drink a small amount of it many times.
Phoebe used so many proteins do not respond well, I think it may not be meat allergy, is that the intestines and stomach can not digest and absorb them. So we should first let the intestines and stomach return to normal function, and then slowly and repeatedly give him food. During this period, as long as she has diarrhea, she needs to replenish her electrolytes because she is very weak. Infusion is the fastest, can replenish energy, there are also oral types.
One more thing, I noticed that Phoebe is interested in raw beef. I know it's risky, but have you ever thought about RAW diet? Raw food is the easiest for dogs to digest, which is in line with their digestive system. But considering Phoebe's age and her current state, this is a very risky behavior, I just came up with an idea. If you really decide to try it in the end, please use very small pieces of raw chicken as a first try.

alex
Pet name: douzi
My name: alex

Post by alex » 14 Jun 2021, 13:37

Hello! Cranberry
I read all your posts. Phoebe seems to have diarrhea when eating any food, which I think is more like a gastrointestinal problem than a pancreatic problem.
After eating a light diet, she made the behavior of hunched back and stomachache. The reaction is so fast that it should be the food that has just been eaten that caused the pain in the body, and the speed is so fast that it is likely to be a stomach problem.
Diarrhea is too serious. My previous experience is that after diarrhea occurred, I banned water and fasting, and at the same time, I received an infusion to replenish electrolytes. Oral montmorillonite powder (strong antidiarrhoea, do not use too much). After the diarrhea stops, make the chicken breast into minced meat, mix the soft rice soup, and drink a small amount of it many times.
Phoebe used so many proteins do not respond well, I think it may not be meat allergy, is that the intestines and stomach can not digest and absorb them. So we should first let the intestines and stomach return to normal function, and then slowly and repeatedly give him food. During this period, as long as she has diarrhea, she needs to replenish her electrolytes because she is very weak. Infusion is the fastest, can replenish energy, there are also oral types.
One more thing, I noticed that Phoebe is interested in raw beef. I know it's risky, but have you ever thought about RAW diet? Raw food is the easiest for dogs to digest, which is in line with their digestive system. But considering Phoebe's age and her current state, this is a very risky behavior, I just came up with an idea. If you really decide to try it in the end, please use very small pieces of raw chicken as a first try