Phoebe, Chronic Pancreatitis and Voracious/Starving

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
alex
Pet name: douzi
My name: alex

Re: Phoebe, Chronic Pancreatitis and Voracious/Starving

Post by alex » 15 Jun 2021, 00:50

I don't know why, I can't leave a message

alex

Post by alex » 15 Jun 2021, 00:51

Cranberry21 wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 19:58 Thanks Jill.

Phoebe was diagnosed in Jan. 2021 with hypothyroidism. She takes Thyroxine (though I notice her tail hair is falling out again).

I have not tried an antihistamine with her. Would you suggest children’s Benadryl (no xylitol)? Would I give the same dose as if she was stung by a bee, for example? What is the benefit? Does an antihistamine help with nutrient absorption?

BTW, not sure who suggested it but today I made her scrambled egg whites (one yolk) and mixed them into her rice. I’ll see how she does with them.

I don't know why, I can't leave a message

Mister Admin
Staff
Pet name: Archie & Zilli
My name: Craig

Post by Mister Admin » 15 Jun 2021, 17:17

Hi All, there was a (hopefully temporary) issue with Alex's posts going into an unpublished queue which should be ok now.

Hi Alex, nice profile pic BTW 8-)

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Jun 2021, 19:21

thank you so much Craig for fixing this problem!
As i have said before......You ROCK!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Jun 2021, 20:40

Hi Alex,

I do not think that Benedryl would help with nutrient absorption....
Can you get slippery elm powder... it is a powder that is made from the American Elm tree and is a mucilage and prebiotic and soothes the intestinal walls but it must be given with enough liquid because it is a thickener... this might be something that can help.....
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

I know SLippery Elm is safe for dogs with EPI, IBD, Pancreatitis..... it is jsut with SLippery ELm very often less is better. Too much can cause gastro issues......... but a little bit can really help!

If you cannot get any slippery elm powder for dogs........ i know you have guar gum.... it will do the same thing as Slippery Elm powder.... BUT i have no idea how much or how little to give ... and this too need to be given with plenty of water since it is a thickener..... also if you give too much (like SLippery Elm) , it can actually cause loose stools and stomach cramping/bloating.... but when give just a tiny amount it can really help make everything feel better. Maybe ask your vet about guar gum powder????
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Jun 2021, 20:48

Alex,

check out this link.... this is the product we use for SLippery Elm... it looks like they ship to Hong Kong...
https://www.desertcart.hk/products/1017 ... r-your-pet

If the above doesn't work... then i did find a product in your country with SLippery Elm and Marshmallow herbs... all good for the dog's digestion issues.... but this product is in capsules.... so you most likely would have to open the capsule and only use alittle bit of the powder because Douzi is such a small dog'...
https://www.pethaven.com.hk/index.php?r ... ct_id=5305

alex

Post by alex » 16 Jun 2021, 03:21

The previous message failed, and then there are so many duplicate messages. I'm very sorry!
And I don't know how to delete them....
I'm really sorry!

alex

Post by alex » 16 Jun 2021, 03:27

Mister Admin wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 17:17 Hi All, there was a (hopefully temporary) issue with Alex's posts going into an unpublished queue which should be ok now.

Hi Alex, nice profile pic BTW 8-)
HI! Mister Admin !
thank you!
I can finally reply to the message! The problem is solved! thank you!
I'm sorry to be disturbed by so many repeated words

alex

Post by alex » 16 Jun 2021, 03:35

Olesia711 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 20:40 Hi Alex,

I do not think that Benedryl would help with nutrient absorption....
Can you get slippery elm powder... it is a powder that is made from the American Elm tree and is a mucilage and prebiotic and soothes the intestinal walls but it must be given with enough liquid because it is a thickener... this might be something that can help.....
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

I know SLippery Elm is safe for dogs with EPI, IBD, Pancreatitis..... it is jsut with SLippery ELm very often less is better. Too much can cause gastro issues......... but a little bit can really help!

If you cannot get any slippery elm powder for dogs........ i know you have guar gum.... it will do the same thing as Slippery Elm powder.... BUT i have no idea how much or how little to give ... and this too need to be given with plenty of water since it is a thickener..... also if you give too much (like SLippery Elm) , it can actually cause loose stools and stomach cramping/bloating.... but when give just a tiny amount it can really help make everything feel better. Maybe ask your vet about guar gum powder????

HI Olesia!
Thank you very much for your advice. But I haven't used benedryl. I guess you want to answer the information of Cranberry. I looked at it again, and I guess it was talk to her.
And I usually use slipper elm (now foods), it is really a good thing.
Thank you very much for your advice!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jun 2021, 23:36

oh... okay... thanks for clearing that up for me Alex.... i thought i was responding to you ..... but bottom line is that that is good that you are already using Slippery Elm. Thanks for letting me know!

Please, don't feel you need to apologize with the duplicates though.... that was just a glitch... but thanks to our fabulous WebMaster, Craig!.... it is all resolved now.