Daisy reporting in :D

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
faye grimm
State: Oregon
Pet name: Daisy
My name: faye

Daisy reporting in :D

Post by faye grimm » 24 Jun 2021, 11:18

Hello all ... I was first here in Dec of 2019 so this is a hello and a heads up that thanks to your helpful information, advice, suggestions and support, my Daisy girl is doing great!

I chose to use the Pantenex enzymes and am extremely satisfied. I usually add a touch of slippery elm [as advised by a holistic vet] to each meal as well. She has responded to her treatment well. I have found I do not need to do the 15 minute wait, she has never experienced an irritation in her mouth from the enzymes. She seems to do well with a 1/2 teaspoon per meal. which consists of raw 4meat mix (elk, buffalo, beef and venison) with Sport Dog kibble. I love this product and she seems to love it too. https://www.sportdogfood.com/

So Daisy is 8 years old now and going strong. She is healthy, happy, active and maintaining her weight and has had fairly consistent well formed stools.

I still tell people, total strangers (usually at the dog park) even though they may have a totally healthy dog about EPI and this site because, as per my own experience, where it hit out of the blue, most veterinarians seemed entirely blind to this diagnosis and it was not until I found EPI4dogs that I even heard of epi effecting dogs and so learned enough to demand she be tested for EPI which, of course, was the issue.
So I try to spread the awareness.

Anyhow, I just wanted to pop in and say thank you once more because the lovely people on this site helped save my dog's life and I will always be eternally grateful.

Blessings to all ... faye
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."
So I gave the man his $50 and we have been joined at the hip every since ...

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Daisy reporting in :D

Post by Jean » 24 Jun 2021, 13:18

Good evening Faye from Liverpool UK

Thank you soooo much for your kind words, and your link to food

the big thing is education , and where better than the dog park, EPI is a weird and wonderful condition, years ago it was called GSD tummy and loads wre PTS as noone knew

I had a cat Cleo in the mid 80's and she was fading away , the vet we had said she had Coccidiosis, she was a mess, his Son who had just graduated from Liverpool Vet Uni said he knew what she had and gave her Tryplase enzymes, she lived another 10 years, at that time EPI was tested by xray film I know, weird , I would have lost her only for Martin
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 24 Jun 2021, 13:26

Faye, there is another member with a recent post, who could probably use your help if you're up for it!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1176

It's uncanny that you just posted! Nice to hear from you. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 24 Jun 2021, 13:44

I know Pam it is brilliant, we will connect them if we can

Jxxx

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Jun 2021, 14:43

Hello, Faye. What a great update! It is always so uplifting to read about dogs doing well once everything is in balance. Thank you for letting us know how well Daisy is doing. It also helps the new members to hear that managing EPI really does become part of a routine and that our dogs can thrive even though they have EPI. At the beginning, you don't think it's possible, but suddenly it becomes easy.

Thank you so much for writing. I am so glad Daisy is doing so well.

Barb

faye grimm

Post by faye grimm » 29 Apr 2022, 12:46

Hello all ... hoping you are doing well. I am needing some advice again.

Daisy's EPI has been under control yet I discovered a loose bloody looking stool (not like EPI poop) about 2 months ago. I bagged it and took it to my vet. Turns out she has colitis which I believe is the chronic variety.

I do not want to put her on meds from the vet, I realize these could possibly control or ease her symptoms but, as I was told they would refill this for me any time I called, it is clear they will not cure her.

Daisy does have allergies and I had to stop giving her all - even organic - chicken. So boiled chicken and rice (apparently a favorite for doggie diarrhea) is not an option and I know feeding her even just some rice long term is not a cure nor is it good for her.

I would like to get some advice if anyone has any to share. I read that homeopathic treatment has been very successful in treating dogs with colitis but I am hesitant to go to the holistic vet who looked at Daisy when she was first losing weight and even after I told him I was feeding her 7 times a day he just said he thought she looked great (she had gotten lost enough at that time to have regained her former youthful figure so she looked good). So I lost trust in him and will not go back.

After the holistic vet let down, I took Daisy to 2 other vets who tested her for everything except EPI so I started researching and found EPI4dogs and you all saved her life because I then knew this was what was going on and demanded she be tested for EPI and BINGO.

Since there are so may experienced sensible and intelligent people here (yes, I mean YOU folks) I am hoping someone will have some advice/suggestions as I am looking for dietary alterations and natural, hopefully homeopathic treatments for canine colitis in a dog with allergies and EPI.

I will research any suggestions so that what I choose is on me, not you but I spent hours online yesterday and nothing addressed canine colitis in a dog with EPI which should be taken into account.

I had found a retired holistic vet who had been doing acupuncture on Daisy when I first found out what was wrong but when a casual conversation revealed that our politics were very different she cut us off and refused to see Daisy any longer! WOW!!!
So, since I have not found another holistic vet in my area I could use some advice.

Thank you for 'listeing.'
faye
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2013 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 29 Apr 2022, 13:10

Hello Faye

I am from Liverpool UK

My Kara had allsorts of issues, chicken and poultry fay was a big NO NO, as was rice

so we resorted to scrambled egg and mashed potato, and added other things in slowly, maybe rabbit duck, but no chicken, and no rice

I found this on the web

https://www.hepper.com/best-dog-food-for-colitis/

What in Gods name does politics have to do with a dog,

My Kara had all kinds, but not coiltis . and the scrambled egg diet is fine for days my vet prescribed it all of the time when she was ill she loved it, and insisted on it just before bedtime all of her life

others might have ideas

Jxxx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Apr 2022, 14:27

Hi Faye! We have a couple businesses in Philomath, Or.
Have you tried Slippery Elm with consistency? I would think lining the GI tract with something soothing would help.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

faye grimm

Post by faye grimm » 29 Apr 2022, 22:12

Hmmmm .. yes slippery elm. We use that sometimes but I should be more consistent. Thank you Jill... :D

Jean .. I have been wondering if her presumed chicken allergy negates her eating scrambled eggs. I was giving her some the thought twice about it. I still like the sport dog food I give her. We use the herding dog formula.
https://sport-dog-food.webflow.io/products/herding-dog

Since I could not connect with a holistic vet here I called my pharmacist who is educated i homeopathy and carries the remedies in his shop. He suggested I try licopodium to relieve the colitis symptoms. So I got a tube and will see how she does over the weekend.
He assured me that there is no reason human homeopathic pills cannot be used on animals. He uses them on his cats.
Ad I know if I got some from a holistic vet they might be some special designer brand "for dogs" and way more expensive.

I also picked up a can of pumpkin today and will try some of that with each meal.
I am not sure if I should give her much meat or to layoff for a few days.
Or may not raw?
I really would like to scramble her eggs but am worried about her chicken allergy.. at least that is the oe thing I have stopped feeding her to see how she does..

I was wondering about savory oatmeal.. I have found mixed advice and opinions online about feeding oatmea to a dog.

Hey thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. 8-)

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Apr 2022, 22:54

Hi again, Faye. I am so sorry to hear that Daisy is doing poorly. That is rough.

So, oats are a grain, I guess they may not be a good choice.

And, this is random information, BUT when my nursing grandbaby had sensitivity to what my daughter was eating, she had to eliminate eggs, but chicken was OK. The reverse of your question, I guess. Why not try her on a bowl of Jean's famous scrambled egg & mashed potato, to see how she does? I bet she'll love it.

My little Ruthie has IBD or IBS or something, the vet wasn't sure, but she takes pepto bismol, with the occasional pinch of Tylan, and is under good control. I feed her Fresh Pet, and she is thriving.

I tend to be happier in the realm of natural healing, too, but sometimes I just have to do the chemicals to keep them from being miserable.

Hugs to you, and again I am so sorry. -- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.