Tucker's Results Are In!!!!!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
storm
Pet name: Storm
My name: Debbie

Re: Tucker's Results Are In!!!!!!!

Post by storm » 10 May 2021, 15:16

I am glad you mentioned that Pam I have been giving Storm 2 B12 a day for 2 weeks today and yesterday and this morning his poos are horrid running. and they were good before B12 but I know his is low so not sure what to do.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 10 May 2021, 18:53

Debbie--- Tucker's B12 was 666 after no pills for ten days, so that's why I decided not to give him very much of it. If Storm is low, then you definitely need to supplement. The runny poops after two weeks of B12 pills, I wouldn't think there was a connection. Are you treating for SID? Seems it's always there, hopefully under control, but still SID can flare up periodically, who knows why, when you're doing everything right? Can you remind us, are you using slippery elm or Tylan for SID? Thanks!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Jun 2021, 16:16

PLeasE! Can a staff member remind me of the exact formula for weaning off Tylan? And at day 45, should I do it even if Tuck is still passing gas a few times a week? Thanks so much---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Jun 2021, 16:31

So reviewing your old posts I see you had Tucker down to 1/32 t twice daily. What happened. Did you work your dose back to 1/4 t twice a day?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Jun 2021, 18:18

Hi Jill. Sorry you had to read through all of that. Tucker's SID flares up 2 times a year, I'd say. Farting, farting, poo a little wetter. I do the 45 day round of Tylan, when that happens, and it usually works. He also takes 1/4 teaspoon slippery elm, daily. I just can't remember exactly how it was explained to do the weaning. Yes, he had been on that smidgen amount for quite awhile, when the gas started several weeks ago.

And, I did have that question about occasional gas still present. Like I said, though, we are on day 44 of 1/4 teaspoon 2X day, tomorrow is day 45. The gas, before the Tylan seems to kick in, is every half hour, and it definitely clears the room. Currently, it happens just every few days. Thank you so much. ---Pam

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Jun 2021, 22:02

I ended up leaving Mickey on a low dose till he passed as he would get slimy poop.
When I search I don't see specific steps on weaning. I would probably keep one dose a day the same and reduce the 2nd by half or 1/4 for a few days. And work my way down.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Jun 2021, 13:37

Will do. Thanks, Jill!---P

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Jun 2021, 16:42

Itchy Dogs---Has anybody tried THE ONE, or Salmon Bites? Any OTC or home remedies for seasonal allergies? I give them Benadryl, but I can't help wondering if there is something better to try. Too many different plants in our yard, to try & figure out what to pull up. Thanks for the help---Pam

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 19 Jun 2021, 06:46

ALL of my dogs have had allergies mainly to grass seeds

we gave Piriton one each day and washed their paws and under their belly when they had been outside

the vets might have an idea which is not OTC, One of mine had to have steroids as it got so bad
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Jul 2021, 14:08

Shedding?

Today I took Tucker to the groomer for a shedding treatment, which involves a special shampoo followed by intense brushing.
My friend has this done to her hound, and she swears by it.

The groomer apologized because after thirty minutes, Tuck was still shedding, and that is not normal. He got all the shepherd "cotton balls" & lots of fur, but when you run your hand through his hair fur still flies off. This is an experienced groomer, who has done this treatment for all kinds of dogs, and he was perplexed.

Is there any connection to enzymes? Or B12? Or, could this be due to the new info about vitamins A,D,&E?

Thanks, Friends!---Pam