Low B12 or SID?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
ACDLouMa
State: Maine
Pet name: Louie
My name: Jackie

Low B12 or SID?

Post by ACDLouMa » 16 Oct 2021, 20:50

Our blue healer had been doing great the past few months since getting his treatment protocol dialed in early this summer (1C LD food w/1 tsp enzymes 3x day; slippery elm, B-12 2x day; CBD, movoflex, Derremax 1x day) His blood test had his B12 at <150, thankfully he responded quickly and very favorably after having a B12 shot followed by WonderLabs B12 supplements.

A few weeks ago where he was doing so well, his SE and B-12 went down to 1x day and his stools became soft to loose, he was having episodes of room clearing gas and often a gurgling belly. We put him back to 2x day and he has improved, but was inconsistent with stools, anywhere from nice firm logs to loose piles.

We gave him a B12 shot, and he again responded well, but 2 weeks later he’s still inconsistent.

He is not a dog that can handle getting blood drawn frequently, and our vet allows for B12 injections to be administered based on signs and symptoms.

He responded so well to a single B12 shot in April that was backed with the WonderLabs supplement, but we are wondering if he may need more frequent injections to help him, or if we should be looking at SID as a culprit also.

Should we continue with weekly or bi-weekly B12 injections or should we be considering SID and getting him back on Tylan? If so, for how long?

Thank you.
mom to Louie a male 10-year-old Australian Cattle

4/2021
TLI 6.3
B12 <150
Folate 22.7

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Low B12 or SID?

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Oct 2021, 09:03

Hi Jackie,
Can you tell me what is LD food? Is it grain free?

Are you hearing tummy rumblings and gas if so I would ask my vet for Tylan. It is to be given twice a day for 45 days then you gradually wean off. Some dogs are in a maintenance dose for life as when they start weaning symptoms come back.

Have you tried the B12 caps at 3x/ day? I would suspect if your dog does better on a maintenance B12 shot then so be it.

Please let me know about the food. Thanks!

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

ACDLouMa
State: Maine
Pet name: Louie
My name: Jackie

Post by ACDLouMa » 19 Oct 2021, 22:04

His food is Natural Balance limited ingredient diet (salmon and sweet potato) and yes, grain free.
He hasn’t had any loud gurgling from his belly like when he was first dealing with EPI is SIBO back in March, and the gas has decreased, and his gas seems to be getting better.

We can up his oral B12 to 3 times a day, the vet is very good and will give us B12 shots whenever we ask for them (he trained us to administer at home) and today has agreed to going with 6 weeks of shots then ever other.
mom to Louie a male 10-year-old Australian Cattle

4/2021
TLI 6.3
B12 <150
Folate 22.7

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Oct 2021, 22:10

Yes, I see on the food. Thanks.
Let us know how that works.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.