Possible Case- Minimal Weight Loss

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PennysMom
State: Pennsylvania
Pet name: Penny
My name: Lauren

Re: Possible Case- Minimal Weight Loss

Post by PennysMom » 15 Oct 2021, 16:47

Thanks Jean! I hope your back is feeling better. Penny and I both know what back pain is like, no fun!

I really had to push for the Tylan so we will see (the vet seemed to think my internet research was excessive and was shocked I knew what Tylan powder and EPI were). Right now isn't the time to be vet shopping since there is such a shortage so I think we may be stuck with them for awhile. They were who figured out her spinal issue and did an amazing job managing that so part of me doesn't want to switch either. I don't have a source for raw near me that will sell me pancreas (I have called a few but I will keep searching) so I am going to wait it out and see if she is respondent to the meds and other stuff and if we still don't have success test and proceed from there.

I am a big believer in only changing one thing at a time so we can see what actually has an impact so we will do that. She started the two powders on her food and the change in her anxiety medication last night and so far today so good. I will keep with that for a week or two and see how we are doing. She slept better last night than she has in WEEKS! I actually checked to make sure she was still alive a few times because I am used to her moving around so frequently. I'm hoping that is a sign her stomach is settling and she is more comfortable. My dad had to run over this morning because I realized I had left her probiotics on the counter and they are refrigerator and he said she was happy and didn't seem to have any effects from the meds while I was at work. I am still waiting for bloodwork results (hoping there will be no major red flags there!) they said 24 hours or so and we are passed that so I am assuming no news is good news at this point since places are starting to close for the weekend!

I will keep everyone updated!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 16 Oct 2021, 05:57

Thank You Lauren, bit better this morning.

It makes a lot of sense to change one thing at a time , and to learn patience !

keep a jornal to see what does work and what doesnt

its also useful to do a test thet shows the time it takes for your dog to digest food, dead simple, chop up carrot mix in food , record the time it is eaten and the time it comes out the other end, that shows you, and its interesting that all dogs have a different time scale
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

PennysMom

Post by PennysMom » 16 Oct 2021, 21:03

I had read about the carrot test! I am planning to give her a week or so to stabilize on the new regimen and then try. Good news is that her blood work came back normal and basically unchanged from March, which is great considering everything she has been through, especially long term prednisone. Also good news, she hadn't had a bowel movement since just before the vet on Thursday morning (for most of her life she had been a once a day or maybe every other day so that isn't abnormal) and she finally went at my parents this afternoon and while the first half was a bit soft, the rest was getting close to her typical consistency. She absolutely HATES the Tylan powder but she did take both doses sprinkled on food today with a bit of bribery. Hoping that this continues to help, but planning to order the self-test in a few weeks either way to know for sure!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Oct 2021, 15:02

Lauren, has anybody suggested Diane's Enzymes, a sample pack, and also a Schebo Test from Diane?
https://enzymediane.com/
https://enzymediane.com/product-category/test-kits/
The test is less accurate than the fasting blood draw, but I believe they say if it's negative you can believe it.
Tucker was barely underweight for most of his life.
---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

PennysMom

Post by PennysMom » 19 Oct 2021, 19:19

Hi Pam,

I am giving the treatment regimen the vet has recommended a few weeks to settle in (also my wallet a chance to recover we are thousands in this year and the other day was over $400) before considering trying that! I didn't realize she had samples but I may add that to the test order if things don't turn around for her. Luckily with the Tylan and Probiotic we have noted an improvement already so maybe it just is a gut thing. The vet really wanted to try to wean her off of prednisone again as well to see if the long term use could be causing it. We hadn't been successful the first few attempts to taper her, however so far we are doing well with the taper and not noting any side effects yet! I am hoping her spine has finally had enough time for the swelling to go down and for the disc to heal. We have been doing daily physical therapy for over 6 months at home aimed at helping that. Tomorrow is her gotcha day so we are going to celebrate that she is still here after a really rough last 6 months!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 20 Oct 2021, 05:44

How wonderful that you can accentuate the positive! Fingers crossed---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

PennysMom

Post by PennysMom » 28 Oct 2021, 18:59

So after exactly two weeks of the new medications we are again seeing some looser stools, bigger volume and a little bit of blood. It seems like this is an every two week thing with this pup. Left a message for vet but unfortunately my parents are traveling next week and I can't take any time off of work so if they need to see her we will be going in emergency on Sunday or possibly an evening spot. She is so happy and its still doing well with her steroid taper (she took her last full tablet today and goes down to 1/2 tablet and then no tablet tomorrow!). Hoping we will figure out what the key is to this!

Any tips on getting a dog to take Tylan powder? She refuses her food when it is on it!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Oct 2021, 05:53

My maltipoo has IBD, and I have to put the tylan into a capsule. Coat in a little butter & put it in the back of her mouth & hold her snout shut. It's not the most humane method, but I have to give it to her in the am, and I don't have time to coax...if she doesn't get it in the morning, I come home to a stinky house, with squirts all over the floor. UGH. I give my EPI boy B12 in a capsule, so I just dump out the contents & use those same capsules for Ruthie's tylan.

It's a little hard to tell how much is going into the capsule, but with tylan you don't have to always be exact, as long s they get enough. At least that's what I've been told. ---Pam

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 29 Oct 2021, 09:09

Tylan powder is very bitter.

We put it in capsules and I use "Serenegy WrapIt Mix" and Nikki just takes them without any issues.
https://www.serenegy.com/products/potat ... wrapit-mix

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."