Waiting on Test Results

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Waiting on Test Results

Post by Madelon » 31 Oct 2021, 16:25

Hi Brittany! Sorry I have not replied sooner. My GSD, Doc, was tested for EPI at 3mos old because he had yellowish cow pie diarrhea that smelled worse than anything I'd ever experienced. His TLI was 16, B12 was 800 range and Folate was greater than 24 - he was diagnosed with SID and treated with 2 rounds of metronidazole (I didn't know any better back then). He did fine after that for a few months - at 9mos old he weighed 95lbs!! At 10mos old he started to slowly lose weight - poops were still good - at 12mos old he started to have the same diarrhea again and despite feeding him 8cups of food a day by the time he was 13mos old he had lost a total of 20lbs. He was re-tested for EPI and his TLI was now 0.4, B12 was 406 and Folate was greater than 24. So while it's good to test early and getting the word out about EPI has helped to get testing done earlier, sometimes the test is done early enough that the pancreas is still functioning enough where the TLI does not indicate EPI. If you continue to see symptoms of EPI, I highly suggest testing again as it takes time for the pancreas to atrophy.

As for the food sensitivities - my boy is sensitive to everything! If you have to end up switching hydrolyzed food - not sure which one you are currently using - the one that seems to work best for EPI and food sensitivities is Royal Canin Ultamino.

Keep us posted on how things are going.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Waiting on Test Results

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Oct 2021, 19:00

thanks Madelon for sharing Doc's story!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........