Liver enzymes ALT level of 1500

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Liver enzymes ALT level of 1500

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Dec 2021, 13:15

I too am wishing the very best outcome for Whiskey and hopefully he will be back home for the holidays, cheerful and on his way to being healthy once again !
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

nessmuk@ntcnet.com
State: New York
Pet name: Whiskey
My name: Elizabeth

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 20 Dec 2021, 14:33

Thanks! :)

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 26 Dec 2021, 20:15

Well the liver and intestinal biopsy surgery went well and Whiskey came home on Christmas eve.. We won’t know the results for 2 weeks but I am glad that now the vets will have the information to know exactly what is causing his high ALT levels and how to treat it. I will keep everyone posted on what he is finally diagnosed with and the necessary treatment. He is doing well on the hydrolyzed protein food and his poops are the same as they were a few weeks ago. He is his happy active self which is a challenge due to his restricted movement required for healing. I am attaching the brief summary report from his surgery in case anyone is interested.
Question - do people usually purchase the tylosin tartrate soluble powder from Chewy? Is it what most people use and not what the vet sells? I just noticed that it gives directions for poultry and swine.
Take good care and wishing you all a very happy new year! May 2022 bring you and all those you love lasting peace, abundant joy and excellent health!
Elizabeth
Attachments
IMG_20211226_0002.pdf
Cornell Report on Whiskey 12/24/21
(2.75 MiB) Downloaded 67 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Dec 2021, 08:42

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for the update. I am glad you got your pup home for Christmas. Looks like thorough testing was done and I willbe interesyed in updates.
Tylan can be purchased through pharmacies like Chewy.com.
Yes, it says for swine and poultry, the powder.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 01 Jan 2022, 10:19

Well Whiskey had been doing well since his 12/23 biopsy... incision healing well, acting normal, eating well on the hydrolyzed protein dog food which I was surprised at how he ate it all up without anything on it. He has only been on the tylan (1/4 tsp - 2x/day) and enzymes (1 tsp/cup) as doctor asked. After his surgery his poops started out ok but were getting progressively worse starting back at the yellow soft with some brown poop but this morning pure yellow liquid. I am extremely bummed and just emailed and tried to leave a message for the vet to ask her suggestions but the Cornell email communication has been pretty bad especially over the holidays. I will call my vet on Monday to see if there is anything she suggests to do. I hate to see him slip back but know that it is probably his liver or GI issue that is causing it. We still may have another week to get the results. I don't know if anyone has any suggestions for me but thought I would ask anyway.
No photos necessary, I am sure everyone has seen yellow runny poop! :(

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Jan 2022, 13:16

Are Whiskey's B12 values where they should be or are you supplementing?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 01 Jan 2022, 14:15

The vet gave him a b12 shot when he was there for his first appointment 12/15. She said he will need a shot again in a month. I was giving him b12 daily prior to that.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Jan 2022, 14:25

Hmm, so B12 is probably ok.
Does Whiskey happen to be on the borderline of the weight for Tylan dosing?

Jill

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 01 Jan 2022, 18:36

I am not sure. He weighs 75 lbs and gets 1/4 tsp - 2x/day as Olesia recommended. The Cornell vet ordered some tylan capsules online for me but I haven't received them yet. I have been putting the powder in empty capsules myself as he wouldn't eat his food well when I sprinkled it on top.
Thanks for your questions.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 02 Jan 2022, 14:25

Hi Elizabeth.

At 80 pounds, Tucker would receive the same therapeutic dose of Tylan that you are giving to Whiskey.
Maybe this slip is somehow related to the procedure he had---stress can really wreak havoc, so who knows? Sometimes Tucker eats something growing outside, and gets a little flare. Hopefully, Whiskey clears up soon & you get good news from the vet.

I am impressed that you feel a three hour drive is no big deal for that lucky boy!

Keep us posted, as we are pulling for you.

---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.