Ziska, our 2nd EPI dog: Her journey has ended

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Donna Warmer
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Ziska
My name: Donna Warner

Ziska, our 2nd EPI dog: Her journey has ended

Post by Donna Warmer » 12 Feb 2022, 23:00

Ten days ago Ziska lost her battle with degenerative myelopathy (DM), which is a horrible disease. She came to us weighing only 32 pounds at approx. 8-9 yrs old. She was severely emaciated and had no spirit due to malnourishment and probably being crated for 24 hours a day thus having lifelong UTI/bladder issues. We were only going to foster her and it was an uphill battle fighting to keep her alive b/c the rescue organization wanted to terminate her due to cost of emergency vet and hospitalization the first month we had her. Because of our prior experience treating Onza for EPI for 9 years, we felt certain that Ziska had EPI. With the help of the vet hospital staff, she "accidentally" got the TLi test, which was positive for EPI ! At that point, we were convinced we were the right forever home for her. Once we started her on enzymes, the turn-around was immediate! Ziska started gaining weight, came out of her shell, and stopped raiding the trash can. At first she didn't bark any and did not know what a dog toy was but that changed quickly. Seven months later on Valentine's Day, she got a 13 pound, 9 week old, baby brother German Shepherd Dog. This brought her out of her shell even more and her motherly instincts kicked in. At this point she was extremely gentle and patient with him, as he was a 'little monster' who grew up to be a 95 lb handsome boy who loved 'his Zissy' and had to be with her every minute. Two years later we noticed her back paws starting to knuckle under, which was the first sign of DM. Within 6 months she could no longer stand or walk with her back legs. Since she still has front leg mobility, we used a Help'em Up Harness and she would go for walks in her dog wheelchair/cart. Within one year she lost front leg mobility but still had incredible spirit and energy. She graduated from her cart to a wagon for walks and we were able to move her around and outside for potty breaks using her harness and an inflatable exercise peanut. This last phase went on for more than a year. In the last 6 wks we were having some trouble getting her to eat. By the end of January, she refused to eat anything with enzymes which created another problem which all of us EPI'ers know well. At this point we tried everything in vain - even using all the tricks on the EPI4Dogs page Camouflaging Enzymes. When she stopped drinking water we knew the time had come. Our vet, who has become our friend, came to our house which made the passing much easier and more personal. Ziska, even though she was small for a GSD (55 lbs), never showed fear or timidness towards any person or any other dog and loved each and every one of them she met. She was a blessing in our life and it was a privileged and joy to have her. Our motto with Ziska was and always will be "who saved who"! We are so thankful for EPI4Dogs and all the people that make it happen, the community of support it holds, and especially thankful for Olesia for making it all possible from the start. Donna & William Warner
epi4dogs helped save our sweet Onza's life when she was 4 years old. We lost her in March 2017; she was almost 13. She was in the Chunky Monkey Club! We rescued precious Ziska shortly after losing Onza. She was 30 lbs and approx 7-8 yrs old - every bone in her body showed. We had her tested for EPI ...the rest is history. Who saved who?? We lost Ziska in February 2022. Both of our EPI dogs will be in our hearts forever -- they touched so many lives!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Ziska, our 2nd EPI dog: Her journey has ended

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Feb 2022, 23:26

Oh NO!!!!! I am so so SO sorry to hear that you had to say goodbye to Ziska..... My heart is broken for both you, Donna and William.

You hearts and home literally gave a new life to Ziska against all the odds stacked against her and i know how she blossomed under your love. You were a blessing to her as much as she was a blessing to you.

Her story touched the lives of so many so much so, that she will leave a legacy of hope for years to come to so many struggling not only with EPI but DM.

I will always remember this picture, a picture of a true family, that you submitted to me when Epi4Dogs did the EPI presentation to veterinarians.

Forever in our hearts,
Attachments
Ziska1.png
Ziska1.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1277 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Feb 2022, 08:34

Donna and William,
I am so sorry to hear you lost Ziska. I rememberwhen you came on with Onza. You two are very special people with loving knowledge to help such special pups. My heart is with you.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 13 Feb 2022, 18:14

I am sorry for the loss you have experienced. May warm memories of Ziska fill the hole in your heart. She was lucky she found you. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Feb 2022, 18:30

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to Ziska. What gifts you have been to each other! Having gone through DM with Kip and then EPI with Kolby, we know the special love these dogs share with us. She is forever with you.

Barb

wsantschi
State: Texas
Pet name: Lucy
My name: Bill

Post by wsantschi » 14 Feb 2022, 19:09

So very sorry to read about your Ziska. What special people you are to care for her (and, your other EPI pup too!) I hope she didn't suffer.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Feb 2022, 07:56

My heart is with you

we lost Kara to DM and I have a picture of her exactly like yours with her cart , and the lift em up harness was her best friend

love

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

TrixEPIMama
State: Texas
Pet name: Trixie

Post by TrixEPIMama » 23 Feb 2022, 15:30

I'm so sorry to hear about Ziska. She sounds like a wonderful dog, and you like a wonderful human for her.

I'm relatively new here and it seems there's been too many deaths just in the short time since I joined. If there's any cause to be glad, I'm glad that so many lived long, happy lives and did NOT die of any complications from EPI.

I know what it's like to lose a beloved dog, and I wish healing to all who have suffered that loss and happiness to all whose four-leggeds are still alive and as well as EPI critters can be.
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.