Kenzie

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Re: Kenzie

Post by Floramac » 28 Feb 2022, 10:25

Thank you everyone for caring and comforting words.
How do we move on, struggling dreadfully. She was our world.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Feb 2022, 19:53

Hi Fiona,

I don't think you ever really move on, but rather tuck the memories in a special place in your heart and forever hold them..........................

I had a real difficult time when my Izzy passed on. She not only was my heart dog but she was the dog that changed the course of my life and the reason why i started Epi4Dogs. What helped me was creating a photo book of memories of her life with us. It was cathartic for me.... and maybe doing something like this with all the photos you have of Kenzie might help you too.................. HUGS!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 Mar 2022, 13:59

are you having her ashes at home ?

Trust me I have tears in my eyes reading your post

you take 1 day at a time ,

love and hugs

Jeanxxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 02 Mar 2022, 14:35

We collected her ashes today. Shattered and broken but glad to have her home. It's not just that our home and garden are empty and bleak it's that She is not here, I am still struggling to accept it. We did not have children as we were both career military so she became our life when we retired. We are working hard to get through it and we know we will get through the agony but oh how it hurts.

Jean, I sent you the enzymes and Tylan yesterday, please let me know when it arrives.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Mar 2022, 14:57

HI Fiona,

It is comforting to bring them (their ashes) home.... but the silence is deafening and the emptiness is over-whelming.......... my heart is breaking for you......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 02 Mar 2022, 19:21

Please don't everyone get mad at me, please. I have children & grandchildren, and the love I feel for my doggies is in a different category. I love my pups, but there is no comparison for me. People who don't have children feel differently, and I understand that.

That said, why not honor Kenzie, by going to the shelter and choosing a pup in need, or rather, letting one choose you? As you raise Kenzie's sibling, you will know that Kenzie is watching over all of you, minding the new member and making sure she is a good dog. Your words are so sad, and my feeling is, you need the distraction from your grief. You really would be doing such a good thing, too. Someone new to love. Prayers.
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 03 Mar 2022, 08:07

Fiona, I received your enzymes, and am overwhelmed at the amount you sent , they will go to good causes in Kenzies name

I felt better when I brought Karas ashes home, its hard when you have spent every waking hour keeping them alive , and they are taken from you for another reason

We dont have children either, and I totally am with you on the emptyness, and the harsh reality, we have my nephews border Collie with us at the moment , we had him for 5 months last year as he was working away which he is right now, but he is not Kara, we have had in total 5 dogs and they have all meant the world to us and 4 cats , but Kara was special

much Love

Jeanxxxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 03 Mar 2022, 11:50

Hi Fiona,,
The early stages of grief are very hard. When we lost our first German Shepherd, Kip, I was unprepared for the depth of my grief....even though he had DM and we knew it was coming.

And each person goes through the process in their own way. So be gentle with yourself. I was unable to think of another dog at all, while my hubby was actively searching within a week. We have to be gentle with each other, too.

However, after a couple of months, once he found Kolby, I have to admit, it eased the pain, but I couldn't have done it sooner.

Then, of course, Kolby got EPI within a year, but lived vibrantly with it for 11 years until he suddenly developed a cancer, totally unrelated to EPI. The suddenness hit us hard. We were devastated. We couldn't move his toys or bowls or beds and I couldn't write a tribute to him for months.

But again, hubby did not want to be without a German Shepherd in the house, especially since COVID had hit hard and we were not getting any younger. So we decided to help in our own way during the pandemic, and we adopted Madison, a lovely seven year old girl who came with her own set of challenges, but has blossomed into a wonderful companion for our senior years.

So take all the time you need to grieve and to figure out your own way forward. There is no one right way. The love you shared with
Kenzie will lead you in the right direction.

Hugs.

Barb

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 03 Mar 2022, 14:54

Thank you Olesia, Jean and Barb, all so very true and helpful.
We will be getting together with some dear friends, dogs and children to say our farewells. We have had so much love and understanding from far and wide. All helps when everything feels bleak.
Thank you all for everything you do.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Mar 2022, 15:05

Fiona,
hugs.jpg
hugs.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

HUGS!