Oliver’s journey….

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Oliver’s journey….

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 May 2022, 13:49

I still have to remind myself to save my happy poop conversations for the forum.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

kholzer
State: Ohio
Pet name: Oliver
My name: Kat

Post by kholzer » 31 May 2022, 15:54

My boyfriend is 30 and I am 28 … we both always look at each other and laugh because who knew we would be this excited about our dog having normal poops

Happy to hear your Oliver is doing well!
My Oliver is still a trouble child, his poops are normal but he hates eating

Olivers Mom
State: Arizona

Post by Olivers Mom » 31 May 2022, 23:54

Another Oliver! I love it!!

No, it’s quite a sight to outsiders that we get soooo excited about our pup’s poos.

My Oliver sometimes goes through the I don’t want to eat that crap in that dog bowl as he looks over at my plate (he knows my food is forbidden). I swear he thinks he’s royalty.

If there’s anything I can suggest or help with, let me know. One day I hope to be able to answer questions. Right now I’m still in the newbie stage. One thing I now know, it’s a roller coaster but one I’m honored to be a part of. I was chosen to keep this guy healthy. How awesome is that?? ❤️

Hugs
Oliver’s mom Kaelen
Oliver is a sable red GSD. Tested positive for EPI on 11-11-21. Results: TLI <1, Cobalamin 170, Folate >24. Weight: 72.5 lbs. Currently taking Enzymes Diane 1tsp/cup of limited ingredient Lamb kibble (3% fiber). Cobalamin 2-12-‘22: 269, Folate: 16. Weight: 82 lbs Oral Vitamin B12 daily.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 Jun 2022, 10:53

Everyone here has been there at the beginning

My journey started 2010, so its a while ago, we lost Kara 2019, nothing to do with EPI

We share experiences and what has worked , or not, for our pets

pleae feel free to share anything even if its just what has happened today, poeple just need to know thay are not alone in this crazy world

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Jun 2022, 13:13

So true, Jean. We're a good support group, for sure.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 01 Jun 2022, 13:43

some of these people are personal friends

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

TrixEPIMama
State: Texas
Pet name: Trixie

Post by TrixEPIMama » 01 Jun 2022, 15:37

Tuckaboo Pam wrote: 29 May 2022, 13:49 I still have to remind myself to save my happy poop conversations for the forum.
Oh man, that is SO true! I find myself discussing poops and how Trixie rates on the poop scale, then realizing uh oh, this isn't what normal people, even normal dog people, consider a happy conversational topic.

My best wishes to the human parents of both Olivers and all the other critters here. It really is nice to be able to talk about these things safely and to get the help we and our four-leggeds need.
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.

Olivers Mom

Post by Olivers Mom » 03 Jun 2022, 22:00

Update: Oliver’s poos are solid! Now…. He’s decided he does not want to eat his food. Ugh. I swear he’s doing this on purpose. He’s definitely a diva German Shepherd lol. I keep looking at him saying “you’re lucky you’re cute”.

So I ordered another brand of grain free lamb and sweet potato. Nope. Not going to eat that.

Tried his favorite toppers and yes he will eat the topper. Will push all the food around to get the tiniest morsel of canned. I’ve made it into a gravy so he will eat. I’ve witnessed him literally spit out the kibble then he looks up at me. Again, I’m thinking he’s doing this on purpose if that’s possible.

He’s got all the energy in the world. I don’t feel any weight loss.

So, off to the pet store for a turkey base grain free food . Perhaps he’s just done with the lamb (I’d don’t blame his as I don’t like lamb either lol). Never a dull moment with our EPI babies.

Wish me luck.
Kaelen
Oliver is a sable red GSD. Tested positive for EPI on 11-11-21. Results: TLI <1, Cobalamin 170, Folate >24. Weight: 72.5 lbs. Currently taking Enzymes Diane 1tsp/cup of limited ingredient Lamb kibble (3% fiber). Cobalamin 2-12-‘22: 269, Folate: 16. Weight: 82 lbs Oral Vitamin B12 daily.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 04 Jun 2022, 04:43

we donated more dog food to rescues at the start, try parmesan cheese or the one they LOVE pan fried liver with a small amount of garlic all mine plus cats would have killed for it , or maybe a bit of cat food, and we have a time share Border Collie Sagan, we have him when my Nephew works away, non EPI , and its weird after so many years

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Olivers Mom

Post by Olivers Mom » 04 Jun 2022, 11:17

Jean,
What great suggestions! I’ll definitely get liver. Does it need to be beef liver?

This morning he ate most of his kibble (starting that slow food change process). Yay.

Poos are solid.

Still giving tylosin 3/4 tsp twice daily (down from 1 tsp twice daily). I don’t think I’ll make any changes to this until I get him switched over to the new food.

Started giving him 8x Enzyme Diane instead of 6x. Reason: he did not eat any food with enzymes on it. He hated the “mush” after incubation. My vet suggested putting the enzymes in gelcaps. So… I did that. Unfortunately I was giving him 14 gelcaps in the morning (8 with enzymes, 4 with tylosin, 2 with Vit B12) and 12 at the next meals. He started vomiting. I would too if I had that many gelcaps shoved down my throat.

So, I have been mixing enzymes and Vit B12 in a dollop of cream cheese. Tylosin still in gelcaps (nasty taste. Since I fill my own gelcaps I can definitely tell you it’s horrible). He takes the enzymes great. Has been eating his food until yesterday. No mouth sores (I check daily). Ate this morning so I think we are going to be good for a millisecond…

So yes, every trick/suggestions are so appreciated. This is definitely trial and error.

Does anyone need dog food 🙄🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️. Will be donating another bag to my neighbors.

Kaelen