Preserving uneaten food?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mtndoggracie
State: Colorado
Pet name: Gracie
My name: Olivia

Preserving uneaten food?

Post by mtndoggracie » 11 Jun 2022, 12:40

Hello! My dog Gracie was diagnosed with EPI last winter and we have been successful in getting her back to health with the EPI4Dogs suggestions of powdered enzymes, h2o, and letting it sit on the food for 15 minutes.

Prior to getting sick, it was normal for Gracie to skip meals, particularly in the summer months when it is hot outside. This is her first summer with EPI, and unfortunately we are noticing her pick this habit back up. I'm not concerned about her not eating (I know she will eat eventually), but am at a loss for what to do with the food that we've prepared for her with these precious ($$$) enzymes! Can we put it in the fridge? Leave it out? How long can it be left "digesting" before it is no longer good to eat? The water makes it a gross texture, so I'm not sure what to do! Any guidance here would be appreciated.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Preserving uneaten food?

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Jun 2022, 17:15

You can refrigerate uneaten portions but the refrigeration makes the enzymes inactive. Before feeding it to your pup set the refrigerated bowl of food in a bowl of warm water and bring the food to room temperature. Do not reheat it in the microwave, too hot kills the enzymes.
You will need to keep an eye open that the poop stays good.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Jun 2022, 17:50

Maybe reduce her portions, and if she seems hungry, feed her more often?And, unlike before treatment, she is being nourished by the food with enzymes, just fewer calories when it's hot out. Hopefully she won't lose too much weight. I actually marinate Tucker's food for only 5 minutes, because I just don't have time to wait 20. He's OK. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

REGIFLOR
Pet name: Hannah
My name: Regina

Post by REGIFLOR » 11 Jun 2022, 21:56

Oh! I didn't realize it wasn't mandatory to let the enzymes sit for 20mins - i've been tempted to let them incubate for closer to 5-10mins for texture and sometimes convenience too - but that lesser time won't cause the caustic mouth sores I've heard about?
thank you all!!!

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Jun 2022, 22:26

You are correct. To minimize mouth sores we usually recommend 15 to 20 minute incubation time.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Jun 2022, 22:30

I'm not on staff! I'm just an EPI mom who's sharing my experience. I guess you can just try it & see how it goes. My vet told me I didn't need to marinate the food at all, according to the maker of the enzymes he first prescribed, but I learned on the forum that food should be marinated. I just can't do it because I feed five dogs at a time, plus my workday starts very early, so I don't have time to wait around. Tucker is OK with this, but your dog may not be. So just be careful. -- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Jun 2022, 22:56

There will always be exceptions to the guidelines: animals who get mouthsores just looking at the enzymes, and animals whom the enzymes don't seem to be harsh. Hence the ballpark 15 to 20 minute marinate.

Jill

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jun 2022, 12:27

what you can do for summertime.... is prepare a little less food..... if not all eaten put in the frig ... do NOT let it sit out for more than an hour (bacteria may start brewing causing SID to really get out of control) .... and when ready to give the remainder food... warm up like Jill suggested above... but you can also toss in a few new kibbles to give it some "crunch" Just know that the enzymes potency may be reduced somewhat and some dogs (although not all), if constantly eating refrigerated food that has not been warmed up to room temp "might" encourage more SID (small intestinal dysbiosis).

ANother couple of things you "might".... want to try...

1. (let's use normally 1 cup of food as an example)..... is to prepare only 1/4 cup of food you normally would do... enzyme/incubate and serve... and with some dogs.... seeing way less food in their dish prompts them to want to eat more... if you try this and get that "confused hunger stare"... wait a few minutes...like ignore them, go sit down in another room (only for a few minutes) and then act as if you just realized they are telling you they are still hungry....and then go ahead and prepare a 1/2 cup of food/enzymes/incubate and serve. Many dogs will then eat with gusto.... You are feeding jsut slightly less because their bodies just don't require as much in the summer BUT you are also creating the desire to eat...

Although the above technique is a pain in the butt, you only have to do it for a few days.... as some dogs will figure out that they REALLY want to finish the food in their bowl.

2. Another technique is make a game of it. Does your dog like searching for things/finding things? If so.... prepare the meal (in your case i would start with 20 or 25% less because this seems to be the M.O. of your dog not wanting to eat that much in the summer.....) when ready hold the bowl of food in front of your dog and then put your dog in a sit/wait and go hide the bowl of food somewhere in the house.... and have your dog find it. If your dog won't sit/wait... put your dog in a room that has a door, and do the same... hold the bowl in front of the dog, let them get a good sniff, close the door... place the food bowl in another room and then let the dog out to find it...... This is just an example of figuring out what your dog's enjoyment is and utilizing that somehow someway to incorporate getting them to eat. But once again, i'd reduce the amount of food slightly since it sure sounds like your dog just doesn't need as much food in the summer as it does during other seasons.......................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mtndoggracie
State: Colorado
Pet name: Gracie
My name: Olivia

Post by mtndoggracie » 14 Jun 2022, 13:20

These are all great tips, thank you all! I've been feeding her a slightly smaller portion at night to pique more hunger in the morning, which seems to be helping. I will try the "hide and seek" method too! Gracie loves a good game of hide and seek.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Jun 2022, 15:28

Let me know if the hide and seek "game" works for you. My new dog, is NOT food motivated at all.... he would turn his nose up at real meat..and walk away..... it was SOOOOooo frustrating. (for me!!!!)..... until i made a game of it... now he gets excited when i start preparing his meal and sometimes even barks at me cause he is excited about the upcoming "hunt" . :lol:
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........