Concerned and discouraged

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Concerned and discouraged

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Apr 2022, 19:52

oh wow... Montgomery certainly looks a whole lot better. Amazing how well they heal once on a good EPI protocol!

And....what a great idea.... to wrap up the tail and legs to help keep things clean during excessive diarrhea Never would have thought of that! Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Mongomery is quite handsome too.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 19 Apr 2022, 20:22

Mecca, non-stick gauze pad, paper tape, vet wrap. Best deal on vet wrap was North York Farmers, and we had yards of it. To this day, don't mess with his feet or he'll bite you.
Yes, it's amazing looking back how far he's come. I knew that picture was on the camera, but there were (not kidding) a couple thousand cat pictures to go through to find it.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Apr 2022, 20:29

well thank you for sharing !!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chris
Pet name: Mochi

Post by Chris » 26 Apr 2022, 22:58

Here is an update: Mochi has gained a couple pounds. Yay!! He is at 54 lbs now. We are feeding him with Taste of the Wild 4 times a day. 1/3 cup of water and Diane enzymes 1 tsp/cup. Vitamin B once daily. Still waiting for the slippery elm to come in.
His poop is still soft but slightly formed.
**My concerns are he seems depressed. He just lies around. Still enjoys his walks though. He is eating but at times is disinterested. (I would too. It isn't very appetizing and doesn't smell so great). He knows to wait for the timer to go off before he gets his bowl. He also is panting more even at rest And he seems to be drinks more water.**
I don't know if this is normal. We are however, more encouraged with seeing a small progress.
🙂

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Apr 2022, 23:15

so glad to hear that he has gained weight.... that is very good news...

But the "depression".... my first thought is that the B12 may not be coming up to a good level as expected.
i know his B12 was VERY low..... so if you are giving 1000mcg of B12 in pill form (Pet Factor from WOnderlabs?) try giving 2 capsules for maybe 5 days and see if that improves his "depression"

However, when first starting with the powdered enzymes, many of our dogs often do drink a LOT more water and consequently pee a lot more in the beginning (this can last from a few weeks to at most a month)......but... even knowing that this is a common occurrence in the beginning..... the fact that he is drinking a lot more water and is down in the dumps...... i would have the vet test him for possible diabetes and anything else the vet thinks might be going on. Hopefully this is not diabetes, but better safe than sorry..........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Apr 2022, 05:20

Hi Chris---

I feel your pain, when he doesn't want to eat. Lately, Tucker has been apathetic about his meals, too.

I have taken to adding a handful of shredded cheese, a bit of leftover meat, or a dollop of canned food to the bowl, right on top (an extra pinch of enzymes, too). Once he eats the best part, either his juices start flowing, or he searches for more of the yummy stuff throughout his bowl.

At any rate, he completes his meal.

I should have read more before starting this, but are you treating for SID?

---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 Apr 2022, 09:28

Congratulations on the weight gain. Yay Mochi. I agree with Olesia that you should try giving him two Wonderlabs B12 pills per day. We did this with Kolby and it turned him around on the weight gain and on his appetite. However, I also agree that you might want to test him for diabetes just to rule it out. Kolby did drink a lot more water and peed a lot more at the beginning. He did not have diabetes, but you will feel better if you rule it out.

Hang in there. It is nerve wracking until you get everything balanced.

Barb

Chris

Post by Chris » 27 Apr 2022, 12:43

Thank you Pam, Barbara and olesia.

I didn't realize that I could add a little something to his kibble. That might helpa bit. I will try increasing his B12 as well. He is finishing his steroid treatment and we are still waiting to add slippery elm. I will make an appointment with his vet for peace of mind.
Thank you again for your valued advice!!!

Chris

Re: Concerned and discouraged - update

Post by Chris » 20 Jun 2022, 13:26

Hello everyone,

I wanted to send a little update on our case and hopefully encourage anyone new to the forum.
After being diagnosed end of February and finding EPI4DOGS in April things have changed greatly.

After losing 20 lbs, we are finally back on track. I recently had to reduce the amount of food I was giving him because he is now gaining too much.

If there is such a thing as celebrating a dog's poop - we did! We were literally dancing around our furry guys perfect poop! He has been consistent for about 3 weeks now.
He knows to sit and wait for the timer to go off before getting his food. Our other dog (No EPI issues) has adopted the wait before eating as well to encourage Mochi.
The cost is slowly coming down a little as we are feeding 2 cups less/day and thus using a little less enzyme powder which will show in the long run.
We are still learning but no longer feel the heavy burden.

I can not stress enough the value of this website, the support from everyone and Olesia's expertise.

Hang in there it does get better

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 20 Jun 2022, 18:47

Chris----Yea!!! and---

1) I agree with what you've said about this group, and

2) FYI the Happy Poop Dance is a real thing around here!

Good job, glad the you're getting the prices down a bit.---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.