Does anybody know if we could substitute Rabeprazole 20 for Omeprazole 20?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Schleprock
Pet name: Ritter
My name: Jim

Does anybody know if we could substitute Rabeprazole 20 for Omeprazole 20?

Post by Schleprock » 23 Jun 2022, 14:17

They had me on Omeprazole for my GI issues and found that the Rabeprazole worked better for me and I’ve noticed the lip licking is still there with our boy so does anybody know if Rabeprazole is safe for dogs?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Does anybody know if we could substitute Rabeprazole 20 for Omeprazole 20?

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jun 2022, 15:27

i honestly do not know..... but call your vet and ask.... and if it is okay.. please let us know. Any time we can add an "alternative" to our EPI regimen is always a plus :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jun 2022, 15:47

ahhh..... there was some research done on Beagels...... please share the following with your vet and let us know what he/she advices.

This is a recent research article (which i do not have fu access to) https://analyticalsciencejournals.onlin ... .201601232 .... HOWEVER... i did find results from a similar study listed in an FDA publication
https://www.fda.gov/media/71693/download (see page 12) with the results listed as follows:

3.2 Animal Pharmacology/Toxicology
The sponsor provided responses (final study reports) to Pediatric Written Request -
Amendment #5 for pediatric studies with aciphex dated June 27, 2007. In the written
request, the sponsor was asked to conduct 1) a 4-week repeated dose toxicity study in
neonatal rats, and 2) a 90-day repeated dose toxicity study in neonatal dogs with aciphex.
In the 5-week juvenile rat study (282 male and 282 female, Study 900948), SpragueDawley rat from Days 7 to 41 post-partum were exposed to 5, 25, or 150 mg/kg
rabeprazole by oral gavage for 5 weeks. Treatment increased the serum gastrin
concentrations and stomach weight. Histopathological examination revealed a doserelated increase of cytoplasmic eosinophilia of chief cells in gastric mucosa. The gastric
mucosal thickness was also increased in the high dose males and females. The mean
density of ECL cells was increased in males at 5 mg/kg or higher and females at 25
Clinical Review

Wen-Yi Gao, M.D., Ph.D.
NDA 20-973/SE5-022
Aciphex (Rabeprazole)
mg/kg or higher. The changes were reversible. The NOAEL of the 5-week study in rats
was 25 mg/kg.
In the 90-day oral toxicity study in neonatal dogs, rabeprazole was given by oral gavage
to 7 days old dogs (31 male and 32 female Beagle dog pups) at 0, 3, 10, and 30
mg/kg/day (Study 900949). Treatment increased the serum gastrin level, stomach weight
and gastric mucosal thickness. Histopathological examination revealed degeneration
/necrosis of parietal cells and mucosal hypertrophy/ hyperplasia at the fundus of the
stomach in a dose-related manner. The changes were reversible. The NOAEL of the 90­
day study in dogs was 3 mg/kg.

In a previous 104-week carcinogenicity study in Sprague-Dawley rats, rabeprazole at 5
mg/kg/day induced gastric enterochromaffin-like (ECL) cell hyperplasia in male and
female rats. At the same dose level, rabeprazole also induced ECL cell carcinoid tumors
in female rats (Aciphex label).
The Pharmacology and Toxicology reviewer Dr. Ke Zhang commented that the 5-week
oral toxicity study in the neonatal rats and the 90-day oral toxicity in neonatal dogs are
acceptable, and that there were no new toxicities or target organ of toxicity identified in
these studies as compared to the adult animals. Completion of these studies in neonatal
rats and dogs satisfied the requirements of the Pediatric Written Requests (in Amendment
#5 dated June 27, 2007).
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Schleprock

Post by Schleprock » 23 Jun 2022, 18:15

Thanks for that information Olesia I’m still waiting to hear back from our vet and I will post what she advises us on.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Jun 2022, 18:43

thanks... i'd be very interested in what your vet says... the research indicates that there is much more relief with Rabepraole vs. Omeprazole for humans, but in the study, over 50% of kids under 12 years old had serious adverse reactions when given Rabepraole..... and lots of times.... when interchanging human drug with animals (dogs).. a dog dose is often the same as a child's .... so.... i am curious!

Schleprock

Post by Schleprock » 12 Jul 2022, 11:58

We didn’t even get a call back from our vet after leaving 3 messages. We went to our family physician and got a script for omeprazole.

We are currently looking for a new vet.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jul 2022, 12:35

I am so sorry to hear that that is the treatment (or lack there of) from you vet. Definitely need a new vet. Just a tip... ask around, neighbors, friends, those in your local community which vet do they feel "listens" and "works WITH" the pet owner, not just give instructions that they deem necessary. What we have found over the years is because you often have to "tweak" the recommended EPI protocol to best agree with the individual dog.... a vet that is willing to listen to you, be there to explain why something can't be done, but yet also be willing to "try" things that are not in the textbook that would be acceptable.... THAT is the best kind of vet to treat EPI. . We found that even vets that no nothing about EPI, but are so excited to have a patient with this condition that they go above and beyond researching and learning about EPI and are great to work "with" the pet's parents.

Just saying all this to let you know that you do not need a vet who is well versed in EPI but rather you need a vet who is willing to work with you :)

Glad your regular dr gave you a script for omeprazole. You can also buy it at any store under the name of Prilosec...... just give the right dosage and figure out the which way to buy it is less expensive.