German Shepherd - Soft poos, more than 6 per day and losing weight

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
cozminmihai
Pet name: KAIA
My name: Mihai

Re: German Shepherd - Soft poos, more than 6 per day and losing weight

Post by cozminmihai » 05 Jul 2022, 06:05

TrixEPIMama wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 22:51 Mihai, I can only imagine how heartbreaking Kaia's death has to be for you. She was so loved and left the world (and this community of dedicated helpers) so quickly. You and she are constantly in my heart, and I'm sure in the hearts of others.
Thank you so much!

cozminmihai

Post by cozminmihai » 05 Jul 2022, 06:06

jilbert57 wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 10:04 I am so sorry to hear this. God speed Kaia.

Jill
Thank you so much, Jill!

cozminmihai

Post by cozminmihai » 05 Jul 2022, 06:08

Olesia711 wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 19:09 i am so so SO sorry to hear this...... Mihai, your heart must be broken..... if/when you feel like writing about what happened, please know that we are all here for you...................
Thank you so much, Olesia.

I hope to be able to help other people in the future should I notice similar issues with their dogs.

You've been very helpful and I will be forever grateful.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 05 Jul 2022, 10:30

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Kaia. She touched hearts even during her very short time here. Thank you, Jean for following up with updates. We will keep Kaia and those who loved her in our hearts.

Barb

cozminmihai

Post by cozminmihai » 05 Jul 2022, 13:47

Barb wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 10:30 I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Kaia. She touched hearts even during her very short time here. Thank you, Jean for following up with updates. We will keep Kaia and those who loved her in our hearts.

Barb
Thank you so much, Barb!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Jul 2022, 15:53

Mihai,

i am so sorry this happened- -you certainly tried your best to help Kaia.......please know that our hearts go out to you.

We at Epi4Dogs try very hard to educate the public and the veterinarian community especially if they are not familiar with EPI (as some are not since them may not have seen many cases) ..........Lypex or ANY EPI pancreatic replacement enzymes needs to be given with every meal and the right amount needs to be given.
I am guessing if only Kaia was given enough Lypex with every meal.... this could have been avoided..... but unfortunately it sounds like the vet was not familiar with how to properly treat an EPI dog. Also.... too often, some pancreatic replacement enzymes companies give incorrect instructions on the packaging for EPI treatment.

All this to say, if you can or would like to, please feel free to print one of our brochures https://epi4dogs.com/brochures-dogs-and-cats/ and forward it to the vet or print as many as you'd like and just hand them out whenever a needed occasion arises... it might save a future dog whose vet isn't up-to-date on EPI treatment.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

cozminmihai

Post by cozminmihai » 06 Jul 2022, 04:14

Olesia711 wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 15:53 Mihai,

i am so sorry this happened- -you certainly tried your best to help Kaia.......please know that our hearts go out to you.

We at Epi4Dogs try very hard to educate the public and the veterinarian community especially if they are not familiar with EPI (as some are not since them may not have seen many cases) ..........Lypex or ANY EPI pancreatic replacement enzymes needs to be given with every meal and the right amount needs to be given.
I am guessing if only Kaia was given enough Lypex with every meal.... this could have been avoided..... but unfortunately it sounds like the vet was not familiar with how to properly treat an EPI dog. Also.... too often, some pancreatic replacement enzymes companies give incorrect instructions on the packaging for EPI treatment.

All this to say, if you can or would like to, please feel free to print one of our brochures https://epi4dogs.com/brochures-dogs-and-cats/ and forward it to the vet or print as many as you'd like and just hand them out whenever a needed occasion arises... it might save a future dog whose vet isn't up-to-date on EPI treatment.
Hi Olesia,

I agree with you 100%, Kaia was not diagnosed correctly for a few months and when it was, they prescribed 2 Lypex per day(One with each meal). This was clearly insufficient and Kaia was deteriorating weekly.

As she was not in my custody at the time, I did not know all this until late and I provided all information and research to the owner at the time, but it was perhaps too late.

I did print the pdf brochure you sent me and will drop it into the vet today or tomorrow to ensure they will not repeat the same mistake. I will also send it by email to them.

Thank you so much for everything you've done for me and Kaia.

Also big thank you to Jeane in UK and Laura Fox in Ireland who offered their knowledge and enzymes.

You guys are wonderful people, thank you!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 06 Jul 2022, 08:52

However I helped , you are welcome,, I do this because of my commitment to EPI, having had 1 dog and 1 cat with it, and to EPI4DOGS who are my extended family and have been for 12 years some of them very close personal friends, and will be for life, I class Olesia as a very close friend, over many many years, and I wish there could have been a different conclusion, which we discussed, but you can say anything in hindsite

Jeanxxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 06 Jul 2022, 09:52

This is heartbreaking news, I am so very sorry 💔💔💔 When I saw your post on the GSD board, I was hopeful we could get her stable, she was a beautiful girl 😥

R.I.P. Kaia
RIPLove.jpg
RIPLove.jpg (77.58 KiB) Viewed 804 times

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Jul 2022, 10:23

Michaela.... oh my, that picture and saying summed it all up........ thank you for posting!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........