Slippery elm not cuttin' it

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kimchi
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Merle

Re: Slippery elm not cuttin' it

Post by Kimchi » 06 Jul 2022, 19:36

Tuckaboo Pam wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 19:05 Here's the dosage chart. They say with slippery elm less is more, but then not messing with success is also a good adage to follow. And, yes, you are supposed to give it a couple of weeks and see if you get relief.

(If it's too much of an issue, you can go ahead ask your vet for a prescription of Tylan. You would need enough for about 50-60 days, to include 45 days of therapeutic dosing & several days of slow weaning off it. Some dogs take it permanently. Tucker takes 1/16 teaspoon every day, forever.) He takes Tylan & slippery elm --- Tylan in the morning, slippery elm at dinner. Nobody suggested this, but it's this kind of tweaking we all have to do, to get it right for our own dogs.

slippery elm dosing---

1/8 tsp for dogs under 10lbs,
¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lbs,
½ tsp for dogs 30lbs to 80lbs,
3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs,
1 tsp for dog 100/+lbs.

Tucker(80 pounds) takes two capsules, NOW brand, which contain a total of 800 mg. Be careful to figure out the exact measurement of the scoop you are using. Just fill the scoop with salt & dump it into a kitchen measuring spoon to do this.

If you can, then do ask your vet to test for B12. Tucker's was at 666, which is good, but I supplement him anyway, just to be safe. If they don't need it, they just tinkle it out. If it's a burden to get the test, it's fine to go ahead & give the brand I mentioned before.

Did you post the TLI results on another thread? If not, can you please do that? --- Pam
I order some b12 pills to start giving! (the doc didn't test for it :( )

And I've saved the sports dog food to order!

Fingers crossed, huh? But I'll keep up with the slippery elm for now!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Jul 2022, 11:57

Hi.... hope some of the suggestions help!
Just a clarification.... if slippery elm is going to work, you will see results almost immediately... or at the very most within 3 days..... BUT always be careful not to use too much cause too much can also cause loose stools.

Yes, this website can be overwhelming because it has so much information on it.... HOWEVER.... once you get the hang of dealing with EPI the website is a great resource for any imaginable issue with EPI :)

.... in the meantime.... please see this one-pager summation of EPI... it briefly goes over everything in a nutshell without overwhelming. See attached
Attachments
EFFECTIVE EPI MANAGEMENT-revised 10-21-2020.pdf
(294.84 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kimchi
Pet name: Merle

Post by Kimchi » 07 Jul 2022, 17:29

Olesia711 wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 11:57 Hi.... hope some of the suggestions help!
Just a clarification.... if slippery elm is going to work, you will see results almost immediately... or at the very most within 3 days..... BUT always be careful not to use too much cause too much can also cause loose stools.

Yes, this website can be overwhelming because it has so much information on it.... HOWEVER.... once you get the hang of dealing with EPI the website is a great resource for any imaginable issue with EPI :)

.... in the meantime.... please see this one-pager summation of EPI... it briefly goes over everything in a nutshell without overwhelming. See attached
Ah boy... I suppose this slippery elm isn't doing the trick then. There are waaaayyy to many variable to tweak 😭

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Jul 2022, 18:08

yea... if you don't notice something in just a few days.... then it is not going to help. BUt do keep it on hand... as it may be needed in the future........and/or you can use it too!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 08 Jul 2022, 16:43

This is an old fashioned thing, but have you tried R7-KP?
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 08 Jul 2022, 20:29

Kim, I've been at this for 3 1/2 years, and I've just learned that slippery elm shows fast results, if it's going to work. I guess it just never registered before. Good to know.

But, yes, do hold onto the slippery elm. Sometime last year, Tuck's SID flared, and none of the old tricks were working. Someone asked a question that made me try a fresh new tweak(pinch of tylan in the morning, two slippery elm capsules in the evening), and it seems I stumbled across the magic combination. It's been working for months, but at any moment things might change, and I'll have to start making small changes again. Every dog is different, but starting with the basics is a good idea.

For now, if you feed the right food (kibble+enzymes+liquid, wait 20 minutes before feeding), B12 , & hopefully Tylan, you may see some good results before you have to do any more tweaking. It seems like a lot at first, but if I can do it, you can, too. Take care---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 09 Jul 2022, 10:37

Hi Kim. Yes, when Kolby was with us, I just assumed that Slippery Elm would help and was shocked when it didn't. I thought I was doing something wrong, but when I found out that it doesn't work for all dogs, I was disappointed, but at least I could stop feeling guilty.

Barb