Housebroken???

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Housebroken???

Post by Montgomery » 20 Jul 2022, 11:53

Montgomery is ten years young. For the first time in his entire life, he slept without a training pad last night! He hasn't wet the bed in weeks, so last night we did away with the pad and let him sleep on his receiving blankets. Got up in the night and checked on him and he was soooo comfortable. This morning, he was a little dry guy, and he had visited the litter box in the night (he doesn't know he's supposed to bury it). So, fingers crossed that he is finally housebroken. Needless to say, it's been a huge goal with us.
Also, just out of curiosity, is there anywhere on this site that gives a history of EPI? I've only been able to find one article referencing a dog from the 1890's, and nothing else. I would be interested to know when it was first successfully treated and how. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Housebroken???

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Jul 2022, 21:13

Hi V,

Congrats on MOntgomery sleeping "dryly" thru the night. that must be a HUGE relief and a great feeling of accomplishment for you... 10 years... wow.... that is a very long LONG time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES... i have a collection of papers copied from a veterinarian journal years ago that i had grand visions of uploading onto the website. Needles to say, the task was a wee bit overwhelming so i never got around to doing it.

BuT if you want to learn about the history of EPI.. it started with dogs back in 1856....
look up Claude Bernard... he worked with the pancreatic juices in dogs and the "substances" that digested fat. Some of his experiments were pretty gross he destroyed the pancreas in 7 dogs (only 1 survived) and then injected mutton fat into the pancreatic duct of the survivor. Once the dog recovered from the surgery, he had a voracious appetite, passed undigested food and the stools were clay like, greasy and foul smelling stools.....

hmmmmmmmmmmm sound familiar????... ...

Next look up M. Abelman who worked under Oskar Minkowski back in 1890 and he demonstrated that pancreatic secretion was necessary for protein and fat absorption..... at this time no one realized that any pancreatic juices were necessary to also digest carbohydrates... that came almost a century later by a man named Lagerlof....

This was the beginning of the identification of EPI !

But the wild thing is that a mere 12 years AFTER Bernard's mutton trial... in 1868 ...a man named Fles was the first that was documented to give pancreatic substances/extracts to patients and decreased the "loose" stools that these patients struggled with. These pancreatic extracts were a slurry of ground raw pancreas treated with tannic acid. A year later, 1869 Langdon Down, treated a patient with "pankreatin" the first version of what we today call "CREON" and also achieved similar results.

So... look up Claude Bernard / Pancreas and also look up the history of CREON or Pankreon..... it is really fascinating!!!!!!!

Eugene P. DiMagno also wrote a lot about these early beginnings of Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency.

Hope this bodes fun reading for you :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 21 Jul 2022, 00:52

He he doesn't collect gas in his small intestine anymore, which used to cause him to strain to pass it, and then he'd urinate. He also goes to the bathroom like a normal cat now, with no difficulty passing stool. His brain and his digestive system finally seem to be on speaking terms. He wakes up BEFORE he goes now, not after.
Thank you for all the information! I've got much reading ahead!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jul 2022, 10:25

Well that must be a huge relief for you .. and Montgomery too!!!!

Happy reading!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 21 Jul 2022, 13:40

I wish I'd had the digital camera when Montgomery was small, but I still had my old Cannon and rolls of film. For awhile, I was so afraid to take pictures of him, too, because it can jinx a sick kitten. Now I wish I'd documented him better. He's a new man now. You wouldn't believe it. I wish I could tape record the purr and share it with you all.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 23 Jul 2022, 18:11

Wow! Montgomery's story is amazing. After all these years, things finally turned around. It gives a whole new meaning to perseverance and patience. Congratulations!

Barb

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 24 Jul 2022, 00:51

Thank you! He never really got to be a kitten, so now he's being a kitten, running, climbing, playing like crazy. The only thing I don't like is that he thinks it's funny to flying tackle Flapjack and knock him over. Falpie, epileptic and on a lot of medication, never sees it coming and always winds up on his back. I wish he would do that with Thobias instead. He would play!