any experience/advice mixing powdered enzymes with raw food?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jm4706
State: California
Pet name: Milo
My name: Jennifer

any experience/advice mixing powdered enzymes with raw food?

Post by jm4706 » 28 Jul 2022, 20:10

hello,

I am experimenting with supplementing my EPI Milo's diet with raw food (Halshan Premium Raw Food/beef blend) and beef pancreas. He normally eats dry kibble ground up in a blender, mixed with Enzyme Diane enzymes (8x), incubated for 30 minutes. But lately he's had some other health issues (bronchial infection) and he hasn't been eating his kibble/enzyme mush -- so I decided to try something new. With vet support and antibiotics, he has actually been eating everything again, but he has been really excited about the raw beef blend and beef pancreas. Procuring beef pancreas is a little tricky -- but THANK YOU Olesia for your tip about greentripe.com, I am going to order from them, they have been very supportive.

As I am waiting for pancreas shipment, I also realized -- why not try to use the Enzyme Diane powdered enzymes that I have, with the raw beef blend.

Does anyone here have any tips on trying mixing powdered enzymes with raw food?

Thank you!!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: any experience/advice mixing powdered enzymes with raw food?

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Jul 2022, 20:52

Hi Jennifer, I have never fed a raw diet. I might think that since it has moisture like canned food you might use 3/4 teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup raw food. Then incubate normally. This is just a guess. Here is our section on raw:

https://epi4dogs.com/diet-raw-home-prepared-recipes/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Jul 2022, 13:56

Jennifer, in this video Dr. Becker discusses feeding a raw diet to EPI dogs. Perhaps you will find some useful information. --- Pam

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/h ... -dogs.aspx
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Fuzzysmom
State: Texas
Pet name: Fuzzy
My name: Melanie

Post by Fuzzysmom » 29 Jul 2022, 21:50

Fuzzy was raised on prey model raw from weaning. Once he got the EPI chicken thighs, legs, (bone inclusive) became an issue to digest. Always results in soft poops.

He does great on raw blend that contains ground bone, even if it has a small amount of chicken in the blend. I mix his raw with Bil Jac kibble in the same feeding without issue for 5 months now. I'm not sure how extruded kibble would break down in relation to the raw.

I find the hiding of the enzymes to be extremely easy using the raw to mask them. Usually I just put the enzymes in a bit of the raw blend, add a tablespoon or so of water, stir. Let them sit maybe 10 mins then add the rest of the food.

The raw blends are also great on days they don't want to eat, but must. I make small meat balls with enzyme , split up, in the middle of each ball. Let them sit 20 min. and toss them down the gullet.

Fuzzy would be on only raw but for the fact when he first got the EPI I needed a dog food to get him regulated. Bil Jac was the only one he would willingly eat and that agreed with him. So now he expects the "crackers" as part of his regimen.

Something I've experienced is a need for less powdered enzymes when feeding raw. Fuzzy was having soft poops off and on before I realized the need to actually decrease the enzymes.
Fuzzy is a Boerboel dob 8/29/19 diagnosed by TLI 1/5/22 Ideal weight 175lbs + Still growing so he's fed to lean body condition for growth. After regulation enzyme amt. went from 1 tsp a cup>1 1/2 tsp per meal> NOW 1/2 tsp per meal!

1st meal: 2 cups Inukshuk Marine 25 2 cup raw blend(tripe,organs,beef) 1/2 tsp Pantennex 2 B12,
2nd : 1 cup Inukshuk Marine 25 , 1cup raw 1/2 tsp Pantennex

He is completely off the slippery elm maintenance amt (1/8 tsp)although I keep on hand in case of sibo. 2 Prescript Assist Soil based probiotics every 4 days