Aksel - loss of appetite and weight loss

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Patsy

Re: Aksel - loss of appetite and weight loss

Post by Patsy » 04 Aug 2022, 06:09

Sorry if I’ve been confused. I thought the gut health issue would have been addressed initially with the normal antibiotics irrelevant of the poop.
Hydrolysed food is extremely bland . If he won’t eat eat a handful of raw beef , then there is a problem . He could be in pain. Some dogs need to be hand fed , or a raised bowl.
He must be hungry. It will become life threatening, unlike the skin problems (unless they are infected).
As mentioned before, atopica in some dogs, can cause lack of appetite, lethargy and depression.
I would see the vet again now, I hope you get some progress.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.