Feeding Raw Pancreas

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Koda101020
State: Ohio
Pet name: Koda
My name: Mary

Feeding Raw Pancreas

Post by Koda101020 » 03 Aug 2022, 15:02

Hello,
We are just coming up to our year mark with Koda being diagnosed with EPI. We started with Pancreplus and prescription GI food, but it become really expensive and I never found the right dose of Pancreplus to harden his stool.
I have switched to raw pancreas and I am feeding BarkEats Adult Grain-Free Turkey with Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Dog Food (4.0 Cups/Day). I also give him B-12 with dinner and his food has a probiotic in it. His stool starts off solid and darker and by the end of the day it is lighter and softer. He hasn't gained weight in months and his ribs are slightly visible now. I'm not sure if the raw pancreas isn't helping enough or if its his food. He is also very gassy as the night goes on.
I feel like we have been struggling this whole year but aside from his constant hunger and weight he acts like a typical German shepherd puppy. Has anyone had luck with feeding a full raw diet or just the raw pancreas? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Mary

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Feeding Raw Pancreas

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Aug 2022, 15:45

Hi Mary, the gassy part makes me suspect SID/SIBO. Has he been on an antibiotic for it since diagnosis? Like Tylan?
I have not fed raw nor pancreas.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Koda101020
State: Ohio
Pet name: Koda
My name: Mary

Post by Koda101020 » 03 Aug 2022, 21:56

I can’t remember if he was on it when his EPI was first diagnosed but I brought it up to my vet and they just want to switch back to the prescription food and Pancreplus.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 04 Aug 2022, 01:06

A few years ago, our veterinarian suggested that I might look into raw pancreas for Montgomery. I spoke to a local butcher, and he said that the only way to get hold of that would be to go to the slaughterhouse and see. I couldn't fathom doing that; I'd come home with a colony of liberated pigs. We solved his problems another way and he is thriving on Enzyme Diane.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

Post by maya193 » 04 Aug 2022, 11:42

Hi. I utilize a full raw diet and it works beautifully. In fact it's the only diet that Maya can tolerate. As a puppy until about 1 1/2 years of age she struggled with commercial and RX diets. Her trainer suggested the change and it's been really great. I personally use Maximum K-9 (based in NY). Other people have success making their own....just make sure it has the proper vitamins and minerals. I have yet to find a consistent source for raw pancreas, but I'm thinking about changing to that as well.
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 05 Aug 2022, 01:03

Montgomery is on a home-cooked diet, too, and boy, has that made a difference. I like having the ability to tailor it to his needs. I use a completer by Alnutrin. They make these things for dogs, too, for raw or cooked diets.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.