How do your dogs react when eating food with enzymes?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
ed33935

How do your dogs react when eating food with enzymes?

Post by ed33935 » 03 Oct 2018, 12:49

I'm curious how others dogs react when eating food containing enzymes. Do the have any issues afterwords? Do the seem to like how it smells or are they reluctant when eating it?

Trying to judge how my little Lizzie reacts when eating food with the proscribed enzymes.

Thanks in advance.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: How do your dogs react when eating food with enzymes?

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 03 Oct 2018, 12:56

Some dogs really dont like the smell of the enzymes and will refuse to eat the food,we use a lot of tricks if this happens like stinky toppers ,incubatating longer ,flat plates rather than round bowls.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Oct 2018, 16:44

You have been given good advice! I would just add that you an take a wet wash cloth and wipe your pups face off after meals or encourage water after! I used parmesan cheese, tuna water, etc...
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Oct 2018, 18:14

My boy doesn't care what's in the food as long as he has something to eat. If you have any troubles getting your little one to eat, try some of the suggestions Ann suggested and don't give up.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 03 Oct 2018, 18:46

I had a fusspot who hated them. I fed her by hand for at least two weeks, disguising the flavour with canned tuna. Eventually I changed to tasteless capsules available here in the Uk.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Oct 2018, 19:41

my EPI gal is the oddball...... did not have trouble with her eating the enzymed meal and once she got used to eating all her meals with enzymes... if someone gave her a meal without enzymes mixed in- -she would not eat it..... :D
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TankTank

Post by TankTank » 03 Oct 2018, 22:29

I cant believe what and how he eats his food. I call it slop and Tank loves it.
Tank GSD Born jul 22 16, diag EPI 22 months, TLI 06/08/18 b12 181,folate 22 TLI <1, TLI 08/15/18 b12 423 folate 12 TLI <1.0, Acana Lamb 2c 1c 2c mixed with 4 2 4 ounces fresh beef pancreas,liquified and mixed room temp, 6 hours, fortiflana probiotic, monthly b12 8cc, highest weight 93lbs(too chunky)lowest 73, current 82. Hate this disease.

TankTank

Post by TankTank » 03 Oct 2018, 22:29

I cant believe what and how he eats his food. I call it slop and Tank loves it.
Tank GSD Born jul 22 16, diag EPI 22 months, TLI 06/08/18 b12 181,folate 22 TLI <1, TLI 08/15/18 b12 423 folate 12 TLI <1.0, Acana Lamb 2c 1c 2c mixed with 4 2 4 ounces fresh beef pancreas,liquified and mixed room temp, 6 hours, fortiflana probiotic, monthly b12 8cc, highest weight 93lbs(too chunky)lowest 73, current 82. Hate this disease.

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 04 Oct 2018, 06:51

My Dane girl has no issues with the enzymes. When she is healthy and has an appetite she eats what's in the bowl. When she has SID or pancreatitis her appetite is diminished. No issues here.
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

sonjawooden
State: Colorado

Post by sonjawooden » 04 Oct 2018, 11:46

Hello,
I am new to all of this EPI fun (diagnosed 1 month ago). Zoe gobbles up her kibble with the enzymes. I incubate for 45 minutes which I was told is the longest you should let it incubate, most do 20-40 minutes. I do 45 because her gum-line got red initially. After she is done eating she does act like it bothers her a bit. She sometimes coughs/sneezes and sometimes rubs her face into her dog bed. So, I use a spray bottle of water and rinse her mouth out after each meal. And one little trick I do is feed her an ice cube right after wards as well. I figure it can't hurt and maybe it helps clean her mouth as well. I like to put the ice in her bowl of water, because then she dives for it and gets even more water on her snout to rinse the enzymes off as well. But as far as the smell and taste, she seems to love it. I started off using Bio Case brand and switched after it was empty to Enzyme Diane's since they were a bit cheaper. The sneezing and coughing only happened with Enzyme Diane's, but otherwise I didn't notice any difference. Hope that helps. Sonja
My name is Sonja. Zoe is a 3 y/o female German Shepherd. Dx 8/30/18. Weighed 60 pounds at dx and now weighs 66.6 pounds (after 19 days of treatment). Sport Dog Food Whitefish formula 2 cups 2 times a day. Currently using Bio Case enzymes 1 7/8 teaspoon per 2 cups of food 2 times a day, but will be switching to Enzyme Diane's 6x when we run out. Add slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon Slippery Elm to each feeding (2x/day) and 1000 mg of B-12 PetFactor once a day added to dinner.