Bile vomit, b12 or diet?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
maggiebv11
Pet name: Chandler
My name: Maggie

Re: Bile vomit, b12 or diet?

Post by maggiebv11 » 11 Sep 2022, 13:58

Chance wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 22:51
maggiebv11 wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 22:03 Okay this helped so much! I will order those b12 pills! And retest his levels after a bit so see how they are. My vet is moving soon so i will be assigned a new vet at the clinic, so hopefully they will be open to Tylan or other issues i have.
If SID is still an issue, honestly I would increase frequency of the injections before starting the pills. I was doing 2 capsules a day religiously, but he had a setback - which got bad, as my vet refused to give anything but enzymes and probiotic. (Now former vet. After having to fight for 3 days for antibiotics for pneumonia in a dog with a comprised immune system, and now this. I always admired him for not always wanting to resort to pills for every problem. But when it carries over to life threatening conditions, I have a problem)!

He did get quite bad, and despite giving the capsules very religiously, his B12 levels plummeted. I gave him a B12 injection, and the next day he was a completely different dog. It is quite likely the SID that rendered the capsules useless...but I still won't risk it until I know he's fully stable and without antibiotics. (New vet prescribed 3 antibiotics. Right now we're doing good on just one...Tylosin. and a new probiotic).

I stopped the pills and went back to basics...weekly injections for 6 weeks. Not to mention, the injections are a fraction of the cost... especially with the shipping/import charges to Canada!
Ahhh okay this is useful!! Do you give your dog the injections at home yourself?

Thanks for the reply!!
My name is Maggie, we live in east coast canada :)
My dog: Chandler, age 6, black lab retriever mix
Diagnosed with pancreatitis in Oct 2021, then with EPI in March 2022

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Sep 2022, 15:36

Using the shots are cheaper if you can do them at home. Although the pills are not expensive 90 pills for $15

However.... over the course of hundreds of shared B12 tests before and after..... the B12 pills that have the intrinsic factor in them and that use Methylcobalamin B12 vs. the Cyanocobalamin version of B12 appears to work better than the shots (in most cases). However, that being said, we have had maybe 4 reported B12 pills failures where the shots actually did work better, but on the flip side we have had hundreds of these specific B12 pills that surpassed the shots.

SO.... it is really up to you.... which to try :)

At the very least, if going to do the shots, it definitely sounds like the frequency needs to be increased.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Sep 2022, 15:57

I am so sorry to pick but I see where you say this:

" Back in March my vet suspected EPI so did a blood test for folate/b12, and she said it was super low so we did weekly b12 shots"

Did he indeed just do the folate/B12 test?
Did he also do the Tli test to confirm Epi and what was the test result?
Your pup would have to have been food fasted 8-12 hours.

Thanks it will help me to have the Tli results.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Sep 2022, 16:21

Good catch Jill.. looking forward to hearing of the tli test was done....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 11 Sep 2022, 17:44

maggiebv11 wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 09:24 Ahhh okay this is useful!! Do you give your dog the injections at home yourself?

Thanks for the reply!!
I give the injections at home; with the vets knowledge. I buy the B12 vials at Walmart pharmacy, as well as the diabetic needles. That seems to work well for me. He doesn't even flinch or move. I tell him it's time to "shoot a Lab"; and he's happy because he knows a treat is coming (treats with enzymes in). He's never moved a muscle or flinched or anything. Once it's done he gets up to tell me it's treat time 🤣

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Sep 2022, 23:07

that's awesome... i used to do something similar with Izzy with her diabetes when i used to take blood from her to do blood curves... i always rewarded her with a tiny piece of liver every time i poked her, whether or not i got any blood.... and i used to always say... "mommy needs to take your blood!" and she'd coming running and then slide into a sit while i poked her.... it's amazing how you can turn something unpleasant into something pleasant when making game out of it :D

richieadam
State: California
Pet name: Trom

Post by richieadam » 16 Sep 2022, 12:25

maggiebv11 wrote: Hi again! So my dog Chandler has begun taking pig enzymes (pantenex 3/4-1 tsp) with all his meals for the last week now and ive already seen an approvement. However i also switched his diet after all his diarrhea because i assumed his prescribed kibble was the issue (as well as not being on proper enzymes). I weened him on Taste of the Wild pacific stream this week and he was doing SO much better, good poo, no stomach issues as usual, but today he threw up bile (he hasnt done that in a few weeks since he was on his old Hills digestive care I/d low fat kibble.)

Now, i had a vet app the other day and told my vet about wanting to use Tylan and not metro and she didnt believe me that it was a better medicine for him. I even gave her printed sheets from this website and sources but she wasnt convinced and didnt prescribe it to me.... so he stayed on metro this week but i stopped it yesterday because his poos have been fine.

I also asked for his b-12 levels because i read on here it should be in the higher range like 600. She emailed me his levels today and its 295 (he gets 1000mg b12 shots every month) but clearly he needs higher dosage or added supplements, right? I phoned them about it and they said they would get back to me....

So my question is, is his new diet the cause of the bile? I knew i was risking vomit by switching to a higher fat kibble (he had pancreatitis last year and was prescribed low fat food)

Or will the bile keep happening regardless possibly because of too low b12?

I know its really just trial and error with diet and epi, but if anyone has suggestions, id love to know!

Just to add: he wasnt completely eating kibble this week, it was part white rice and chicken due to his diarrhea last week, and he was slowly working up to it being all kibble

Does Chandler have pancreatitis right now or did he test ok in a follow up?