I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Janie
State: Kentucky
Pet name: Zeus
My name: Janie

Re: I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Post by Janie » 17 Sep 2022, 17:16

Olesia, the vet diagnosed Zeus with Pancreatitis in 2018 and last visit in June was sonogram and labs and diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I don't know....Zeus doesn't have IBD symptoms of no appetite. Zeus has lost soooo much weight and has a ravenous appetite. I did find a pet nutritionist in a town close to my home but I think she does raw diet foods. I'm going to call her this week and see what advice she has or if she's educated in EPI, pancreatitis or IBD. I'm just really ignorant to helping Zeus and it seems what seems to finally work is like 1 step forward and 15 back. I took a screenshot of the foods to ask his vet about. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Sep 2022, 20:00

i'd focus on possible IBD..... just because Zeus doesn't have all the symptoms of IBD, doesn't mean that he doesn't have IBD......... also... i can't tell you how many times dogs that display with EPI symptoms end up not having EPI but having IBD. Of course there are also many EPI dogs that also have IBD too.........

Anyway... ask the vet if you could "try" a doggie product of Quercetin & Bromelain ... there is research out that says that even though it has been used for environmental allergies ((skin, itchies).... they are finding that it also may address some food sensitivities... The only thing is dogs cannot process the quercetin unless it is combined with bromelain. won't hurt, might work. But if it does help, it won't be evident over night, but rather will take some time...............

i wish i had some more insight as to what might be going on or what else might help, but i can't think of anything else at the moment............ :(
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Smokey
State: Illinois
Pet name: Smokey

Post by Smokey » 17 Sep 2022, 22:47

Janie wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 17:16 Olesia, the vet diagnosed Zeus with Pancreatitis in 2018 and last visit in June was sonogram and labs and diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I don't know....Zeus doesn't have IBD symptoms of no appetite. Zeus has lost soooo much weight and has a ravenous appetite. I did find a pet nutritionist in a town close to my home but I think she does raw diet foods. I'm going to call her this week and see what advice she has or if she's educated in EPI, pancreatitis or IBD. I'm just really ignorant to helping Zeus and it seems what seems to finally work is like 1 step forward and 15 back. I took a screenshot of the foods to ask his vet about. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.
So obviously I am not a dog but I have IBD/ulcerative colitis. Prednisone is known to make everyone really hungry and thirsty. A good probiotic is also recommended for IBD in humans. It’s also a pain figuring out what causes issues and what doesn’t regarding food - what might be good for one with IBD causes someone else horrible issues. I have seen many suggest going down to 1 protein and 1 carb. That is the best. In humans Turkey and rice is usually suggested. Supplements can cause issues to. Weight loss while still eating usually means there are still ulcers in the GI track which is causing malabsorption. Pancreatitis is also something that can happen in people who have IBD. It’s actually more common then. Has he had a colonoscopy with a biopsy? I know that is the only way to truly know what is going on in there.

Again I know humans and dogs are different but I thought that there maybe some similarities.

Janie

Post by Janie » 18 Sep 2022, 14:24

Thank you for sharing. If your IBD is anything like my dog endures, you definitely have my prayers! I have emailed a different vet and hoping she has some knowledge with Zeus' issues and will be able to help. I also found a nutritionist nearby and have an appointment with her tomorrow. From what you describe, there is a great similarity to humans and dogs with IBD. I haven't thrown in the flag yet and will continue to try and help Zeus....one day at a time... Thank you!

Janie

Post by Janie » 18 Sep 2022, 14:31

Olesia711 wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 20:00 i'd focus on possible IBD..... just because Zeus doesn't have all the symptoms of IBD, doesn't mean that he doesn't have IBD......... also... i can't tell you how many times dogs that display with EPI symptoms end up not having EPI but having IBD. Of course there are also many EPI dogs that also have IBD too.........

Anyway... ask the vet if you could "try" a doggie product of Quercetin & Bromelain ... there is research out that says that even though it has been used for environmental allergies ((skin, itchies).... they are finding that it also may address some food sensitivities... The only thing is dogs cannot process the quercetin unless it is combined with bromelain. won't hurt, might work. But if it does help, it won't be evident over night, but rather will take some time...............

i wish i had some more insight as to what might be going on or what else might help, but i can't think of anything else at the moment............ :(
Thank you Olesia. I screenshoted the Quercetin & Bromelain and I'm going to ask. I also have emailed a different vet to see if she has knowledge of IBD, EPI, etc. I know I don't explain things very well, so I'm certain it makes it difficult to understand what I'm describing that's going on with Zeus. Thanks for your help!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Sep 2022, 15:08

it really is one day... and trying one thig at a time..... and BOTH IBD and EPI takes a lot of patience........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Smokey
State: Illinois
Pet name: Smokey

Post by Smokey » 19 Sep 2022, 11:57

Janie wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 14:24 Thank you for sharing. If your IBD is anything like my dog endures, you definitely have my prayers! I have emailed a different vet and hoping she has some knowledge with Zeus' issues and will be able to help. I also found a nutritionist nearby and have an appointment with her tomorrow. From what you describe, there is a great similarity to humans and dogs with IBD. I haven't thrown in the flag yet and will continue to try and help Zeus....one day at a time... Thank you!
Luckily they have much better meds than prednisone for people. Currently mine is well controlled. I hope you can get answers because it’s not fun when it’s not under control. It takes a while to figure out the mixture of food and meds that work