Flare up

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
REGIFLOR
Pet name: Hannah
My name: Regina

Flare up

Post by REGIFLOR » 21 Sep 2022, 00:12

Hi everyone,
… again, I’m so thankful to have this resource and support my Hannah… she had been doing really well (since diagnosing her in February and keeping things under control) but she seems to be having a flareup so I had her back on Tylosin antibiotic - however I had to travel for work and leave her in good hands but unfortunately the kind soul taking care of her mistakenly only gave her one tylosin pill a day instead of two, so her stool is very soft and yellow again and her flatulence is very stinky…
*so I’m wondering if I can continue the 45 day cycle and bump it back up to the required two pills a day and still hope for good results or if you think I should go longer than the 45 days to try to ensure she can have a better chance of staying well longer?*
obviously I’ll continue to monitor her gurgling tummy, her softer larger volume poos, and her stinky farts to see if there is improvement as signals of keeping the SID at bay… thoughts?

This also happened to coincide with what may seemingly be a seasonal environmental allergy where she loses almost all her fur around her neck and is itching and scratching like crazy so she is also on Apoquel and Benadryl : (

This is my beautiful rescue from the dog meat trade in South Korea who clearly has some internal issues in addition to her generational trauma and poor immune system… (strangely her brother from the same litter has no health issues)

But she is a sweetheart and a lover of life and I’m determined to keep her well… thanks to all of your advice

Thank you
Regina and Hannah

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: Flare up

Post by Barb » 21 Sep 2022, 08:36

Hello Regina,

Since Hannah had her dosage of tylan interrupted, I think you can do both. I would increase her dose to what she was getting before and extend her dose another 45 days and see how her poops are. If you keep a log/journal of everything you give her every day, the amounts and the resulting poos, you will be able to see how the increase is working and if her symptoms of SID begin to decrease.

Let us know how she does.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Sep 2022, 19:59

i second what Barb suggested..... increase the Tylan dose to what she should be on and extend for another 45 days (a repeat of 45 day happens often) so this should not be a problem.

And DO keep a journal and record everything as that will really help you with the progress or lack thereof..............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 21 Sep 2022, 21:06

My cat Morgenne would pull the hair out of the top of her head seasonally, and something that really helped was giving her twice weekly baths in chlorhexadine shampoo. You can use it on dogs too.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Sep 2022, 09:27

my vet also recommended chlorhexadine solution to wipe my dog's paws .... Lulu had severe storage mite allergies and it helped.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........