Converted a Vet today

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Magchick
State: North Carolina

Converted a Vet today

Post by Magchick » 12 Feb 2021, 20:15

Our backstory is I have an 18 month old German shepherd female who started dropping weight the second week of January. She went from a lean 62 lbs to a skeletal 50 lbs. Frequent runny poo, large volume and very airy/fluffy. I joined this helpful forum around December of 2018 for my make shepherd who started having similar symptoms except he didn't drop the weight like she has. Had him tested for Epi and the results showed he was negative. Treated him with Tylan, proviable and Slippery Elm, we think he had a case of SID. He is doing great now thanks to the info provided by all of you.

We took our girl to the vet two weeks ago to try and get a diagnosis, our vet recommended the typical Metro, I asked about using Tylan instead and he was open to me sharing my reasons and after a pleasant conversation he agreed to write a script for Tylan. He asked if I would send him a link to the study and I did.

We had a follow-up today to see if the Tylan had any effect, since it hasn't he suggested we try a little bit larger dose while we wait for the tests to come back. He thanked me for sending him the info and said that he has spoken with the other vets in the practice and they have agreed to start using Tylan for first line treatment of future chronic diarrhea cases.

I have started her on 6x enzymes from Diane with approval from Dr Brad while we wait for results.

Thanks for reading all of this and for providing a great resource

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Converted a Vet today

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Feb 2021, 23:10

WOW !!!! And thank YOU!!!!! for forwarding the research that we have on this site to your vet. That makes me personally very very happy!

I know we do our best to help other EPI care-givers give their EPI companions the best possible "individualized" treatment by following and sharing TAMU's gastro lab EPI protocol.... ... but we also work closely with various veterinarian schools and researchers and we try to upload the most recent relevant research possible onto this site to help not only pet owners but vets too.... and you helped us do that!! Thank you SOOOOoooo much!

And please thank Dr. Brad for taking the initiative and reading the research about why we are encouraging folks to ask their vets not to use Metronidazole for chronic gastrointestinal issues...... :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 13 Feb 2021, 10:24

Whoot Whoot!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing our website and research with your veterinarian and I'm so glad he was open and willing to learn/try - those are the BEST vets :) Even if your dog does not have EPI, if you'd like to give us the name of the practice and location we can add it to our list of recommended veterinarians.

Keep us posted when you get the test results.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Magchick

Post by Magchick » 13 Feb 2021, 12:35

Rabun Animal Hospital
Mountain City GA
706-746-5100

Dr Brad

Thanks for the support and I'll post her results when we get them.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Feb 2021, 07:54

I'd just like to say, this is what it's all about. Awesome.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Feb 2021, 10:27

Thanks for posting the address - we'll get it added to our list :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

salvinofeelings
Pet name: RICK

Post by salvinofeelings » 05 Oct 2022, 10:30

Your dog's story makes you think that even animals in excellent living conditions can experience these health problems. I feel sorry for your dog. I hope Tylan helped her recover and get rid of all the horrible symptoms. Has your dog gained weight yet? I'm not a professional veterinarian, so I don't know your dog's diagnosis. But I'm very sympathetic to all dog owners whose pets are suffering like this. I've been working as a veterinary assistant as of late! I'm glad I have access to this job despite my lack of training as a veterinarian. Thanks to an article on https://www.veterinaryschoolsu.com/, I found myself in this occupation. I adore animals. I have two Dobermans.

KarenC
State: Florida
Pet name: Luke
My name: Karen

Post by KarenC » 05 Oct 2022, 12:22

That is awesome. And it is awesome that your vet was open to what you had to say. That's a good vet, I think! It is why I love my vet. And it was my vet who directed me to this website as well. I think it's important for clients and their vets to have a good rapport to be able to exchange ideas, etc.

I hope your doggy gets a solution and to feeling better soon!
Luke, Basenji/Shepard/Spaniel/Collie mix. DX-Diabetes 5/2021, DX-EPI & Cushings 9/2022, DX-Hypothyroid 10/22