Need help

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kzh

Need help

Post by Kzh » 03 Oct 2018, 09:26

Hi
Thanks for the add. I have a 9 month old who I had since he was 4 months. And from day 1 I have been dealing with diarrhea and a pup who is all skin and bones no matter how much he ate. I have changed kibble, he ll do well for a week or two than its back to loose stools. Took an allergy test and we found that he is allergic to all protein except chicken, rabbit, deer and salmon. So I got him a grain free salmon and potatoes. We did fine for 2 weeks than diarrhea really bad with blood.
Now we think it is EPI so we started on Creon 10000. We have been on it for 3 days and I am feeding Brit care grain free for juniors. My question is I am trying to feed 3 times a day, how much Creon can I give with each meal?

Sorry for the long post but I am so worried about him. Another thing every time I took his blood profile it came normal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Re: Need help

Post by Paige's Guardian » 04 Oct 2018, 06:58

Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Oct 2018, 12:34

First since you are having issues with the proteins except for "chicken, rabbit, deer and salmon. So I got him a grain free salmon and potatoes. We did fine for 2 weeks than diarrhea really bad with blood. " ... my strong suggestion is to skip trying one food after another, that may become expensive, limiting and cause your pup to get sick, like this last time..... dealing with food sensitivities/allergies is enough to drive anyone crazy no matter what you try.

SO..... my personal suggestion would be to
#1 talk to your vet about trying a true HYDROLYZED food, and i would try Royal Canin "Ultamino" first before trying the others simply because it appears that the Ultamino food seems to work better with most of our dogs- -however no guarantees.... just overall the batting average with our EPI dogs seems to better with most on this food..........not all but most

#2 regarding the CREON dosing:
(a) start with 10,000 or 12,000 CREON. open, sprinkle the capsule on the food, serve immediately.... watch the reaction for 3-5 days..... if this doesn't work then
(b) give 10,000 or 12,000 CREON whole capsule about 3-5 minutes prior to serving the meal....watch the reaction for 3-5 days..... if this doesn't work then
(c) if still not great..... from your observations decide which technique appear to have the most positive reaction but just not 100% in and increase the CREON dose by another 1/2 capsule.....
(d) if the 1+1/2 capsule improved things but still not perfect (with whichever technique you honed in on) THEN increase the dose to 2 CREON capsules.

Many of our EPI pups do fine on 10,000 or 12,000 CREON.... HOWEVER.... some don't respond well no matter what technique you use until the dose is increased (depends on the individual dog) and many often end up taking the CREON 25,000 dose.... BUT... the only way to know what your dog really needs is to try the CREON in step-by-step increments starting at the 10, 000 or 12,000 dose.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kzh

Post by Kzh » 05 Oct 2018, 14:31

Hi Ollesi. Thankyou for responding to my post and all the info you gave me. My head is spinning with all this stuff and I feel so sad and helpless when I see my beautiful pup in such condition.
Monday I started giving him Creon 10. I am giving it to him whole, 5 minutes before each meal. His poo was better. Than today he made a pudding like poop.😔. I feed him 3 times a day. Is it OK if I give him a capsule of Creon before each meal every time? Would I be overdosing him if I give 3 capsules a day??? And if yes is it OK if I increase?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Oct 2018, 16:37

YES!!!! He is supposed to have enzymes (CREON in your case) with every single meal . No, you will not overdose him as long as you give him food with the enzymes.
as you are supposed to with every single meal / and no snacks or cheating with treats in-between.

If the poos after maybe 3 days are almost normal but still not quite... then increase the CREON dose by half a pill. (just open the capsule split the contents into 2 piles (don't worry if each pile of pellets is not exact) and give 1+1/2 capsule and then assess if that is the magic amount.

keep us posted :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kzh

Post by Kzh » 06 Oct 2018, 00:47

Olesia, thankyou do much. I will start doing that. And I will let you know❤️.

Kzh

Post by Kzh » 06 Oct 2018, 00:49

Olesia another thing. I read that Creon is pork bases. My dog is allergic to pork. Would that cause a problem?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 06 Oct 2018, 04:55

your question about porcine enzymes has fascinated me for years

My girl is intollerant of most proteins, including pork, but tollerates enzymes well

totally weird

my advice is to start a journal, and change one thing at a time, leave maybe 3-5 days and record

what about B12 supplement, and does your pup have rumbling tummy noises

jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Kzh

Post by Kzh » 06 Oct 2018, 09:36

Hi Jean. Thankyou for answering my post. No I never gave him B12. Last blood test we took it was OK. That was 2 months ago. At the beginning he had a lot of stomach rumblings, and farting. My vet always said it was stress as I got him from abroad at 4 months old. He doesn't anymore. But he has cow pile stools and diarrhea on and off. I am taking a Epi test on Monday to make sure.
And yes I am making a journal. You guys are great with all the advice you give. 😊

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Oct 2018, 23:44

Ahh... the pork allergy. We have had mutliple people on the forum over the years who's dog had a pork allergy, and like Jean attested to... they were able to take the enteric coated pork enzymes with no problem (CREON is pork enzymes enteric coated) ... and some were even able to take powdered pork enzymes too with no problem.

BUT... every so often we do run into a dog that cannot tolerate the pork enzymes because of a sever pork allergy... in which case we 1st suggest trying beef enzymes (have to use more) and if that doesn't work... THEN we suggest taking an allergy med.... or "try" plant enzymes but then that gets tricky cause usually plant enzymes are not potent enough....

I would continue with the CREON...

the sloppy poos you are seeing now are most likely SID, especially since you had a good poo and now they are back to sloppy.... has your vet prescribed Tylan yet? the stomach rumbling and farting are typical signs of SID...... many times people think the enzymes are not working not when they are, but the problem is SID....... we often try to address SID with alternatives, like Slippery Elm first before we resort to antibiotics.... but with a bunch of allergies.... i don't think i would try an alternative with your pup but rather i would ask the vet to prescribe some Tylan antibiotic.

Also do look into B12... simply because SID munchies away at B12 stores..... so it is like a vicious cycles.... with EPI ...everything is connected.... and B12 not in the upper mid-range can in itself cause loose stools too with EPI..........