EPI & Reflux

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: EPI & Reflux

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Oct 2022, 17:23

Hi Emilie,

I just started a new thread for you and Max.... so he will have his own thread... please visit "Maxwell's EPI & Reflux" :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

KarenC
State: Florida
Pet name: Luke
My name: Karen

Post by KarenC » 09 Nov 2022, 12:07

So I think the sucralfate was probably fine but we ended up stopping it because he was on Doxycycline for his pneumonia and it's not a good match. Though I have read conflicting reports on the absorption factor of the antibiotic with sucralfate.

Anyway, our Vet changed him to omeprezole. Much easier than dealing with the crushing and slurry of sucralfate. I have not seen much indication of reflux behavior so I am hoping this is working fine now and is a resolved issue.
Luke, Basenji/Shepard/Spaniel/Collie mix. DX-Diabetes 5/2021, DX-EPI & Cushings 9/2022, DX-Hypothyroid 10/22

Pialovesyoga
State: California
Pet name: Bali
My name: Pia

Post by Pialovesyoga » 11 Nov 2022, 23:21

Greetings-

Brand new EPI mom here. my 18 mo old German Shepherd ‘Bali’s EPI diagnosis is confirmed yesterday. He lost around 8lbs in 3 months while we were trying to figure out the causes of his weird (fluorescent yellow with mucus) stool and chronic diarrhea.

We have started on enzymes yesterday and pre+probiotics. I was already cooking/preparing his food at home, but now we are also on raw food diet. I’ll be starting B12 protocol and Tylan as soon as I receive them (we ordered them today, as the vet didn’t have tylan, and I want to administer the B12 shots myself. So our vet taught me how to do it). Slippery elm (both powder and tincture form) has already been in the medicine cabinet since it has helped a lot with his diarrhea preEPI diagnosis. It seems we are almost ready for the journey.

My question is how would I know if and when he has reflux due to enzymes? What are the signs? He burps every now and then after meals, but nothing too dramatic.
Thank you.

emilier
State: Delaware
Pet name: Maxwell
My name: Emilie

Post by emilier » 12 Nov 2022, 15:59

Hello, Maxwell has wet burps but he also vomits water/liquid (no food). It occurs most when he drinks water and then runs around playing or gets up too fast and jumps off the sofa. We've tried now pepcid AC (10mg morning & night) and slippery elm but it still is happening. :( I am thinking now to make a vet appointment...
Maxwell is a 5 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Diagnosed with EPI January 2022 at 4 years old.
Food: Currently Merrick Healthy Grains Salmon Kibble. 1/4 tsp enzyme incubated with food morning/evening. One B12 pill with evening meal. Current weight almost 30lbs, lowest weight was ~19lbs. Good poops now but experiencing acid reflux. Forever our best baby boy <3

KarenC
State: Florida
Pet name: Luke
My name: Karen

Post by KarenC » 12 Nov 2022, 17:16

Pialovesyoga wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 23:21 Greetings-

Brand new EPI mom here. my 18 mo old German Shepherd ‘Bali’s EPI diagnosis is confirmed yesterday. He lost around 8lbs in 3 months while we were trying to figure out the causes of his weird (fluorescent yellow with mucus) stool and chronic diarrhea.

We have started on enzymes yesterday and pre+probiotics. I was already cooking/preparing his food at home, but now we are also on raw food diet. I’ll be starting B12 protocol and Tylan as soon as I receive them (we ordered them today, as the vet didn’t have tylan, and I want to administer the B12 shots myself. So our vet taught me how to do it). Slippery elm (both powder and tincture form) has already been in the medicine cabinet since it has helped a lot with his diarrhea preEPI diagnosis. It seems we are almost ready for the journey.

My question is how would I know if and when he has reflux due to enzymes? What are the signs? He burps every now and then after meals, but nothing too dramatic.
Thank you.
With Luke we could sometimes catch him when it looks like something comes up in their throat/mouth and they do the lick action of something tasting awful. Much like you would see a human do.

Sounds like you are on a great start for Bali though!
Luke, Basenji/Shepard/Spaniel/Collie mix. DX-Diabetes 5/2021, DX-EPI & Cushings 9/2022, DX-Hypothyroid 10/22

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Nov 2022, 20:06

my new dog was vomiting up water when he drank too much after we come in from playing.... so i now let him have a little water when he comes back in from exercise, but then i tell him "ENOUGH!" and he stops.... most of the time.... but sometimes he doesn't so i go and take the bowl away from him for 20-30 minutes and then, i put the bowl back down and let him drink more.

SInce doing this, we have not had any more water-barfing...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........