Dehydrated treats

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
HanL
Pet name: Alfie

Dehydrated treats

Post by HanL » 19 Nov 2022, 09:03

Hiya, I've read the treats page but I'm still unclear as to how to correctly make dehydrated enzymes treats. I want to make some 2% turkey mince little enzymes treats, like small dog sized little morsels. Can anyone give me instructions about the temperature and how long to dehydrate them for? I've never used a deydrator so have no idea!!! Mine goes from 35-70c. Thanks in advance!!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Dehydrated treats

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2022, 10:35

ahhhh... i can help.

According to Dr. Edward Howell He studied enzymes: FYI, if interested in who he is feel free to read : https://www.realrawfood.com/sites/defau ... well_1.pdf

Anyway... he gives varying temps.... the one that is recommended to use with a dehydrator and yet preserve the natural enzymes in food is to set the dehydrator at less than 140 degrees Fahrenheit or less than 60 degrees Celsius.

However.... that being said..... with the powdered enzymes we use, we have been informed via enzyme mfg... not to use heat on the pancreatic enzymes above 130 degrees Fahrenheit or 54 degrees Celsius.

SO.... you can make your turkey mince treats, include the powdered enzymes, set your dehydrator for less than 54c and dehydrate for as long as you need to get the desired texture. I would suspect that the thinner/flatter that you make these treats the less time it will take to thoroughly dehydrate.

Depending on what i use my dehydrator for... sometimes i have to run the dehydrator for a couple of days before whatever i am dehydrating is "done"

I hope this helps!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

HanL

Post by HanL » 19 Nov 2022, 10:52

Fabulous thank you!! X

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2022, 11:08

you are very welcome!

Let us know how the treats come out :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 19 Nov 2022, 11:50

Hope this works! If so, it's a picture of my latest batch incubating before dehydration. My boy cannot tolerate anything without enzymes

I add slightly more enzymes than I would if I were to feed this amount as a meal...just incase of "dead loss". Not a lot extra, just a bit

I set the dehydrator between 130 to 135. It takes about 24 hrs. This is extra lean ground turkey. Fat does not dehydrate well, so as lean as you can make it

1st pic: the end result. 2nd pic: enzymes incubating before going in.
Attachments
20220410_222334.jpg
20220410_222334.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 492 times
20220929_143114.jpg
20220929_143114.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 492 times

Chance

Post by Chance » 19 Nov 2022, 11:53

Not pretty looking (above), but I am told they are yummy. I don't own a jerky gun; but I believe that would be a much easier process with one! And might look better. But Chance doesn't care! And because it's got enzymes, it's about the only treats he can tolerate.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2022, 11:56

looks really good to me and thanks for the pictures.... very helpful... just one suggestion.... don't go higher than 130 degrees Fahrenheit.....

Chance

Post by Chance » 19 Nov 2022, 12:11

Olesia711 wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 11:56 looks really good to me and thanks for the pictures.... very helpful... just one suggestion.... don't go higher than 130 degrees Fahrenheit.....
Good point. I typically start at 135 due to the moisture in the meat. Then I drop it down to 130. (I haven't done it often, but after reading an article on here that newer research shows enzymes can sometimes tolerate Temps of up to 140; I did start at 140 for 30 to 45 minutes, before dropping to 130). He's tolerated every batch I have made, even when feeding a fair amount! And he cannot tolerate any treats without enzymes.

I'd hoped he might tolerate treats by now! Would make life a lot easier, and cheaper 😁

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2022, 12:21

Oh okay...now i understand....... the higher temp at the beginning to deplete the water... is definitively okay to do... but be careful and try that only for about 15 -20 minutes.....(the initial high temp)

HanL

Post by HanL » 19 Nov 2022, 13:11

Thanks Chance! These look great. So do you put them in on the baking paper? Was wondering how to stop the uncooked stuff falling through the cracks! Mine are currently looking very droopy ha ha!!
I decided to cook my turkey in advance at high heat to avoid any bacteria contamination. Then I've pulverised with some water and mixed in the enzymes, then added them to the dehydrator. I let you know how they come out! I've got mine on at 40c so reckon they're going to take an age. I've definitely added a bit too much water this time!