Newly diagnosed questions

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Re: Newly diagnosed questions

Post by Chance » 20 Nov 2022, 13:50

aambs17 wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 06:18 Hi Jill! The brand is called Cobalequin, and she takes one chew a day.
IMHO, oral B12 supplements do not always work with EPI dogs. If you go the oral route, be sure to get the levels rechecked after a while, just to be sure.

I was giving Wonderlabs, Pet Factor B12 very religiously (after 6 weekly injections). It's what is recommended by so many with EPI dogs. It was doing nothing, and my dog got so week he went from walking a mile or more easily; to getting up to pee would take all the strength he had. Vet mentioned B12 levels; but I argued it couldn't be. I showed the supplement he was on.

One very expensive vet bill later, I learned the hard way...oral supplements are not always absorbed. We went back to injections. The next day, after that first injection, he woke up and started running around the house with my shoe in his mouth! He was so happy to be feeling better. I learned that mine is not the only one. So please check levels to make sure it's working, before it becomes a serious problem.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Nov 2022, 14:31

sorry to hear that Chance did not respond well to the oral B12 pills..... usually the opposite happens, HOWEVER... over the years there has been a very small handful of dogs that did not respond to any oral B12 and had to do the shots.

If i had to guess i'd say about 5% of EPI dogs do not respond to oral B12.... but there is a greater percentage of EPI dogs that actually do better on the oral pills vs. the B12 shots...... kind of interesting.....although we have no idea why.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 20 Nov 2022, 15:49

Leave it to Chance to want to be different! My vet had said Charlie wanted to write his own textbook when it came to Addison's disease. I guess Chance wants to write his own EPI book 😏

At first I was disappointed that the capsules were useless. But now it's better. The injections are a LOT cheaper!

But to me it kinda makes sense that pills could be problematic. EPI is not really fully understood. Not completely. They obviously know it's an enzyme thing, and what part of the pancreas is affected. They know that digestion is greatly affected - and enzyme therapy (while great) - is not the same as having a functional pancreas. (If it was, Chance would still be eating large chunks of meat and bone).

In other words, digestion is still a factor. I understand that intrinsic factor is believed to be the key component to EPI dogs absorbing certain vitamins. But we know digestion is never going to be perfect. So I can understand how it might not be absorbing properly. But with injections, you're completely bypassing the faulty digestive tract. Thus absorption would have to be better. (In my way of thinking) 😇

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 20 Nov 2022, 18:23

Hi Allie, and welcome!

I'd like to add that if there's any way you could take that 1 1/2 cups of food & split it into 3 or 4 meals, that would be better. Give the appropriate amount of enzymes for each amount.

This is especially good to do in the beginning.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

nagema
State: California
Pet name: da
My name: carlhammond

Post by nagema » 06 Dec 2022, 22:47

It is true that you would crush the tablets, add them to the food along with a little water that is room temperature, mix it up, and then wait 15 to 20 minutessnow rider 3dBefore serving, stir. I would advise crushing 3 tabs and combining them with the food and water. I would start with 2 crushed tablets plus 1 for the bowl.