Possible Colitis in EPI dog ?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
lexithornton2
State: Illinois
Pet name: Cleo
My name: Lexi

Possible Colitis in EPI dog ?

Post by lexithornton2 » 25 Jan 2023, 19:10

Hi EPI family!

My dog Cleo has well-managed EPI with B12 and enzymes from enzyme Diane, thanks to this forum! We recently had an accident where she was fed her food/enzymes without her food being wet and it resulted in a solid 24 hours with the runs, and it's been a battle to get stools to return to baseline. When this initially happened I gave probiotics x7 days which seemed to help with the diarrhea. Now about a month later she still has on-and-off solid vs soft stools (not liquid), with occasional small streaks of bright red blood in the softer stools. I am concerned that the blood is becoming more regular and hasn't gone away yet. She typically goes twice per day.

For anyone who has had an issue like this before - Wondering if I should try a course of Tylan powder? Should I restart probiotics? When is it a good idea to try slippery elm? I also feel like she may be having reflux on occasion (she burps and then starts licking her mouth) and I read that slippery elm can help with that as well. Any diet recommendations to help calm down the GI tract?

I, unfortunately, feel that my vet does not have great experience with EPI dogs and would rather save myself the headache and treat her at home if possible. The good news is that she's not losing weight, eats normally, and is still her crazy normal self.

Thank you!!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Possible Colitis in EPI dog ?

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2023, 19:33

to answer your first question, yes, it is possible that this is colitis, "Now about a month later she still has on-and-off solid vs soft stools (not liquid), with occasional small streaks of bright red blood in the softer stools. I am concerned that the blood is becoming more regular and hasn't gone away yet.". As long as it is bright red blood.....if you ever see dark red blood, bring her to the vet ASAP just in case there is a stomach bleed going on... but with bright red blood, it sounds like some sort of infection.... and the intermittent soft stools kinda also could be from some sort of infection / gut flora imbalance / SID...........

Typically a vet will automatically prescribe metronidazole for Colitis, but knowing what we now know about Metro.... i personally would use the Tylan with an EPI dog to treat Colitis. I actually had a dog with severe colitis..... poor dog had bright red blood shooting from his bum like a faucet........ i gave him Tylan and it took 2 days, but that fixed it. ( i did continue the TYlan for an additional 5 more days)

I know SLippery Elm would/should/could help with acid reflux...... but just a FYI.... lip licking usually indicates an upset tummy..... and if she is also burping with the lip licking..... it sounds like she might have some bad gut flora going on...... so.......... although i am a big proponent of SLippery Elm, in this case, i would start giving Tylan due to the bright red blood you are seeing in the stools. Give it a few days and if you do not see any improvement, then i would take her in to see the vet.

If you do see improvement, but the burping is still going on......then after the course of Tylan is complete, i would try giving slippery elm to see if that abates the burping. If not.... you can then try probiotics and if that doesn't work.. then talk to your vet about trying an acid reflux med.

Actually, after the course of Tylan you probably should start a course of pre+probiotic anyway.... help build back the gut flora....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........