UTI! Ughhhhhh

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

UTI! Ughhhhhh

Post by maya193 » 05 Feb 2023, 11:49

Howdy all! So Maya has a UTI, vet prescribed antibiotics which she started. Is there any way to give her GI system additional support? She is on daily probiotic regimen, etc.....but the mushy poo's have started. Would adding slippery elm help?
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: UTI! Ughhhhhh

Post by jilbert57 » 05 Feb 2023, 12:16

It is worth a try for sure. I usually add a probiotic and that helps.
Hopefully someone else will weigh in.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Feb 2023, 19:33

i agree with Jill, try a probiotic.. but see if you can find one with D-Mannose in it.... supposedly that helps against UTIs in dogs (and people)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 06 Feb 2023, 00:18

If the mushy poop has started as result of antibiotics, then sometimes s. Boulardii is beneficial. It's not killed by antibiotics like other probiotics, and usually does help firm poops. It's often recommended to help reduce side effects of antibiotics.

Probiotics can help, but best given at least 2 hrs after antibiotics; otherwise antibiotics will kill it.

Slippery elm can be useful for improving poop quality, but not always when a side effect of antibiotics. This is best given away from medication or or other supplements, ad it coats the tummy and reduces absorption. So don't give at the same time as antibiotics. (It's not something that is digested, thus does not need enzymes).

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Feb 2023, 11:38

Clarification........ do not automatically assume that all antibiotics kill all bacteria. Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate ) antibiotic is a macrolide antibiotic and DOES NOT kill any bacteria, but rather (in simple terms) stops bacteria from reproducing. Of course, if you take Tylan very long term (like a year.... or so.... it too will eventually eliminate all bacteria too just from stopping reproduction long term...)

This is why they now will use Tylan as an antibiotic and strongly advise NOT to use Metronidazole as Metronidazole does kill all bacteria.... and some may never come back.

Also.... to keep it simple and so nothing is misconstrued..... we always used to say take an antibiotic at least 2 hours away from any probiotic (this is a good rule of thumb).... but with Tylan, you can take Tylan together with probiotics... which makes our lives as the care-giver, a bit easier.

REgarding .. S. Boulardii.... YES!!!! that is usually and excellent strain to have included in a probiotic.. it is called Saccharomyces Boulardii and is actually a yeast probiotic clinically studied for gastrointestinal disorders. Known to work with our EPI dogs struggling with SID. Thanks Andrea for mentioning to check for this particular strain...... good stuff.

REgarding Slippery Elm..... again, Andrea is technically correct in starting that SLippery Elm coats the tummy and can reduce absorption... but with our EPI dogs, the absorption reduction is extremely minimal, not remarkable........ so it is perfectly fine to give Slippery Elm mixed in with an EPI dog's meal as it will not inhibit the activity of the enzymes to any marked degree nor will it inhibit B12 absorption to any marked degree nor will it diminish the effect of Tylan, or most general antibiotics to any marked degree. The absorption inhibition is extremely slight..... HOWEVER............. if you are giving any very specifically measured medicine (above and beyond the typical EPI maintenance meds)..... something like Lysodren for Dogs with Cushings disease, or if you are giving meds for any kind of liver or kidney cancers, etc....... anything that has to be exact.... do not give slippery elm at the same time, but rather wait a couple of hours..............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

Post by maya193 » 06 Feb 2023, 13:13

Thank you all for the information. So very helpful!!! :)
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.