timing of seeing effects of changes: which enzyme

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
TrixEPIMama
State: Texas
Pet name: Trixie

Re: timing of seeing effects of changes: which enzyme

Post by TrixEPIMama » 07 Mar 2023, 13:29

Code: Select all

The shelter told me EPI treatment was really simple- just sprinkle some enzymes on her food and incubate. 
For some of us lucky ones, it is that simple. We've had our ACD-mix Trixie for about 16 months, and the only time she's gotten really out of whack was when she raided a neighbor's holiday garbage. (Ugh.) Then it took weeks to get her back in proper condition. Others here have definitely had a much more difficult time.

FWIW, while Trixie isn't as frantic about food as she was after her long time of starvation, I expect she'll always be food crazy, and I wouldn't be surprised if Flurry is the same.. And being food motivated in training is great! I've found that freeze-dried liver bites work very well and don't upset Trixie's innards.

Her poops still go up and down the scale a bit, usually about 2.5, but sometimes higher or lower. As long as she's not coming close to producing those yellow "cow patties" that you can smell a mile a way, I'd continue trying to get her poops where you want them to be on the scale, but I wouldn't obsess over slight variations or about poop that's softer at the end than the beginning.

Sounds as if the shelter staff should have been more forthcoming with you about Flurry's behaviors, but you also seem to be doing an extraordinary job. And kudos to you for not only taking on and sticking with an EPI dog, but one who's unsociable, too.

Others here have given you great advice, and you yourself seem to be right on top of things. I'm still just learning, myself. But seems you're doing very well on all counts.
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.

Trish
State: Massachusetts
Pet name: Flurry
My name: Snapperblue

Post by Trish » 09 Mar 2023, 10:19

To TrixEPIMama- Thanks for the calming words!! Flurry seems to be setttling down with stool between 2 and 3. I won't worry about the occasional yellow parts.

Since I am new to this, hearing her history is really helpful. It's nice to know there are some EPI dogs on the easier end of the scale.

And for the suggestion on treats- hauling a bowl of mushy food around was a real mess. Also, Flurry could tell whether I had food with me, so normal treats that I can carry regularly will be a big help.

I was distracted by your dog being an ACD cross. I had a great dog in Montana, Badger, who looked exacly like a blue heeler (black mask but otherwise "blue," mix of black and white hair,) except for long hair, tipped ears, and a short tail. She was probably an Aussie crosss. My heart gives a lurch when I see an ACD, despite her being gone for 10 years. Luckily, she was incredibly healthy!

Pat

TrixEPIMama
State: Texas
Pet name: Trixie

Post by TrixEPIMama » 15 Mar 2023, 11:35

You're very welcome, Pat. I'm glad this EPI n00b could be of a little help.

I love ACDs and Aussies. In the past I've fostered both and adopted several ACD mixes, which were among my all-time favorite dogs. Where I live now they market a designer dog called the Texas Heeler that's a mix of ACD and Aussie. It's not really a breed since the combo doesn't "breed true" and the pups usually end up randomly looking and behaving more like one breed or the other. But what a wonderful mix that is.

I hope you and Flurry keep doing great.
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.