OH NOOOO-Loose stools out of the blue

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

OH NOOOO-Loose stools out of the blue

Post by Kohlesmomma » 28 Mar 2023, 06:46

Good day everyone. Looking for some direction here. Kohle has been an epi dude since 2018.
Along the way he has done really well with minimal set-backs.
Now out of the blue just gross yellow runny massive poop....yuck! Nothing had changed. But is acting normally otherwise
He is currently on b12 x2 daily
And am using enzyme diane 6x
I have always given the full dose to cup ratio on enzymes, and let it sit 30 min to really saturate the food.
Should I increase the enzymes?
Or go up to 8x ?
Any help would be so appreciated before this goes way south.
Thank you in advance!
Kohle and Kellie

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: OH NOOOO-Loose stools out of the blue

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Mar 2023, 09:23

Hi Kellie! Glad to hear things have been going generally well. As dogs age we find that they might need an increase in enzymes. Also we had an issue where the manufacturer changed a couple key ingredients in the food which caused gastric upset. What food are you feeding? Have you recently started a new bag?
There is no need to change strengths I would try adding a 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon more food and see if it helps. Has the stress level gone up or a routine change?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Kohlesmomma

Post by Kohlesmomma » 28 Mar 2023, 10:13

Thanks for the response. No changes have been made to food or otherwise.
So maybe I will try adding a little enzyme as suggested and see where he's at.
I appreciate the input.
Thank you.
Kellie and Kohle

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 28 Mar 2023, 10:50

Hi Kellie,

I agree with Jill in increasing Kohle's enzymes just a tad for starters and see if it helps. When Kolby was with us, we had some setbacks like this and it was usually SID and we would have to do a round of antibiotics. You probably aren't there yet. Hopefully, the increase in enzymes will take care of it.

Let us know.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Mar 2023, 13:09

Hi Kellie,

Jill (and Barb too) summed it up perfectly! This is most likely a SID flare-up....it has all the markings of SID.
The first thing i would do is exactly what they suggested, just increase the enzymes (start with 1/8 tsp more with each feeding and see if that helps any... if it does, assess if you have to further increase to 1/4 tsp or even to 1/2 tsp more.

Also... call the food company and find out if they changed the formula.... this has happened in the past to many of us and since dog food companies have at least 6 months before they are obligated to disclose a food formula change, we often don't realize that this is what happened and why our dog's stool went yucky again..........

OR..... it could be that Kohle got into something that Kohle shouldn't have....
OR..... the food is bad or going bad (rancid?)
OR.... Kohle picked up some bacterial infection that is minor and will straighten itself out ...or may need an anti in the near future if nothing else works.
OR.... the B12 slipped pretty low

As you can see, the possibilities are long, but start with increased enzymes and keep us posted so that hopefully we can help you navigate this!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kohlesmomma

Post by Kohlesmomma » 28 Mar 2023, 15:53

Thank you so much Barb, Jill, and Olesia. You guys are angels 😇
Selflessly always helping others.
Could b12 slip tho? He's been on the wonderlabs twice daily...wow I wonder now. Does it ever happen where a dog suddenly needs shots when they did so well on the caps all this time?
The food was sport elite, but because it kept being out of stock so often I switched a good while back to totw pacific stream and have not had issues. But while on walks Kohle will snatch scraps off the ground periodically which I try to be very diligent in avoiding...that stinker! He worries me. Ain't nobody got time for that in this crazy world and economy...hahaha.
Thank you all again!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Mar 2023, 20:15

yes, B12 can slip....if he has done very well on the B12 Wonderlab capsules for a long time, then it would be unlikely that it is the B12, However, that being said.... i have learned never to say never with these dogs.

If you rule out everything else, and the loose stools continue... THEN i would run another B12 test to see where the levels are at, just to make sure it is not the B12.

Yea, that Sport food was great.... to bad it became unreliable to continue ordering.... A lot of others had the same issue.
Usually TOTW is quite agreeable with our dogs, but that being said, is no guarantee... however.... if you do think it might be the food ... when you are trying things one at a time to see what the culprit might be.... if you ever get to the point where you want to try a different food.... try Castor & Pollux-Pristine (Beef & Sweet Potato) no peas :), no grain, and only 3.5% fiber :):):) ..

SOunds like one possibility is that you might not have to change anything, but that your sweetie pie might have scarfed up something that he shouldn't have. These sneaky pups can be very quick when doing something they shouldn't..... been there dealt with that myself!!!!!!

Hope this is helpful and i really hope that this is just a temporary glitch that will correct itself so that you won't have to tear your hair out trying to figure out what happened............... :roll: :lol:
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kohlesmomma

Re: UPDATE. OH NOOOO-Loose stools out of the blue

Post by Kohlesmomma » 31 Mar 2023, 09:21

Happy Friday everyone.
I wanted to say that I believe Kohle is back on the right track. I increased his enzymes and the stool is looking waaay better, they are still a little on the soft side, but formed and brown in color...I never knew I would be training in "poop" ology...
So thank you all again!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Mar 2023, 09:50

Kellie, so glad to hear Kohle is on the mend! Yes I have a lot of poop pictures on my phone :lol:

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Mar 2023, 10:52

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear that things are on the med and especially glad that it sounds like you won't have to drive yourself nuts trying to figure out what needs to be changed......
Please continue to keep us posted :)