Possible EPI, Vet Waiting to Test due to Steroids?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Possible EPI, Vet Waiting to Test due to Steroids?

Post by Olesia711 » 21 May 2023, 12:24

Hi Cassidey, well that certainly was NOT a good reaction to the enzymes :( i certainly would not give it to her again..... but the plant enzymes might be an option... to try after she is feeling better and feeling better for a while.

The only thing that i know of that can cause such a reaction to pig enzymes is a pork allergy Although i have been told NOT to give enzymes when there is an "acute" pancreatitis attack going on..... however, with Chronic pancreatitis most often they actually prescribe a small amount of enzymes to help......

There may be something else that would trigger such a severe reaction that i am not aware of..... but i would certainly share this with the vet and ask what he thinks... and/or this may shed some light on what might be going on.

The only way i know to proof this is to feed your little one some pork meat.... however... based on this reaction....it is not something i would do at this time...................i would definitely talk to the vet first.

Definitely keep on top of the vet about what TAMU recommends.... especially about the Fecal transplant... if that might be an option in this case and do keep us psoted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

MamaOfGomo
State: Texas
Pet name: Kagome
My name: Cassidy

Post by MamaOfGomo » 22 May 2023, 14:31

I totally agree on the pork allergy possibility. The hydrolyzed food I switched her to was hydrolyzed PORK so maybe the combination of the two caused havoc. I'm really glad you mentioned that. Yesterday after Fasting her in the morning I went to our local pet store and decided to get a small bag of Zignature Kangaroo kibble since that's something I had researched a while back when we found out she may have food allergies. Her poop this morning was much more firm, actually able to pick it up whole, but not perfect, and a little bit darker. So that has me thinking what she experienced was a food allergy.
I'm Cassidy and I live in Austin, TX.

My pup is Kagome, a 9-year-old Pittie Mix who I foster failed in 2015.

She was tested for EPI on April 19th, 2023 and it came back negative for the usual markers.

She did however have low B12 and high Folate... so now we are chasing this trail... or tail?

More journey to come.

MamaOfGomo

Post by MamaOfGomo » 22 May 2023, 14:36

Although I've heard a lot of places that their body can't detect protein if it's been hydrolyzed, so maybe it was something else in the food? Not sure.

She was tested for EPI on April 19th, 2023 and it came back negative for the usual markers.

She did however have low B12 and high Folate... so now we are chasing this trail... or tail?

More journey to come.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 24 May 2023, 11:05

you have to do what you have to do

just keep a record of everything

Good luck
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

MamaOfGomo

Post by MamaOfGomo » 08 Jun 2023, 21:14

Kagome was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy today. She had an episode of sorts last Thursday, so we brought her to the ER where they saw she had an enlarged heart. On Monday we got x-rays, and today an echocardiogram. They believe it was diet induced due to research done on gluten free diets and DCM. She's been on gluten free food due to her gut issues which have a high amount of legumes in them, and low taurine, which causes heart issues. Just wanting to share with others about being careful with legumes and low taurine with gluten free diets. She's now slowly getting on 4 different heart meds and could have heart failure at any time.

Good luck to everyone here who's just trying to do their best!

More journey to come.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Jun 2023, 21:34

I am so sorry to read this. I hope one of the meds is Vetmedin(pimobendin) . That worked wonders for Kiya. Keep us up to date.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.