Myah's Story - 10 years old now!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Myah's Mom
Pet name: Myah

Myah's Story - 10 years old now!

Post by Myah's Mom » 22 Jun 2023, 03:15

Hi folks,

First, I want to say I'm grateful you are all still here supporting each other and providing a great resource. Myah was diagnosed by Texas A&M University 8 years ago at 2 years of age. Like many here, I was bewildered and overwhelmed, trying everything to make my girl better. She stabilized and we move on with our lives, and it's been so long since I've posted, I had to make a new account! I guess that's a good sign, lol.

Myah was a "hot mess" back when she was diagnosed, with what I call "banana yellow squirts" poop, a loss of 30 pounds :shock: and curling up on the corner of my bed miserable. I took a lot of what I learned here, combined with my own research (I'm a biotech/medical person) and my WONDERFUL vet who's seen his fair share of GSDs with EPI, and we rehabilitated Myah quite well and quite fast. (I will add, that is in retrospect...at the time it was stressful and seemed like forever!).

Our plan is a little different than what is commonly read here, although it takes many of the same themes. I'm not judging, just providing what worked for us and why we chose to go that route.

*Low fiber, quality kibble (we've changed over the years, but grain free, limited ingredients is what we looked for)
*Enzyme Diane - oh my gosh, this angel needs a lifetime achievement award!!! We mixed and fed (didn't let "sit" but just for a minute or two)
*Trinfac B-12 Intrinsic Factor pills (one in the morning)

The ^^ above is her continued regimen.

Now, back in the day of total GI mayhem (those banana yellow squirts are SIBO!), we added the following as a "pre-meal slurry":

*Vitamin E 400 IU
*GastroElm Plus (they don't see it anymore, but essentially it's Slippery Elm bark with a little Milk Thistle)

And we gradually increased food to 150%. Also, we DID have a SHORT round of Tylan, but we DID NOT continue it beyond (I think it was) 2 weeks. Tylan has a little anti-inflammatory effect (which is why is works well) with its antibiotic properties, but antibiotic resistance (and thus encouraging dependence on it) was something we wanted to avoid. And it worked. She never needed it again.

Myah was at her rock bottom in October that year (me crying at the vet, her looking pathetically ill) and she was back to full weight, energy and beauty by December. We were thrilled. That was 2015.

A couple things I've learned along the way:

1. Don't freak out and don't keep stressing. Easier to say, right? Believe me, I know. But our dogs pick up on our worries, fears and anxieties, and their bodies are already a "hot mess", so adding YOUR stress to THEIR stress is just exponential and not helping. For the majority of dogs, once you get on a program, they WILL get better. Stick with the program. It will be okay. My EPI experienced vet wasn't worried, so why should I be? I backed off reading this forum (my own fault, as I was beginning to obsess about every little detail of EPI) and we settled in to our new lives with Enzyme Diane. :)

2. You will never fully stop being a "poop detector", but in most cases, you will mostly hang that hat up and unless you forgot to give enzymes, or your dog decided to find his/her own snack some other way. Otherwise, the poops will be fine and you will be too. We've had 8 years of great poops. You'd never know this dog was any different. But I'm lucky in that the family is well trained in feeding her regimen.

3. Diane, or "Enzyme Diane" as we call her, is a huge angel to us all. Once I had to call her, she picked up the phone and I said, "Is this Diane?" She said, "Yes." I said, "Oh my gosh, YOU are Enzyme Diane!" We chuckled. I'm sure she's heard it million time seven, as they say. Wonderful lady. Sometimes the price of the enzymes were a hardship, other times they weren't. We made it and trudged forward with a lot of healthy years with Myah, so money well spent.

4. Medications need to be given with food and enzymes! We supplement quality kibble with Honest Kitchen dehydrated, and let me tell you, medications given without a little food and enzymes just won't metabolize properly. Myah has anxiety (came on during her EPI crisis) and is well managed except for car rides, so we have to give her a little medication "help" to ride in the car. No enzymes? No effect, no dice. She'll be trying to exit the car, stage left - or climb up in front and try to drive the car herself, all the while crying her Whine Song. Medications with enzymes and a little food? We are traveling in peaceful bliss. So we assume the same effects/requirements with antibiotics, heartworm chewies, pain meds, etc. It all goes in her FOOD with ENZYMES.

5. A short note about "emergency" enzymes: If you run out of Enzyme Diane (God forbid) and use some porcine Pancreatin off Amazon (we did), please know that the lipase (fat enzymes) are not in the same ratio. In 8 years of perfect EPI balance and bliss, Myah's belly went to hell in a handbasket. Loud gurgling, diarrhea and boom - the banana yellow squirts. OMG! Aren't these supposed to work? Well, dog food has a higher fat ratio than the ideal human diet, so after calculating the lipase being only half of what Enzyme Diane is, I increased Myah's carbs by reducing her normal food and adding a baked potato without skin (she was fully GI upset mode). Why potato? Why not increase protein? Well, protein is going to bring FAT with it. And FAT is precisely the lowball issue with the Pancreatin made for human folks. The 50/50 mix of skinless baked potato/Honest Kitchen diet fixed it within 24 hrs. Hopefully, that helps you if you're in that situation. Confession: I didn't bake the potatoes, I microwaved them. ;)

So, here we are at age 10, living with EPI for a full 8 years with 99% smooth saiing. We've traveled together, hiked, camped, swam in rivers, lakes the ocean and continue to make friends along the way. She's still doing great.

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture - just imagine the most beautiful, dark black and tan female with an amazing coat, strong build and smile on her face in the afternoon sunlight. EDIT: I just read now; will try a pic later.

I hope you and your fur baby are doing great as well.

Myah's Mom

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Myah's Story - 10 years old now!

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jun 2023, 18:50

HI Myah's mom and THANK YOU for your fantastic post and sharing with us Myah's wonder AND positive EPI journey!

Most especially thank you for sharing about implementing the extra Vitamin E ... as we now know, EPI dogs, no matter how much enzymes they are given with their food continue to be depleted in lipid soluble vitamins, one of the main ones being Vitamin E . See research on this page:
https://epi4dogs.com/epi-research/
titled "Serum Concentrations of Lipid Soluble vitamins in dogs with EPI"

And that is interesting that you gave Myah that Gastro product that was nothing more than SLippery ELm with Milk THistle. I personally use Milk thistle often, but your journey notes reminds me that i probably should suggest Milk Thistle a lot more than what i do. It is a great liver cleanser!

Funny about your incubation time.... a long tie ago, a handful of us tried different "incubation" times with or dogs to see what the least amount of incubation time our dogs needed.... and the results were all varied from one another... but overall, the 20 minutes increment seemed to be the best middle of the road incubation time, hence why we use it as a general guideline. BUt some dogs, like Myah, don't need 20 minutes, but then there are many others that do, and some unfortunately even need a little more time....but this seems to be how it is with EPI dogs... they are all "unique" and that is putting it mildly :lol:

i LOVE your 5 bullet points... and OMG, you can't stress your #1 enough.... as they sure do pick up on stress.
As scary as EPI sounds, once you get the hang of "your" individual' dog's EPI situation.... it is really not that hard to manage. I have had dogs with allergies, EPI, Cushings, IMHA, Central Brain Inflammation, and quite honestly, EPI was one of the easier conditions to manage.

Regarding the carb/fat.... good point about the high fat with too much protein "if" your EPI dog is extra sensitive to too much fat. This is a different viewpoint from what we typically suggest..... as very often, it is too much carbs that will trigger SID to get out of control... But great that you mentioned this opposing response because this drives home the point that EPI dogs are "unique" and we really do have to try things one-at-a-time.... and what works for one EPI dog is no guarantee that it will work for all EPI dogs. SO.... this is yet another thing that we can add to our EPI arsenal to try when things are not coming together as expected.

Thank you for this lovely and very informative post. I hope others will take the time to read it. And that Myah is doing great.... If you want, please feel free to email me ([email protected]) Myah's picture and i will post here :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Jun 2023, 23:44

Wow what a post! Thank you for finding us again and posting. Thank you for sharing what does and doesn't work.
Mickey had chronic pancrestitis and Gastro Elm was a lifesaver! I still use it with my current pups.
You are right, Diane is a lifesaver!
Don't be a stranger.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Jun 2023, 16:58

Dear Myah's Mom,
That was such a beautiful and informative post. I think you expressed many of our thoughts and feelings as we went through the ups and downs of dealing with EPI. The beginning stage was like being in a jungle, trying to clear away the branches and bushes so we could see if we were on the right path......or on any path! Having the more experienced people going ahead of us to clear the way was so helpful. And now you are doing it for others. Thank you. Myah is beautiful. And so lucky to have you.

Barb