Prayers for Tucker

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Re: Prayers for Tucker

Post by Michaela » 16 Jul 2023, 16:01

I just remembered something, but I think they need to save a tissue sample, maybe it's not too late? Has your vet mentioned trying something like "FidoCure" at all?

https://blog.fidocure.com/hs-search-results?q=hemangiosarcoma&type=BLOG_POST&type=LISTING_PAGE

https://www.germanshepherds.com/threads/new-cancer-resource-fidocure-targeted-cancer-therapy.772175/#post-9373173

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jul 2023, 21:10

Hi Pam,
i am so so SO sorry to hear this about Tucker.... my heart goes out to you and to Tucker. I am thankful to Michalea for reaching out to you about the https://www.germanshepherds.com/ group.... hopefully they can help.

Please know even if you just need a place to come to and vent or just let it all out.... that we are here for you ...

Saying prayers for Tucker and you too!
HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Jul 2023, 06:56

Michaela wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 16:01 I just remembered something, but I think they need to save a tissue sample, maybe it's not too late? Has your vet mentioned trying something like "FidoCure" at all?

https://blog.fidocure.com/hs-search-results?q=hemangiosarcoma&type=BLOG_POST&type=LISTING_PAGE

https://www.germanshepherds.com/threads/new-cancer-resource-fidocure-targeted-cancer-therapy.772175/#post-9373173
Michaela, yes, I did see that from a member who had done tons of research in Minnesota. I think that may be out of reach for us, but other suggestions, like a pill form of chemo, may be possible to help slow down Tuck's demise. The person on the GSD forum also said their bill for spleen & tumor surgery was $2,000, where UF charged $7,000, so I think I'll leave the rest to my holistic back yard vet. My focus with Tucker will be on making his life as enjoyable as I can, still holding out a small amount of hope for a miracle. I go back & forth, between listening to family members who are appalled by my "yes" decision on the surgery vs euthanasia, to utter grief when I think about losing him. It's nice to have your support.
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 17 Jul 2023, 09:03

I bet that post was from "Magwart", I believe her husband is a veterinarian. We are in Texas, and $2,000 for this type of surgery sounds very low to me. I can't imagine what this surgery would cost at Texas A&M.

Our situation was different because of Nikki's age (13.5) and vestibular disease on top of everything else. Looking at her ultrasound and seeing that tumor, it was still very hard for me not to pursue treatment. You just want to make it better for them :(

So, I completely understand that you decided to move forward with surgery for Tucker, I would have done the same. How is Tucker doing today?

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Jul 2023, 13:31

Hi Pam,

I am sorry to read that you are going through difficult times with Tucker. You have been such a good mom to him.. We went through something similar with Kolby. But he was 11 and his form of cancer was aggressive and fast moving. Tucker's situation may be different. My heart goes out to you as you deal with this. Sending you both light and love.

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Jul 2023, 14:36

Thank you, Barb. I have let go of the 10% chance Tucker hasn't got cancer, and accept the fact that I'm going to lose him one of these days. The surgeon says he is having arrhythmia, and she wants to keep him another night. But, she asked for approval to go over the high end estimate of $7,000, and I'm stuck. This problem could cause him to have a heart attack, and that's sad, but on the other hand I just don't know when to give up. My vet suggested I go visit him & decide based on that. I'll leave soon to go do that, and I'll let everybody know how that pans out.---P
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Jul 2023, 15:32

Oh Pam... my heart is simply breaking for you..........................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 18 Jul 2023, 15:19

Welllll....I just ordered a kilo of enzymes from Diane, if that tells you anything!

Yesterday I called my wonderful, farm animal, small pet, travelling, acupuncture & Chinese herbs, amazing vet, and I asked her what I should do. Practically speaking, two family members who were revived from cardiac arrest have said that it was actually a wonderful feeling, and I thought, if I'm probably gonna lose him anyway, why would I add to his treatment? It sounds a little strange, I know. But when to say when?

Her advice was to go visit Tucker, and if he acted like *GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!*, then I should go with my gut. So that's what I did, and that's exactly what he did, too. Wearing a huge plastic cone with peanut butter smeared all over it, bleary-eyed and bumping into everything, he told me he wanted to go home. My husband and grandson were with me, and we all agreed. We brought him home, "against medical advice". And he is thriving. And so am I.

I'm not kidding myself, I know what's going to happen, and if I don't need all those enzymes, I'll pass them back to Diane. But right now I'm feeling like maybe, just maybe, I'll get to keep my sweet boy till at least Christmas. I'll let you know each step along the way. Thanks, Guys. So very much.

---Pam & Tucker

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Jul 2023, 16:54

hi Pam,

IMHO... that was very good advice. I too firmly believe that most animals will let you know when they are "done" (i always feel that they tell you by the look in their eyes)...... and it sounds like that is what your amazing vet suggested to you. And it sounds like you have made peace with your decision too.... full well knowing that you honestly don't know how long or short Tucker will remain with you.... but you will take whatever time he is comfortable giving you.

I can only imagine how difficult this decision was and my heart was breaking for you.... treasure the time you now have with Tucker and please feel free to update us whenever you have the time.

Sending you many comforting hugs and sending Tucker healing vibes too!!!!!!!!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 18 Jul 2023, 17:22

Olesia----so many grateful hugs to you. By the time we got to the hospital yesterday, Tucker had been weaned off the lidocaine that was treating the arrhythmia, and his heart was then normal. That was nice, but we would have brought him home anyway. Next week we'll get the results from the tumor sample and liver biopsy. But yes, as we all know, each decision is so, so hard. My family could ill afford the $7,000 bill, but I know that if I had opted to let him go on Sunday, my grief would have been overwhelming. Like Jill said, you can't put a price tag on that. Whew!!!---P