A few days in

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: A few days in

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 13 Oct 2023, 20:14

KW, I just noticed the word "frozen" food, in one of your posts. I'm not sure how you prep that food to serve it, but be aware that cold deactivates enzymes, and heat kills them. Room temperature, all the way, is where everything in her dish should be. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Oct 2023, 14:47

hi KW,

I am not familiar with a Cobalaquin "Vitamin".. i only know of Cobalaquin B12 that includes 5 MTHF that helps the B12 be optimally processed. Only B12 is in this product, no other vitamins.

if this is the product you are using:
https://www.cobalequin.com/
then i don't think there is enough folate to supplement a folate deficiency.

https://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/ ... formation/

"In case of decreased serum folate concentrations, folic acid supplementation is recommended. The recommended dose is 200 mcg for cats and smaller dogs (<20 kg BW) and 400 mcg for larger dogs (20 kg BW) PO once daily for 4 weeks 3. It is important to address the proximal small intestinal disease that is suspected as the underlying cause of the decreased serum folate concentration"
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CocoLab
State: Virginia
Pet name: Kah'la
My name: KW

Post by CocoLab » 21 Oct 2023, 06:21

So it is now looking like our girl has a belly full of cancer. Thank you to the dedicated staff of Virginia Veterinary Centers in Richmond/Midlothian, Virginia. What we do without folks like you. God Bless you all.

With the bigger problem of cancer in the background, can you please confirm for me that the enzyme will Not help with Diarrhea, and that it only helps her absorb nutrients. Am I finally understanding this correctly? Thank you.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Oct 2023, 10:10

I am so sorry about the cancer diagnosis.
The enzymes break the food down so it can be absorbed instead of being excreted as chewed up food. It does help with diarhhea when coupled with B12 with Intrinsic Factor, low fiber grain free food and either Tylan or Pro/Prebiotoc. Is your pup not wanting to eat with enzymes on the food?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Oct 2023, 19:40

I am so so sorry to hear that you sweetie has cancer......this is devastating news.... and my heart is breaking for you.........

the enzymes will help with whatever diarrhea is caused by EPI and as you surmised and Jill explained, the enzymes will also help with absorption of the nutrients..... HOWEVER.....i am pretty sure about the following..... but please ask your vet to confirm this...... that the cancer itself may also be triggering loose stools .... if so this may be why you think the enzymes are not working.

with a 4.3 TLI test score, i would definitely continue giving the enzymes... (at the right dose) .... since you are also dealing with cancer, your girl is going to need to absorb all the nutrition that she can to help fight the cancer as best she can.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CocoLab
State: Virginia
Pet name: Kah'la
My name: KW

Post by CocoLab » 22 Oct 2023, 06:34

Love to All. Thank you again.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 24 Oct 2023, 16:42

KW, I am so sorry your sweet pup has cancer. We had a similar experience with our Kolby. After 11 years of treating EPI successfully, he became distressed one evening and when we took him to the vet, he was filled with fluid, related to an aggressive form of cancer. We were shocked beyond words......my heart goes out to you. Know that we are with you. The positive part of this was that we were able to sit with him all night and be with him during his transition in total peace and love.

Sending you Light and Love

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 24 Oct 2023, 18:21

KW, I am dealing with cancer in my sweet dog, too. If you see this, you can email me & maybe we can compare notes. It may be of interest on the forum...I've gotten good advice about how to prioritize the various supplements, etc. Tucker decided, after four years, that he no longer likes enzymes, so there have been adjustments to be made.

I am so sorry you're having to go through this. It is so, so hard. Take care---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 25 Oct 2023, 16:11

This is devastating and my heart goes out to you.
My mom's dog was diagnosed with stomach cancer and was giving two months to live. This was almost two years ago. He doesn't have EPI and I am not sure how that factors into everything. No treatment, nothing really done differently. This is all anecdotal, but hope is not all lost.