Vet advice

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Vet advice

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Dec 2023, 11:29

Jeremy... i know Eddie doesn't have totally uncontrolled SID diarrhea.... and i agree that increasing the Tylan should help.... but... while i am thinking of it... (since this has not come up in a long while)... just a FYI tidbit..... there have been situations where the care-giver has trouble getting SID/SIBO (dysbiosis) under good control even while on the "standard" Tylan twice a day dosage..... and what has worked in some of these difficult cases is to take the high end of the Tylan dose and break it out into 3 daily applications vs. 2 daily applications. This little trick has actually helped some of the more difficult cases.

Please do keep us posted on how Eddie does with the increased Tylan dose.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

lylzzf3841
State: Oregon
Pet name: Leo

Post by lylzzf3841 » 16 Dec 2023, 17:35

I think I saw couple of studies saying low dosage showing same efficacy in controlling diarrhea replase. e.g. https://actavetscand.biomedcentral.com/ ... 014-0043-5
Is it not the case with EPI?

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 16 Dec 2023, 18:18

While the maintenance dose is plenty good enough for the vast majority of EPI dogs, my dog has/had meningitis and is on two immune suppressants. He has a hard enough time fighting of infections as it is. Every once in a while we have to bump up antibiotics or other treatments.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Dec 2023, 12:27

Whenever anyone needs to resort to using Tylan to get SID/SIBO (dysbiosis) under better management. It is best to start with a full dose as recommended. ANd then, we on the forum found that instead of stopping the Tylan after the 45 days... if you do a slow reduction the amount and frequency of the Tylan given over the following 3 weeks..... sometimes.... this actually helps many dogs avoid the SID acting out of control fairly soon after the stopping the antibiotic. MAny times this works, but not always.

ANd then some of the really severe cases do better when the Tylan daily dose is split into 3 times instead of 2 times daily dose.

And then some dogs need to be on a small maintenance dose for the rest of their lives, while others only have to take Tylan if/when needed.

And then some dogs have lots of other health issues going on and the vet has to adjust how much and how often the Tylan needs to be given due to other health factors.

ANd last but not least, although rarely, but it does happen....sometimes the Tylan doesn't work... and has to be used in conjunction with another antibiotic or the vet has to figure out something else completely..

Needless to say, we have standard protocols in how to manage these EPI dogs.... but we often have to "tweak" / adjust what is recommended to best suit our individual EPI dog's situation.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........