Yogurt Treats?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Cmsphx
State: Arizona
Pet name: Willow
My name: Christine

Yogurt Treats?

Post by Cmsphx » 19 Nov 2023, 16:57

Prior to her EPI diagnosis, my dog enjoyed frozen yogurt treats mixed with fruit. I freeze them in small ice cube trays. Are these treats something that she can never have again? Is there a way I can make these safe for my EPI dog? My non-EPI dog loves them also and I feel like she missing out on treats because my EPI dog no longer gets treats.

I have read the recipes on this forum but I don't have a dehydrator.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Yogurt Treats?

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Nov 2023, 17:26

Hi Christine, once your pup has been stable (once you have all aspects of Epi under control)meaning good poops consistently for probably a month or two you could try feeding a small treat right after an enzymed meal and see if it throws his poop off.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 19 Nov 2023, 17:50

In theory, you can mix enzymes into the yogurt and freeze them. You will want to incubate them for twenty minutes or so after mixing them. In order to make sure the enzymes fully work. I say in theory, because I haven't tested it out and have no idea how much enzymes will be needed. There is also a chance that your dog doesn't need enzymes at all in these treats. I can safely give my Eddie a small treat throughout the day with no enzymes and he does fine. I agree with Jilbert, as to wait until they are stable. You basically want a solid foundation when you go to experiment with treats. I will leave the when up to you.
It is possible that the cold might neutralize the enzymes and render them useless. You might need to try different yogurts and see which one works better. Overall, one bad poop isn't the end of the world. You might decide that it is worth it regardless of what happens. Just take it slow and use a log (if needed) and hopefully you can find a way to give them their favorite treats.

gabi_ross
State: New York
Pet name: Ronny
My name: Gabriel

Post by gabi_ross » 23 Nov 2023, 00:07

Hi! My Ronny also likes to eat yoghurts sometimes, but usually they are home-made yoghurts, not from the store. Does your dog eat store-bought? Maybe try homemade, they have a lot of probiotics, which also helps to improve digestion. But the main thing is not to overheat the milk during cooking. Here it is most important to maintain a constant temperature of milk during fermentation, and this is about 40-45 degrees Celsius. Keeping the temperature is very important, because otherwise all the beneficial bacteria can die. I usually check the temperature with a regular kitchen thermometer like these. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/7-best-m ... tsev-unnae Another important condition is the duration of fermentation. It takes from 6-8 hours for the yogurt to thicken. Do not overdo the milk in a warm place, otherwise a lot of whey will be released, and the product itself will be sour. I hope this treat will please your dogs and help to keep healthy ;)

wilkinsonwilfrid
State: Arkansas
Pet name: miii

Post by wilkinsonwilfrid » 18 Dec 2023, 04:02

Greetings, Christine, Once your puppy has stabilized (i.e., when all parts of Epi are under control, meaning he has regular, good poops for at least a month or two), you may want to try giving him a little treat immediately after an enzyme meal to see whether it affects his poops.