Maezi dx cancer

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
wandaMaeZi
Pet name: Maezi
My name: wanda

Maezi dx cancer

Post by wandaMaeZi » 29 Dec 2023, 15:10

Hello all. Tis been awhile .
Maezi has been doing well - she developed Cushings 2 years ago that has been managed well with meds .
Her EPI has been in check for a long long time 😊
She had an ACL surgery 2 years ago that she recovered from amazingly .
We recently brought her In to check Cushings level which turned out to be low so we upped her trilostane & also started her on labrelle for arthritic pain .
We noted her drooling & a tinge of blood & brought her into vet that day .
Vet initially through was broken tooth & booked surgery for next day.
Was while anesthesiazed vet called to say she found a large β€œmass” on back of her tongue which was the issue & recommends new plan to remove that.
They sent off sample of it - Dec 23 got call pathologist confirm was cancer & that her meta rate is 14 (she says they call 5 high )
They conferred with oncologist & called Dec 27 - to relay sad news that it is a very aggressive cancer.
Options not Great πŸ˜•
We are going in today to talk over with her vet at 4:00 ❀️.

She is the most loved & spoiled cattle dog on the planet 🌎 πŸ’™
my name is Wanda & my girl Maezi is a blue heeler from BC Canada
Our EPI story/journey is featured under "EPI4DOGS story"> EPI Reports> EPI Tails
DX at age one-- feed 1cup now fresh senior w 1 tsp enzyme diane 6x twice daily
She is the most loved & spoiled catteldog on the Planet 8-)

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Maezi dx cancer

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Dec 2023, 15:16

Oh my gosh Wanda I remember Maezi when I first started here with Mickey! I am so sorry to hear of her cancer diagnosis. I hope a plan can be put in motion.
Big hugsπŸ€—

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Dec 2023, 10:22

Oh Wanda..... i am so so SO sorry to hear this. Maezi is one very special cattle dog with an amazing bond with you.... i remember all that both you and her have been thru. My favorite picture is of you and her sitting on top of a big boulder with beautiful vista's in the background. The love between the two of you just radiated in that picture......

My heart goes out to you while you meet with the vet today..... please know that we are here for you with whatever decision you and your vet decide on for Maezi....

Sending you tons of emotional, caring and kind support,

(The other Ukie)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

wandaMaeZi

Post by wandaMaeZi » 31 Dec 2023, 14:05

Hello Jill - I recall mickey 😊
Was thinking of all the great pups & parents who helped us out at start - butterbean - Izzy - ms lulupants - Jean - Diane - so many others …
So very thankful for all
&
Thanks olesia -

The dx not good 😌 the extremely high rate of spread πŸ™ not a lot of time before gets worse .
palliative care πŸ’™ hurts my heart so much … vet started her on Benadryl & Pepcid as it will help- Gabapentin for pain.

We have such a bond - she knows I am sad & she sticks so close to me .
We still go for daily short walk one of our fave places . She rests a lot - eats very good - spoilng her with treats 😘 spend lots time lounging together 🐢πŸ₯°
She tries play with tikka still 🐢🐢

She is truly an amazing girl πŸ’™πŸΆ
Our EPI story/journey is featured under "EPI4DOGS story"> EPI Reports> EPI Tails

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Dec 2023, 16:31

Wanda.... my heart breaks for you..... and for Maezi. .....there are no words to make things better :(

Intellectually i know that their time is so much shorter than our time.... but emotionally it still just hurts so much.
Treasure all the moments you have with her, and please know that we are here if you just need someone or some place to simply talk...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Dec 2023, 17:27

Aw Wanda that is so sad. I am glad you can be together for quality time. My aussie before Mickey was on the Benadryl/Tagamet protocol for osteosarcoma. He did pretty well.
Hugs to you and Maezi

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

wandaMaeZi

Post by wandaMaeZi » 04 Jan 2024, 21:16

We took her to wells gray park
On January 1st
Was first place we took her as a pup
For an outing❀️
She had a good day followed
by a couple bad days ..
Today took her to the local trail along river
For short walk …. Resting since ..

Intellectually yes know is only getting worse ..emotionally is heart wrenching πŸ’”

Not like see her hurting ..

Any words advice experience

Wanda &
Maezi mine πŸ’™πŸΆ

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Jan 2024, 12:07

Oh Wanda,

It is heart-wrenching knowing that they are in the twilight of their days....... the ONLY words i have that may be considered as advice, but i am hesitant to even label this as such cause every situation is unique and also personal..... As of Feb 13th it will have been 4 years since i said goodbye to Izzy.... and as much as i am now enjoying the "new" dog, Cody... my heart STILL aches for Izzy. As a matter of fact, last night, once again, i cried a little before going to sleep simply because i still miss her. I think i always will.

WHen i knew Izzy's end was near, we did everything we could to make her life easy... i was with her pretty much 24/7, i turned down going places cause i didn;t want to leave her side, but by then, Izzy lost most of her vision too. I did not force food on her, just made sure she had whatever she needed available. if she didn't finish something, i adjusted around it, i guided her with a short leash, so that she didn't get confused or nervous when we went outside. i also tried to stick to routines as much as possible for familiarity with her.

I always believed that they will let you know/communicate with you, somehow, some way to let you know that it is time. I feel that Izzy did this with us the last 4 days of her life. SO as not to upset her (she no longer liked going "elsewhere") i called to make arrangements to have her euthanized in our home., a place where she was comfortable. When i made the appt, the vet could not come the day i asked for, but had to come a day later. I called around to see if i could get someone else to come to no avail.

The day before the vet was scheduled to come, Izzy had a rough time (her kidneys were failing) .... if i could go back and change anything.... this is the one thing i would have changed.... i would have called the vet sooner .....

Like i said.... this is so personal , i do not know if this helps or not, all i know is watching their end of time with us is the most heart-breaking thing.............
HUGS!