EPI and castration

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Marlies
Pet name: Lilo

EPI and castration

Post by Marlies » 28 Jan 2024, 19:50

Hi everybody!
I‘m Marlies and my dog Lilo is female mixed breed of 1 3/4 years and 15 kg, diagnosed with EPI when she was 1 1/2 years old.
It started right away, from one day to the other, 1 week after the end of her second heat, up to then everything had been normal (except a mild giardiasis when she was a pup).
Even though I‘m a vet, it took me 1,5 weeks to even get an idea of what’s going on, because she is my first EPI patient in 18 years (and the sudden onset is not really typical)
Her first cTli was 2,2 (3 months ago) and 1,15 (1 1/2 month ago)
At the moment LILO’s doing quite fine with the enzymes and the diet, but she is still struggling with constant reflux.
Now My main question is whether castration is recommended before her next heat?
I‘m afraid that the next heat could cause another autoimmune reaction in her body, but I can‘t find anything related in literature.

The second question is about the reflux: I‘ve tried nearly everything to get it under control, LILO’s doing best with Sucralfat (1/2 an hour before her meals) and Natron (1 hour after)
Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks a lot for your input!
and I‘m sorry for my english :roll:

Marlies

Re: EPI and castration

Post by Marlies » 28 Jan 2024, 19:56

Here’s Lilo
IMG_4622.png
IMG_4622.png (2.43 MiB) Viewed 934 times

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Jan 2024, 20:08

Hi Marlies and thanks for asking these questions..... interestingly enough..... my female EPI dog, Izzy, who is the dog that started this website.... was also diagnosed with EPI at 1.5 years old immediately after her first heat cycle (her expected earlier one never happened!) and i too had the same question.... when would it be okay to have her spayed......

the answer is as soon as their body is stable... or has recovered. In other words, if the dog lost a lot of weight or has a lot of muscle atrophy..... just wait until the body has recovered from the ravages of pre-diagnosed EPI .

For us, we waited until 3 months after her EPI diagnosis when she was started on enzymes, an appropriate diet and we got her dysbiosis under good control. By 3 months later, Izzy had recovered most of her weight, was eating well, and no longer acted "feral" . That was when seh went in for her spay and all was well.

Many others have spayed or neutered their dog after EPI diagnosis, and again, they were all advised that it is fine to do, once the body has somewhat recovered.

With regards to the reflux. Sucralfate works, but i personally prefer SLippery ELm powder (as it is a natural substance without any adverse effects).... however, i am not sure if you can get the powder in Austria, which is where you live???

The other product that many EPI dogs use for the reflux, is Omeprazole which seems to work best.... for a while... and then it stops working (i have no idea why this happens) but when it stops working, if you just use a different product temporarily for about a month or so, then you can go back to using omeprazole and all should be fine.

I am not sure if what happens with extended use of Omeprazole happens with other acid reflux meds.... but if you were using a product and it stopped working, try using a different product for a while but then go back to the first product and see if it appears to work again.

I hope this helps :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Jan 2024, 20:08

OMG... i just saw her picture AFTER i typed my response..... what a little cutie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Marlies

Post by Marlies » 28 Jan 2024, 21:06

Hi Olesia,
thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, I‘m from Austria.
And I‘ve already tried slippery elm powder for 3 weeks. But it didn’t quite help her with the acid reflux, she even stopped eating.

Omeprazol helped, but I don’t want to give it longterm, because of some kind of rebound effect when you stop.

:D I’ve also tried flea seed and apple pectins, and caricol gastro, some kind of papaya mousse.
With sucralfat she’s doing best at the moment, but I‘m not sure about the side effects when she get‘s it longterm. I also would prefer something natural, but I‘m too afraid to change anything, now she‘s finally doing fine

I do have so many more questions, but it‘s 3 a.m right now in Austria, I have to get up in 4 hours from now - can I text back tomorrow?

Thanx a lot for your help

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Jan 2024, 10:28

of course... feel free to post/text anytime ...

P.S. impressed with you trying many "naturals" sorry that none really worked.... but at least you tried them :)

The one adverse effect of sucralfate is that it will up blood sugar... but this is not a worry unless you have a dog that also has diabetes. My EPI dog developed Diabetes and IMHA.... and with all the meds that they had to put her on for the IMHA, they put her on Sucralfate. I was testing her blood myself and the Sucralfate raised her blood sugar..... when i stopped it and used Slippery Elm, the blood sugar dropped ..... and then (as i have been taught to "proof" ) when i restarted the Sucralfate, the blood sugar increased again. SO i had to stop the Sucralfate and just kept her on the Slippery Elm. However in this situation, i was using the SLippery Elm as a mucilage coat/protectant.

plonkarchivist
Pet name: Hana
My name: Plonkar

Post by plonkarchivist » 29 Jan 2024, 22:30

I've experimented with flaxseed and apple pectins, as well as Caricol Gastro, a type of papaya mousse. Currently, she responds best to sucralfate, although I'm uncertain about potential long-term side effects. I would prefer a natural alternative, but I'm hesitant to make any changes while she's finally in good conditiondoodle baseball

Marlies

Post by Marlies » 30 Jan 2024, 07:49

Hi Olesia,
thanx for the information about sucralfate keeping the blood sugar high, I will keep that in mind. And maybe give the slippery elm another try…

How long did it took Izzy to develop diabetes and IMHA after the onset of EPI?

When shall I start checking?

Do you have any experience with giving Natron (sodium bicarbonate, baking soda) to neutralize the stomach acids?

Lilo gets it 1 hour after every meal, I believe it works, but here as well, no idea of long-term side effects.

Is it just a coincidence that Izzy and Lilo started EPI after their heating cycle, or can hormonal fluctuation encourage the outbreak?

I‘m very impressed with you helping so many people with epi4dogs. Thanks

Marlies

Post by Marlies » 30 Jan 2024, 07:56

And yes, LILO’s a cutie, but she can also look like this….
Attachments
IMG_4819.png
IMG_4819.png (4.6 MiB) Viewed 784 times

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Jan 2024, 12:57

ahhh.... Lilo is a fluffy cutie.... very cute... but then again, i am partial to the curly/shaggy dogs nowadays after having Spanish Water dogs.

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability....

How long did it took Izzy to develop diabetes and IMHA after the onset of EPI?
7 years after the EPI diagnosis. She was diagnosed with Diabetes, IMHA and Hypothyroidism all at the same time.
They finally decided that her IMHA was "idiopathic" However..... at the time, we lived in a log home, and i had the pest control people come in and spray the logs. they assured me the chemical was non-toxic as soon as it dried (which was fairly quickly)... but the next morning, i found 1 dead chicken leaning up again the house and 1 week later, Izzy developed IMHA. To this day, i think it was triggered by chemical toxicity, but have no way to prove it.
In running EPi4Dogs for 15+ years, we have seen thousands of EPI dogs come thru here and although a study was done years ago (unfortunately i can't remember or now find the study .... which i read about 10 years ago) to see if there was any connection between EPI + Diabetes + IMHA..... since there were a good handful of dogs with all 3..... no connection was ever established.

And the same goes for EPI + Diabetes. According to veterinarian research, amazingly these two conditions supposedly do not happen often together, however, again, since running the Epi4Dogs for over 15 years, we have seen so many EPI dogs that we have indeed seen a good handful of dogs with both EPI + Diabetes.... but not enough to say it is common for both.

When shall I start checking?
Only if you notice something is "off". unexplained weigh loss or weight gain, excessive drinking or peeing.

Do you have any experience with giving Natron (sodium bicarbonate, baking soda) to neutralize the stomach acids?
No experience. ALthough i understand it does work,,,,, but there are pros and cons. The biggest issue i have is that you have to be careful (toxicity and/or body over compensating for the salt imbalance and that in turn can trigger diarrhea) , and it should only be given short term. so my question is what do you do the rest of the time after the short term application is over......... as these dogs have on-going reflux issues..............

Lilo gets it 1 hour after every meal, I believe it works, but here as well, no idea of long-term side effects.

Is it just a coincidence that Izzy and Lilo started EPI after their heating cycle, or can hormonal fluctuation encourage the outbreak?
Over the years my private thoughts have flip-flopped as to what triggers EPI. Sometimes i think it is the food overall (over-processed, too many additives, not enough protein, poor soil with no longer enough needed nutrients to grow and/or sustain food) at other times, i think that maybe we are looking at things wrong and maybe SID/SIBO/Dysbiosis came first, possible virus connection kind of like ulcers in people that in turn triggers EPI. For example, THey have actually discovered that 30% of dogs that catch Parvo will go on to develop EPI.... and we have had multiple cases of different breed dogs./ no genetic connection but all developed EPI in the same home. BUt then again.... we have also seen multiple liter mates or pups from the same lineage where some get EPI and others do not. We have also had multiple dogs develop EPI after vaccines, a traumatic experience, heat cycles, or others, just because.
SOOOOOOOooo.... at this point the ONLY thing i a firm on is that "stress" can exacerbate the onset of EPI.... but why, i still have no idea.

We have collaborated with multiple vet universities and researchers, looked at gastrointestinal connections, genetic connections, and so far it has been like peeling an onion , we are learning more each time as more advanced technology comes along... but no definitive answer yet.

Currently Epi4Dogs is embarking on yet another genetic study, as there is some excitement about a new possibility..... and we actually found something that we need to pursue via the gastro research.....so we are trying very hard to find answers....we just have not gotten there yet.............. but we will keep trying!