Re-test B-12? Dog lost weight and not gaining back

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
cjjames
State: Florida
Pet name: Jade
My name: Christin

Re: Re-test B-12? Dog lost weight and not gaining back

Post by cjjames » 06 Feb 2024, 21:44

Eddiespaghetti wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 20:11 According to the enzyme Diane website, 1 teaspoon of the 6x equals 3/4th teaspoon of the 8x. In theory that is a 25 percent reduction in enzymes given. You might be able to give 1 teaspoon of the 8x and get rid of the undigested food. Without increasing the amount you have to give. What was thrown up when you first started giving the enzymes?
The yellow poo is probably from the SIDs starting to tear it's ugly head.
Gotcha I will probably order that next then. And it was just like a yellow slime that she would throw up which I assumed were the enzymes. I believe there was one time where it was a few pieces of kibble.
Man, I sure hope it's not but that's good to know. What is the diagnostic test to see if it is SiD?? Also do you think probiotics aggravate it by adding more bacteria? I give her Aller-immune bites for her allergies, which have a number of probiotics in them.

cjjames
State: Florida
Pet name: Jade
My name: Christin

Post by cjjames » 06 Feb 2024, 21:45

jilbert57 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 21:09 The TAMU protocol for B12 shots:

Shots: Once a week for 6 weeks then monthly until level 600 or above is reached.

For oral cobalamin supplementation:

Protocol: daily administration for a total of 12 weeks and re-check serum cobalamin concentration one week after finishing supplementation.

https://epi4dogs.com/b12-protocol/

Jill
Awesome, thank you!!

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 06 Feb 2024, 22:54

There really isn't a need to test for SIDs (short intestinal dybiosis) it's just an overgrowth of bacteria. All EPI dogs can and will get it. The best we can do it manage it. Slippery elm or Tylosin is the best option. Try slippery elm and if it doesn't work you can talk to your vet about Tylosin.
It does sometimes get worse for no real reason. At that point we start slippery elm or Tylosin again. It's a never ending cycle of hope and pray